Active Topics

I have to say, that was a very good post. Of course, some of our experiences will be different - For instance, a certain bug in hildon-desktop can tear your battery life to shreds - but its interesting seeing it from a non-techy perspective.

I do have to say though that learning a few commands for the N900 can be -very- useful at times - being able to add and remove programs from the command line("apt-get install/remove *name*") solves the entire horrible application manager problem, for example.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
You cant charge your phone from a "dumb" source. That means most external battery packs, car chargers, usb wall outlets and such. However, there is an adapter you can buy for this. I shall order it now and hopefully that will work.
Charging via a computer or wall socket is fine.
Nokia can't say a thing to this. You should thank USB Consortium instead.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Thanks for the post. A couple of things:
Amount of apps
Didn't think I would have a problem with the limited amount of apps available. But I do. Almost none are completely finished, and most have bad design. At any moment the guy making it can give it up and all efforts goes to waste.
Theoretically, with open source (as most N900 apps are), someone else can pick up the app development and continue with it if the original author gives it up. In practice I agree that this doesn't often happen. People often seem to like to start projects from scratch rather than continue someone else's one.
You cant charge your phone from a "dumb" source. That means most external battery packs, car chargers, usb wall outlets and such.
For me, I have used USB wall outlets and car chargers fine.

Very good post. I do agree with most of what you said.
As a new N900 user like you, I also want to second that this phone is not just for geeks. It’s surely one of the best smartphone out there considering that I know nothing about Linux and still using this phone happily.

OC and NITDroid are working nicely despite my lack of Linux knowledge. Thanks to developers and this helpful community.

OS wise, I think it's the best and most powerful out there. Nothing beats the real multitask and the dashboard this phone has to offer.
The learning curve is not bad at all. IMO, I think it’s easier than trying to mess around with iTunes. And when I say I know nothing about Linux, I don’t even know the basic Linux commands etc ls, top, uptime, copy and cut.

(just tried NITDroid the other day, I think the UI is a bit confusing, or maybe i’m too used to N900)

As for screen, I like resistive screen better for using with my nail (yes I have long nail ) I think it’s more responsive than my iphone 3GS capacitive screen. I am very happy to be able to use my nail to navigate it rather than my fat finger tip.

As for battery, thanks to someone in this community that shed me some light about having MSN on can drain your battery (I know how stupid I was to think that MSN shouldn’t drain battery ).

Nowadays, the battery easily lasts 14 hours with my average use. 3 hours of watching music videos whilst browsing websites, 30 minutes calls, 1 hour of messing around with the phone. (Those are average use in my opinion).

All in all, I am a happy camper and thanks everyone in this community for the nice experience with the phone.

Last edited by Generic; 2010-09-07 at 11:11. Reason: Make it easier to read

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Generic For This Useful Post:
I will echo the "fair and balanced" comments, you got a good perspective. Not surprisingly, I agree with your statements. I have to say that there are probably enough apps that genuinely interest me for Android that I may switch to a new phone this fall (probably HTC's "G2"/"Vision" when it comes out) and keep the n900 as a "project piece" for running NITdroid and/or Meego.

I still find the touch screen to be very well done, I have never had any trouble with accuracy- though it can be choppy to respond. I will try and clear out unused apps (also, i went back to the default theme and the animations seem to run smoother). And I think i may have to resign myself to disabling the screen rotation as it probably one of the weakest parts of the n900 as compared to other competing devices.

Other
Why on earth did they put the charger on top and the unlocker at the bottom. These two should have switched places. No you feel like you have a giant antenna sticking up when talking while charging. If switched you could have unlocked with your finger instead of swiping the screen. Also, the feel of the keyboard slider could be nicer and the kickstand seems fragile just like the battery cover when you try to remove it, feels like you are going to break it.
Very good points here!!

You cant charge your phone from a "dumb" source. That means most external battery packs, car chargers, usb wall outlets and such. However, there is an adapter you can buy for this. I shall order it now and hopefully that will work.
Charging via a computer or wall socket is fine.
I bought a Nokia car charger and it's working. Maybe you need to buy a genuine one...

Overall, great review ;-)

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Nokia can't say a thing to this. You should thank USB Consortium instead.
I did not thank Nokia to my recollection. I was referring to a mini usb to micro usb adapter with on off switch available to buy at brando.

@Pelago
I was talking about charging this way with a usb cable which does not work without the adapter mentioned above or doing some electric work on a cable. With the provided nokia old school charger to micro usb adapter it does work, but it is not a pretty solution.

I do however now know that some dumb sources are not dumb at all and will therefor charge just fine. Proporta batterypacks for instance.

If you know something about this that i may have gotten wrong or dont know, then do let me know.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I do however now know that some dumb sources are not dumb at all and will therefor charge just fine. Proporta batterypacks for instance.

If you know something about this that i may have gotten wrong or dont know, then do let me know.
The issue is actually whether or not they tell the N900 that they're dumb sources. The USB Consortium has dictated that the way to do this is to short out the data pins (and this is what the N900 looks for) - unfortunately this has only happened in a recent standards revision, so older hardware often just leaves the data pins completely disconnected (i.e. open circuit). Presumably the change is because there's no way to differentiate between an open circuit and a smart system that's refusing to respond.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
The issue is actually whether or not they tell the N900 that they're dumb sources. The USB Consortium has dictated that the way to do this is to short out the data pins (and this is what the N900 looks for) - unfortunately this has only happened in a recent standards revision, so older hardware often just leaves the data pins completely disconnected (i.e. open circuit). Presumably the change is because there's no way to differentiate between an open circuit and a smart system that's refusing to respond.
I see. So this is the new thing every phone will experience with old hardware then. thanks for clearing that up. hopefully I can get some modern chargers that implement this. Is there any way to know if a hardware like a usb wall charger supports this or not?
Hopefully the adapter from brando will do the trick aswell.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I see. So this is the new thing every phone will experience with old hardware then. thanks for clearing that up. hopefully I can get some modern chargers that implement this. Is there any way to know if a hardware like a usb wall charger supports this or not?
Unfortunately not, no. Most of the new ones I've bought have worked fine, but one or two I've had to take a soldering iron to.