Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Press conference video can be viewed here http://www.nokia.com/press/media_res...nokia-webcasts

For me these are very bad news.
Bad for meego open source because this guy is all for proprietary software.
Bad for symbian for the same reasons
Bad for any final hope of an alternative for this thought that all software has to came from states.

One of the biggest problems of nokia is a war lead by all American carriers, bloggers, news agencies, journalists to any idea of something that it’s not made in Silicon Valley. The inclusion of this potato head has a top general of nokia can’t be read has anything but a final capitulation.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by ktchiu View Post
I'm not too familiar with either OPK or Elop. What are the potential pros/cons of this change?
Read here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

And then think is having ANOTHER American a good idea. Industry experts would argue not perhaps. Given MS can't organise mobile communication devices and their policy and internal politics can't bring anything of worth to market, not sure Nokia are going in the right direction.

I pity the firm and I my signature even more than ever, stands.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hey folks... let's get this right.

Stephen Elop is CANADIAN...

All of this "American" this and "American" that is utterly wasted because of that prior bit of knowledge. And if anything else, it shows that you think that Nokia is weak enough to bow down to bloggers and so-called popular whims.

I doubt that. But the rest... get it right. Canadian. Like RIM/Blackberry... and maple syrup.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
Read here.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...nifesto_risku/

And then think is having ANOTHER American a good idea. Industry experts would argue not perhaps. Given MS can't organise mobile communication devices and their policy and internal politics can't bring anything of worth to market, not sure Nokia are going in the right direction.

I pity the firm and I my signature even more than ever, stands.
Who cares where he is from.

My only reservation is that he seems to have very similar background as OPK (good in business & management). I would've liked someone with more of the stuff that OPK was lacking (technology vision).

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I kinda wished tru3 un1x p3ople would have grown up in 5+ years after the charm of a new thing has vanished but no.

there is no Microsoft behind the move. it is all about persons. they consider their options work chores vs salary. People in microsoft aren't working there because they want to enslave every single linux idiot....
Calm down already ossipena.

People (probably) more experienced than you have up to three decades' worth of history with Microsoft's corporate mono culture and also their executives' post-MS tradition of "corporate networking".

Do you reckon people who join Microsoft are either unaware or unsupportive of Microsoft's key corporate objectives of owning (proprietary) "standards" (data formats, protocols etc.) and wiping the floor with all competition, especially of the dangerous open-source kind.

There's little if anything in this guy's CV to suggest that he actually gets Linux and Open Source or open and standards-based collaboration (which also includes Qt, a key technology for Nokia, at least currently) or Nokia's old strength: hardware!

Equally little about him screams charisma (whether we like it or not, a desirable trait in today's world of CEOs).

Does he have experience or connections to fix the issue of lack of early or volume access to some of the latest hardware technologies that are being developed and manufactured in the far east (at key competitors' doorstep, or increasingly by them)?

The "linux idiots" you malign here en masse tend to compute plusses and minuses and whatever their experience tells and end up with rather understandable suspicion, yet tempered by the willing to give this guy a chance to prove himself.

If you've really got unbearable issues with that I can't help you.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Who cares where he is from.

My only reservation is that he seems to have very similar background as OPK (good in business & management). I would've liked someone with more of the stuff that OPK was lacking (technology vision).
background is software, he is a Software engineer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Hey folks... let's get this right.

Stephen Elop is CANADIAN...

All of this "American" this and "American" that is utterly wasted because of that prior bit of knowledge. And if anything else, it shows that you think that Nokia is weak enough to bow down to bloggers and so-called popular whims.

I doubt that. But the rest... get it right. Canadian. Like RIM/Blackberry... and maple syrup.
one canadian that lives in the states and works in microsoft is for sure an american.

of course nokia is weak enough to bow down to bloggers, jornalists, operators , etc. who isn’t? ultimately this sort of people can put countries on their knees and companies even more easily.

rim/blackberry i’ll pass definitely.

Last edited by drm; 2010-09-10 at 13:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
background is software, he is a Software engineer
I didn't really mean education, altough OPK had engineer degree as well, but more as in the kind of executive work he has done, which seem to be more in management than technology leadership.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Malmö, Sweden
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
(cut) The OS strategy is as good as set in stone Nokia invested too much in purchasing Qt, Symbian and investing in MeeGo to change that
I hope NvyUs is right, rather than some of the more nervous commenters. My first response to the news was of course "Microsoft!? But what about open-source?"

OK, time will tell...

•Fairly new to the N900.
•Wants to learn to develop when I have the time.
•Used to write Basic 2.0 on the C64 back in 1990.

Favourite app: Feedingit

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monster For This Useful Post:

Tags
fool me once, let downs, new ceo, nokia, stephen elop