http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/bu...ip.html?src=mv

glad nokia is at least partnered with them somewhat. As smartphone demand rises worldwide in places like India and China, it is going to come down more to who has resources than who has the 'best' whatever'

To me it seems the only competition for Nokia+Intel partnership would be Samsung. All others are at the mercy of these core component suppliers

well u know as powerful as these 2 put together is as weak as they r. i mean they might have enormous resources but if they dont produce and create the right ingredients then might as well give up.
by ingredients i mean the mixture of an extremly powerful OS and hardware that could not be beaten even if the competition tried. and a design that could be recognized at first glance. so far so good but if i know nokia they like stacking their smartphones if not they just add symbian to its list and see how fast that device gets thrown out the window. well not by me of'corz.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
A warehouse full of expensive goodies that nobody wants to buy is a liability.

Those who can seduce and generate demands, hold the true power in this market.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
A warehouse full of expensive goodies that nobody wants to buy is a liability.

Those who can seduce and generate demands, hold the true power in this market.
assuming you are referring to Apple with your seduction comments; it sure will be hard to meet demand for iphones if other handset manufacturers more friendly to intel get first dibs on infineon chips(Yes every iphone and ipad uses infineon radio chips)

Look at the recent issues with samsung restricting its display distribution and giving its own models first priority.

all the intel+nokia juggernaut would need for total domination is a display manufacturer

Last edited by quipper8; 2010-08-30 at 14:28.

The thread title is misleading. Intel might be one of the few entities that could afford the entire company, but certainly not for a mere 1.4 gigabucks. What Intel is buying is just Infineon's Wireless Solutions Unit.

glad nokia is at least partnered with them somewhat.
I don't think this is in any way relevant. The Nokia/Intel collaboration is on the software side, and Nokia make their own cellular modems anyway.

I remember having infineon RAM, it did quite well, maybe a useful addition to Intel...

Originally Posted by lma View Post
The thread title is misleading. Intel might be one of the few entities that could afford the entire company, but certainly not for a mere 1.4 gigabucks. What Intel is buying is just Infineon's Wireless Solutions Unit.

I don't think this is in any way relevant. The Nokia/Intel collaboration is on the software side, and Nokia make their own cellular modems anyway.

Nokia sold its wireless modem business to Renesas with future supply agreements. I think they might look favorably to supply from intel now as well, especially if there is integrated processor/modem chipset or something

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If there is supply scarcity, it all comes down to who's willing to pay the most for the parts in question.

In the case for Apple, intel can't afford to artificially hinders radio chipset supply for the iphone.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!