Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
You need to install and then reboot for Mobile Hotspot with its custom Kernel to work.

On my N900 it worked flawlessly - so flawless - that my 2 coleagues with their shiny new iPhone 4 could log into the N900's hotspot and then do facetime with each other's iPhones.

They literally were amazed that the N900 supported them in what their iPhones don't (over 3G).
jailbroken iphone can.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
just use pc suite or now ovi suite too. connect through usb and click connect to internet and youre done

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
any problems using mobile hotspot on mac?

Tried using Nokia PC Suite and this is what I got:

"In order to use the Internet On Your Phone, you must first sign up for one of the plans below...
We're sorry, we are not able to help you with a plan change here. Please check my.t-mobile.com or call customer care to complete this service change."

Basically I can use the 3G T-Mobile Internet connectio on my N900, but can't do so on my laptop. I am sure there is a way around this

Last edited by Dgonik; 2010-09-12 at 03:51.

Any ideas?

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time reader

I got the "subscription upgrade required" message a while ago. I installed VMWare Player with Ubuntu and set up the N900 in pc suite mode as a mobile broadband connection and it worked. I figured that it might be confusing enough to whatever method T-Mobile is using to detect tethering.

Wine works great for what I use, so this backup is worth the workaround

So you suggest I install ubuntu as a virtual os and try it from there?

Originally Posted by Dgonik View Post
So you suggest I install ubuntu as a virtual os and try it from there?
Definitely. It seems like it's a bit out of the way, but it's very quick if you leave Ubuntu suspended instead of powering it off when closing vmwareplayer.

Sorry for being a noob, but I can't seem to install Nokia PC Suite in Ubuntu 0.o, if I connect my phone and select PC Suite nothing happens. Alternatively, nokia doesn't seem to have PC suite for linux on their website.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Dgonik View Post
Tried using Nokia PC Suite and this is what I got:

"In order to use the Internet On Your Phone, you must first sign up for one of the plans below...
We're sorry, we are not able to help you with a plan change here. Please check my.t-mobile.com or call customer care to complete this service change."

Basically I can use the 3G T-Mobile Internet connectio on my N900, but can't do so on my laptop. I am sure there is a way around this
Are you subscribed to any T-Mo data plan ? If yes, try using the manual configuration in PC suite and change the APN to internet2.voicestream.com.

In ubuntu, you don't need PC Suite, you can just add a new Mobile Broadband connection using the above APN