Active Topics

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
DRM is only bad when it's invasive or depended upon within a platform. Apple iOS is a bit of both, annoys the hell out of me.

But stories like this make even my "freedom from DRM" speeches a bit less loud and angry because that small-time dude that got screwed could have been me. Or you. Or somebody we know.
I think the lesson to learn from that is that DRM is not the solution. I mean does no one even notice that the most locked down platform has the highest piracy rates in the mobile world? IMO DRM only helps against casual piracy, where Joe average would rather pay $5 for an app than sit there jailbreaking his phone. Those who pirate will continue to do so and inconveniencing the legitimate users with the ole ball and chains is not going to be the solution.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by harp View Post
I think the lesson to learn from that is that DRM is not the solution. I mean does no one even notice that the most locked down platform has the highest piracy rates in the mobile world? IMO DRM only helps against casual piracy, where Joe average would rather pay $5 for an app than sit there jailbreaking his phone. Those who pirate will continue to do so and inconveniencing the legitimate users with the ole ball and chains is not going to be the solution.
Care to back this up?

I've heard this argument so many times but afaik it's impossible to get any real data in the first place.

The way i see it, DRM is one of the tools to herd the masses to a functioning cyber marketplace. Yes HERD. We're frickin social beings, nothing bad about that. Moreover, there's no way to be really actually unique unless you fabricate your own gadgets and software. No, recompiling your own kernel does not count, you script kiddie.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The way i see it, DRM is one of the tools to herd the masses to a functioning cyber marketplace. Yes HERD. We're frickin social beings, nothing bad about that.
Herd, like cattle. You're a consumer from which profit is to be extracted. If they had any respect for you as the consumer they wouldn't be treating you like the enemy.

Moreover, there's no way to be really actually unique unless you fabricate your own gadgets and software. No, recompiling your own kernel does not count, you script kiddie.
Why snip at people who like to work with software? I understand you like being locked down under layers of DRM, but why attack those who don't?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Herd, like cattle. You're a consumer from which profit is to be extracted. If they had any respect for you as the consumer they wouldn't be treating you like the enemy.
Herd, as in to guide the mass of net-connected individuals to online economy. We ain't seen nothing yet. Convenient micropayments can finance interesting and sophisticated projects. So much more than the simple $0.99 apps common nowadays.

Why snip at people who like to work with software? I understand you like being locked down under layers of DRM, but why attack those who don't?
Whoops, that wasn't meant as a snip to anyone in particular. Just that i'm seeing a generous amount of users here who feel l33t and unique just because they're one step away from mainstream. Because they're associated with the Linux 'brand'.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!