Notices

I'm searching for a program to read books, saved in some of the familiars Win formats... And for the .pdf reader - he doesn't remember the page... It's irritating... Hope didn't botter you And I hope I hit the correct section ^^

Edit: Other formats which I can use(if there's no .txt free reading prog) - FB2, EPUB, SFB

Edi2t: The program is for Nokia N900

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Sh7d0w; 2010-09-03 at 16:42.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
If it is plain txt, espeak is able to do that. It's a command line tool, albeit not the prettiest one but it works with many different languages.

root -> apt-get install espeak

after that you change to the directory where your file is located and simply use espeak filename

If you just want to try it, install it and type espeak on the command line, followed by enter and your cursor will change. Anything you type after that will be spoken word as soon as you hit the enter key. Exit with Ctrl C. Alternatively you can give the command per line, like:

"say this out loud for me or I will uninstall you!" , followed, of course, by enter.

And what abou MGutenbrg? I'm searching something easier to use...

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Well, I wouldn't label it difficult. It's a single command and one paramater (the txt to be read).

I have had a quick look at MGutenberg when I got my machine. I searched for some books , without results, and ended up uninstalling the program. I don't know for sure whether it sports a speech engine, but I thought not.

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Are you looking for text-to-speech option? If so, you better get audiobooks read by real humans. TTS services are still all robotic. Otherwise fbreader, dorian, maebook are good options to read books on N900. fbreader is my current choice. I wish someone fix the calibre installation issue

I don't need text-to-speech function. I currently installed MGutenberg and it's cool - only need to keep the display lighted

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Detroit, MI
no mention of FBReader here? The best and most flexible reader for .txt files so far.

Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
no mention of FBReader here? The best and most flexible reader for .txt files so far.
fbreader and mebook.
most of the time i use fbreader. but i like options

ok i have tested all of them, let me tell you, my favorite is Dorian is very green need a lot of improvement but is very user-friendly, i love the interface and library view, i have an issue with the color Scheme, but just because im colorblind and the whole colored thing gives me a headache (when im reading as well as high contrast (black and white)), and the developer needs to add the note option (to make notes),and maybe impprove the gallery view a bit (adding the collection view, so whan you have the whole collection you can se it easier), it will read the book cover and put it in the gallery (very small though), but overall is good, has bookmarks, full screen, black and white read view, print size option, so far i think it only works with epub, im not sure abt this

The most usefull FBreader (no finger friendly uninstalled from my n900 almost in the moment i got it), that makes it very not cool to me but this app reads epub and fb2 books, so far only thoose types have been working for me in this app (i reinstalled the app to check functionality), has a very usefull gallery since you can have collections of books, but not very user friendly (at least to me).

the most friendly MeBook very usefull and great features lets you make notes and of diferent colors, the gallery view is a bit weird, this app lets you look for books from a specific free website, which is always nice to have this option, it has an issue when you select the bigger size for your prints it gets stuck, so i dont like it, and the size is not very big even if you selected 36 size...

MGuntenberg is good but i dont like the fact that it doesnt have library view, it let you search books on the Guntenberg proyect (i guess) and download the books, it does have invert colors view for when you are reading, but it doesnt have bookmarks i dont like this so i almost dont use it, at all.

and im waiting for kindle for maemo, because i have faith on impossibles lol

If by any chance any of the developers of this amazing apps read this (Specially Dorian developer), If you can make a grid view in the library instead of the list view... that will be amazing

Last edited by CYPHERC; 2010-09-05 at 21:56.