Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Again not everyone needs a phone that is why people have bought devices like Nokia Internet Tablets, Archos Internet Tablets, and iPod Touches because cellular service and the devices themselves are too expensive for some people.
Wrong. i didn't purchase my N800 because i didn't need a phone. I got it because it would be a nice addition to my phone. But I would rather have a tablet with phone cabalibilties than not. The N900 is almost right, but the screen is too small.

The N9 looks to be a perfect device, both phone and "tablet" in one; 4 inch screen, super camera, HDMI, real keyboard. Anything bigger than the N9 and I would be much better of with a netbook, which I already have.

A suggestion for everybody. Before you do something stupid, like buying an Android Tablet that is useless without a phone, or something even more stupid like an iWhatever. Sit down and think for a minute. Everything you need is in a device called the Nokia N9. The more I think about the N9, the more perfect it becomes Seriously!

Or at least get a Samsung Wave. Bada is cool

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thanks, Railroadmaster, for bringing attention to this. This is the form factor, price, lack of contract, more powerful processor, phone-free tablet I've wanted, although I'd have liked it to be Maemo/Meego from Nokia. But this is exactly what I want as a successor to the N800/N810: 4.3" screen in a 130 gram pocket-able package. It even has a kickstand.

(Silvermountain's UMPC alternatives, like the Viliv N5, weigh 388 grams and 300 grams -- way too much for me.)

I'm even happy they didn't waste money on the camera. If I want decent photos, I'm going to use a dedicated camera. 2 Megapixel is probably adequate for snapshots and for apps like the ones that identify things from barcodes.

I'm surprised you can't get Android apps for non-phone devices. That's mind-boggling to me, as there are Android tablets coming out. I would have to see how limited the functions are without apps. If I could perform the functions of my N800 without the apps (PDF viewing, browsing, book-reading, etc.), I'd be satisfied.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Thanks, Railroadmaster, for bringing attention to this. This is the form factor, price, lack of contract, more powerful processor, phone-free tablet I've wanted, although I'd have liked it to be Maemo/Meego from Nokia. But this is exactly what I want as a successor to the N800/N810: 4.3" screen in a 130 gram pocket-able package. It even has a kickstand.

(Silvermountain's UMPC alternatives, like the Viliv N5, weigh 388 grams and 300 grams -- way too much for me.)

I'm even happy they didn't waste money on the camera. If I want decent photos, I'm going to use a dedicated camera. 2 Megapixel is probably adequate for snapshots and for apps like the ones that identify things from barcodes.

I'm surprised you can't get Android apps for non-phone devices. That's mind-boggling to me, as there are Android tablets coming out. I would have to see how limited the functions are without apps. If I could perform the functions of my N800 without the apps (PDF viewing, browsing, book-reading, etc.), I'd be satisfied.
It can still run all nonphone applications and you can still install any apk file and there should be a very simple Android Market hack. Also as for Maemo, Angstrom should be available as a special developer edition firmware. Angstrom is very similar to Maemo it is what powers the OpenPandora.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I think this will also be a great replacement for my PSP-3001 which has been hacked, tweaked, modded, and messed with like crazy. I'm tired of the PSP's annoying limitations, lack of a newer version of Adobe Flash, and poor web browser. However the PSP still holds a special pace in my heart . Though I did like the community support, games. emulators, the skype feature, themes, and other hack of the device.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-09-06 at 19:26.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
while google dropped the phone requirement with android 2.1 (2.2 added bluetooth), they still require 3-way accelerometer, compass, gps and 2mpix camera before they allow market.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
while google dropped the phone requirement with android 2.1 (2.2 added bluetooth), they still require 3-way accelerometer, compass, gps and 2mpix camera before they allow market.
Well it does have the bluetooth, wifi, accelerometer, and 2mpx camera, but I doesn't have the compass or gps.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
What I have found from Nitdroid is that there are MANY Marketplace Android programs that are not worth using. I don't see what difference it makes if I have 1,000 extra worthless programs or 50,000 worthless programs. I haven't even had enough time to look at the worthless ones available in Nitdroid.

I myself only use maybe 20 programs. It's like a chess world champion once said when asked how many moves he thinks ahead: "oh, just one. The RIGHT one." I only use the right programs, so I don't need thousands of them.

The one thing this Archos seems lacking compared to my N810 is a hardware keyboard. That is less serious when you are talking a 7 inch or 10 inch screen; at least you have a roomy keyboard to compensate, I assume. But a tiny keyboard on a tiny screen? Has anyone any impression of the keyboard on this thing?

On the issue of a phone: I have been considering buying a very small phone and carrying it with me usually, but getting a big tablet on the occasions when I'm sure I'll want to use it. When I'm on the train I will carry both with me. When I'm on a bus, say, I'll just carry the phone -- I'm not likely to use both. I will never just carry the tablet without also carrying the phone, which is why I want a small one.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The one thing this Archos seems lacking compared to my N810 is a hardware keyboard. That is less serious when you are talking a 7 inch or 10 inch screen; at least you have a roomy keyboard to compensate, I assume. But a tiny keyboard on a tiny screen? Has anyone any impression of the keyboard on this thing?

On the issue of a phone: I have been considering buying a very small phone and carrying it with me usually, but getting a big tablet on the occasions when I'm sure I'll want to use it. When I'm on the train I will carry both with me. When I'm on a bus, say, I'll just carry the phone -- I'm not likely to use both. I will never just carry the tablet without also carrying the phone, which is why I want a small one.
Seriously why is it whenever there's a competitors with better specs and better price the Maemo community's only argument against it is having a hardware keyboard. Seriously not every device is going to have a hardware keyboard. It kinda reminds me of iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch owners whenever theres a better device that comes they always give oh my idevice it has more apps in its appstore b.s.

You seem to have me confused with the Maemo community.

Did you ever try answering a question? Have you tried the keyboard? That is what my question was. I think the N900 non-hardware keyboard is lousy. Is the keyboard for the Archos better?