Posts: 119 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brasilia, Brazil
I already have two 3G phones, that gsm radio just made it a lot more expensive than it had to be for more.

I must confess I'm much more interested in these tablets.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
The 70 looks really, really nice! Also I recall something about Archos being ok with dual-booting, which would be nice if true. Also, the price is great!

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=gb&lang=en

My only wish for the 70 is a higher resolution. While 800x480 is nice for phone-style apps, it seems to be a bit cramped for productivity apps (ie. ubuntu). At this res, although swell, I wouldn't be able to replace my netbook/notebook when on the road.

I really want to see how Android apps scale up to know if I really want a higher resolution.

Do you mean fully-fledged Ubuntu or Ubuntu for netbooks? I think the latter is probably more adaptable to small screen resolutions =)

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
I really want to see how Android apps scale up to know if I really want a higher resolution.

Do you mean fully-fledged Ubuntu or Ubuntu for netbooks? I think the latter is probably more adaptable to small screen resolutions =)
Android seems to scale up like a web page does: things flow into their new container sizes. Of course, you'll need a special interface to take advantage of the the higher resolution, but I suspect that a completely separate app wouldn't be necessary for features like this.

I'm planning on installing Ubuntu on the Tab, and using VNC to connect to the GUI when I need to and having used ubuntu extensively at 1024x600, I wouldn't go lower. It's not that the GUI isn't compact, it is (in fact netbook remix should be even better), its just that certain apps don't work well in such confined areas. It's bad inteface design for the app, though still a hindrance to running them at lower resolutions. This is why I need at least 1024x600 for a netbook replacement.

In addition, I find surfing the web at 1024x600 is very, very comfortable.

For CLI and certain gui apps, 800x480 should be quite fine, and a functional tablet resolution. The Archos looks great, and for the price, it's a compelling buy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Another benefit to the Archos 70, is they will offer a 'hard drive version' that has up to 250GiB storage! Wow!

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=ca&lang=en

I think that any if of these tablets have a keyboard dock that would allow me to use landscape or a case that works as a stand, I honestly think I could do away with a laptop for less hardcore every-day use, even at 800x480.

I mean they have office, pendrive support and everything. Specially if ur not afraid of the cloud, we've got something here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobbe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, the archos 70 and 101 have a full size usb-a port that should support a usb keyboard. And bluetooth foldable keyboards are always a option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
Eldar Murtazin said the price on 16Gb version in Europe would be 650-700 euro. About 1.1k bucks in Russia.

As for me, I don't like this phonish portrait style. 4:3 iPad type suits me more for internet browsing.

Last edited by qwenjis; 2010-09-04 at 14:04.

I'm quite certain that with a command-line ubuntu environment, I'll be able to avoid using a laptop on the road. I have a BT keyboard ($30) that works very well, and is very compact. I'm sure a small stand can't be hard to come by (or fashion from simple materials).

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think samsung have a case that can be folded into a stand planned. And all the archos models come with a stand built in (the 101 even have one with two angles, so one can use the onscreen keyboard more comfortably).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy