Active Topics

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
yehh.. i hate it too.. !!
i hate the sound of 'empty battery' of my phone every night.. so lets see if this works..

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
Leafpad works well also....
you can use whatever u want.

how long does it last? I can easily get more than 24hours with normal usage
it lasted for about 48h...

I have terrible battery life with chat on. Will this make a difference or is this one of those things that prolongs the battery as long as you don't use the device as intended always on device?
for what ive seen in a little test, pidgin eats less battery...

how do you edit and save the rcS file using midnight commander? i can locate it edit it but when i click save and it says i cant save?
try it being root, i use leafpad from terminal...

Not sure. Could you please give some explanation about this?

Originally Posted by ivnvir View Post

2) Disable indexer watching and indexer on battery.

And this too?
indexer runs everytime it thinks it needs to, and unfortunatelly, most of the time it shouldnt... so it spents battery.. theres also the thumbnails maker, wich eats processor and therefore battery...

ill post my config, but its nothing final, still testing it!

here are my tracker-cfg config, as I said, its not final, I'm still testing what's better
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivnvir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ktchiu View Post
I changed the swappiness to 30 and page-cluster to 1. From what I can tell, I no longer get the slowdowns in freezes in micob that I used to have. The conversations app seems to start up faster too.
Changing page-cluster from 5 to any lower value may cause some problems - it is assumed that eMMC cluster size is 128KB (page-cluster=5). That means eMMC chip writes only by 128KB blocks. So, if you write less than 128KB it may READ 128KB "sector", then replace some portion of it and write 128KB ---> slower speed and flash wear increase.

However, I am saying "may" because if eMMC chip is smart enough it can combine the multiple short sequential writes to a single 128KB in some buffer. Unfortunately, I don't know the specs of eMMC chip.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
To anybody, who wants changing swappiness or rcS, I repeat here -

I highly recommend to anybody who wants to change rcS - instead of that just create a file /etc/event.d/somename with following lines:

Code:
# my somename fix

start on started rcS-late

script
       echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
end script
... and insert any another wished lines after "echo 30" and before "end script"

This would not corrupt your N900 in case of problem and it allows the next Nokia OTA upgrade.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
My thumbnailerd is running.. even with BatteryIndex set to true.. this proccess is EVIL!
Anyone know how to REALLY disable it? I have all thumbs done.. NO NEED TO REDO IT HELL! This really pisses me off, f*kin overengineering :/

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by ivnvir View Post
My thumbnailerd is running.. even with BatteryIndex set to true.. this proccess is EVIL!
Anyone know how to REALLY disable it? I have all thumbs done.. NO NEED TO REDO IT HELL! This really pisses me off, f*kin overengineering :/
I don't know for sure but maybe if you disable "enable thumbnails" in tracker, doesn't that do the trick?

Thanks for all this info
Obrigado

Hello guys this seems nice and i would like to try it out, but i cant seem to figure out how,

if someone would please post step by step, on exactly how to do these both, it would be apreciated alot. thanks.!

Oh no!!!Copied the rcs file using winsp, modified the swappiness, cluter thing to 15 and 1, copied the file back and replaced the original. Changed the indexer settings as shown above. Switched off my device, changed the battery, switched it on. Nokia white screen shows for a few seconds and then device switches off again. Tried it five times and happens again and again. So I have now officially bricked my device.

And my usb port is faulty so I cannot even reflash the device. So I now have a dead device.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post: