Notices

I am missing an application for travel planning and live departures on subways, trams and buses in Oslo, Norway.

I wish for a Trafikanten application that shows live departures and that can be used as a travel planner.

Please see http://labs.trafikanten.no for more information.

iPhone and Android (http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...hortcut-z.aspx) have their own Trafikanten apps. Any chance this will be developed for Maemo 5 as well?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcnorway For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
This would be really great

I've been working on Trafikanten for Maemo and have released an alpha version for the N900 into extras-devel today. So for you daredevils who are not afraid of the devel repository; please give it a try

Please do not enable the extras-devel repository if you are not aware about the risks you are taking by enabling it. It might damage your device and cause data loss.

That being said, the Trafikanten app has the following features:
  • Travel - specify two stops, date and time, and it will find the shortest travel for you (no advanced settings yet)
  • Realtime - search for a stop and get realtime info about the vehicles from this stop (no advanced info like direction etc. yet)
  • GPS - uses GSM or GPS to determine your position and returns the stops closest to you
  • Recent - lists your 20 latest searches
  • Favorites - store the searches you use most often for easy access
  • Rotation support - sometimes buggy, although I'm not sure if it is my or Qt's fault. It works most of the time and is neat when you are on the move.

Future plans:
  • Remove dependency on Qt Mobility for GPS positioning (requirement to move to extras-testing).
  • Move to extras-testing.
  • Bugfixes and minor feature additions.
  • Call it a beta version
  • More bugfixes
  • Move it up to Extras
  • Call it a final version
  • After the first version finally goes into Extras, I might start working on features like advanced travel searches if there is any need for that.

Please feel free to take it for a ride and report back any problems you get in this thread or in the issue tracker. And if you have any feature requests, just let me know and I'll see if I can implement them in a later version. I've decided to do a feature freeze for now unless it is minor changes, but later on I'll give other stuff a go as well.

The application is licensed as GNU GPLv3 and the source code is hosted at http://github.com/dragly/trafikanten-maemo. It is written in Qt and C++. I'm all open to patches if anyone else wants to implement new features

Last edited by dragly; 2010-06-14 at 22:06. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
Hi dragly,
as I asked at the diskusjon.no-forum:
«Bruker den trafikantens gamle eller nye API? Dersom nye, er det åpent for alle å bruke nå? Var prosessen med å få lov av trafikanten å bruke API-et problemfri?»

I have also a problem to report. I can't add a travel («reise») to my favorites, that just works for real time («sanntid») searches. But under most recent («Nylige søk»), both categories are listed.

Great application, I was tempted to make my own Maemo client, but since Trafikanten is/are/was in the process of changing API, my plan was to wait until this autumn, but I think your client saved me the trubble.

The application is now ready for beta-testing. In other words, it is available in the extras-testing repo and I could need some testers to vote the package up to Extras if it is ready. You can vote for it here:
http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...1.0.0-beta1-6/
Just make sure you are logged in first and click the thumb-up under Package Karma. Minor errors are no reason to hold back the package, but if you find some serious bugs just give me a heads up and I'll fix them with a new version.

You may also file bugs here:
http://github.com/dr...en-maemo/issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragly For This Useful Post:
@dragly Great work! I really enjoy your application. I have put a link to it in Eirik Newth's blog

The Following User Says Thank You to Lillebjorn For This Useful Post:
meget nice!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinnet For This Useful Post:
@Lillebjorn: Thank you! Glad to hear that you find it useful.

I should also mention that it has now passed extras-testing and is available in regular Extras: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/trafikanten

The version in Extras is the first beta version and is a bit outdated, containing a few bugs and missing full support for Norwegian characters like "æøå". Hopefully I will be ready to push the final version to testing during the next week or so, fixing a few bugs and implementing a few minor features.

The current version in extras-devel does not have the "æøå"-bug.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@dragly:
Really great program!! I really missed such a program, especially with the mobile pages from Trafikanten being so bad. I am using it all the time and it never fails.Thank you!

A suggestion: In the "Sanntid view", the feature at least I use the most is Oppdater. You know - you're running for the bus and you want to see if you're going to make it or not. I would suggest that Oppdater could be a separate button in that view, not tucked away in the menu. Not sure how it would look visually, though, but

A possible bug: Open the Sanntid view for any station while on WLAN, and switch to GPRS/3G. Press Oppdater. It does not update, just loads and loads. I have to go back to the search and click the station again for it to update.

(Sorry about putting this here, but I don't have a github user yet.)

@mabahj: Nothing to worry about, mabahj. You might as well give suggestions and bug reports here. I'll read them in any case.

Glad to hear that you like the application!

About the suggestion, I think you are onto something there. I'll see if I can place a button next to the "Travels from ..." text, without messing up the design.

The bug sounds very strange. I'll test it out myself and see if I experience the same thing.

Please report back if you have any other suggestions or bug reports