Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Surely pumping out a few more x/5 devices and charging full price for them will allow Nokia to surpass their competition. Won't engender negative feelings and drive away all their long term supporters at all. I mean you don't see everyone around here jumping ship for better devices all the time. The best part is that the n8 is an x/5 device too because it's just a stepping stone for the symbian 4 devices. Who wants to play odds that the n8 will get an update to symbian 4? Not me! It's another bland phone with absolutely nothing exiting our innovating about it.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
So you're saying: forget about the consumers, all the "analysts" and "investors" will be buying the N8 and hence save Nokia
"Eating food is important", that doesn't mean drinking water is not important. Misconstruing what people say like that is the straw-man logical fallacy. You shouldn't do that.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by tentpole View Post
"Eating food is important", that doesn't mean drinking water is not important. Misconstruing what people say like that is the straw-man logical fallacy. You shouldn't do that.
What I am saying is it is consumers who buy the majority of phones, not anallysts and investors. And most consumers that I know don't read anallysts reports or consult the stockmarket to decide what phone to buy. YMMV

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
errr... a device that was said to be "step 4/5" when it was announced? get real.
You're as bad as an applefanboiapologist. When the original iphone was released it had lots of features missing that were commonplace on other phones. This was Apple's step 1/x on their road to smartphone domination. Just because it was step 1 it didn't prevent them from trying their best to ensure that what features the iphone had were polished and were continued to be polished by releasing constant updates (if only to mainly close loopholes in unlocking )

Well - I think its come to pass:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nok...k=MW_news_stmp

tasty 4.6M Eur payoff + comp for the shares he held. Not bad.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lemon_grass View Post
why have steps ? is Nokia so unable operate in a continuous improvement mode ? Truth is Nokia never has actually been able to provide a rolling production level release process. Instead it operates in a compartmentalised branch release mechanism. Once you buy a N97 - new features in later phones that are entirely in s/w are never back ported to the N97 release..
because one can't build OS good enough from scratch right away. you need multiple iterations. A bit like iOS4 which is starting to be really comparative to for example symbian featurewise... Nokia just decided that they want to get as open OS as possible and let the geeks test and comment the OS before anything is released to the public.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
Surely pumping out a few more x/5 devices and charging full price for them will allow Nokia to surpass their competition. Won't engender negative feelings and drive away all their long term supporters at all. I mean you don't see everyone around here jumping ship for better devices all the time. The best part is that the n8 is an x/5 device too because it's just a stepping stone for the symbian 4 devices. Who wants to play odds that the n8 will get an update to symbian 4? Not me! It's another bland phone with absolutely nothing exiting our innovating about it.
why are you deliberatly mixing things up? the whole 5 step program was only for maemo from zero to 770 - n800 - n810 - n900 - meego.
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
You're as bad as an applefanboiapologist. When the original iphone was released it had lots of features missing that were commonplace on other phones. This was Apple's step 1/x on their road to smartphone domination. Just because it was step 1 it didn't prevent them from trying their best to ensure that what features the iphone had were polished and were continued to be polished by releasing constant updates (if only to mainly close loopholes in unlocking )
thanks for you too for mixing up things. are you really missing the big picture this much?

how many oss guys has apple consulted with iOS? what about maemo/meego? should I continue or can we stop before it really starts?
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Available tesco locked for £329 on release:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-8479.aspx