Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am really disappointed with the non nokia CEO. My concerns are?

1. This guy has been jumping jobs between varios MNC. What it says is that he is in it for the money and solely money. We need people who are passionate about nokia. Look at texrat.. he is passionate and he works for the good of nokia.... no matter he is paid or not. Similarly there are many good guys in nokia who are extremely passionate about nokia and have a finnish background. For example.. Ansi, Ari, Peter & Qgil come to mind.

2. Also one of the most important factos i like about nokia is thier honesty and modesty. I believe this has something to with thier finnish background. Why get this north american ceo who i believe wont have these traits. I have yet to see any north american company have the same values of modesty and honesty similar to nokia.

3. I read somewhere this guy had a major part to play in the concept of microsoft kin. If that is anyway true... i am gutted. Even the hamster in the lab knew that the kin was going to bomb.... but still microsoft went through with it.

I do understand the importance of having him for increasing the market share in the US... for that he could have been made President of the NA arm of nokia or may be even better head of buisiness.... but the ceo has to be finnish.
Even if I agree with some of above: The stockholders and many people who buys phones doesnt care about it.

For the stockholders MONEY is the only intresting things atleast for the big players.

But if we in the OSS community , for example, want to Meego to succes we need to contribute! send bugreports and so on to make it clear for the new CEO that we want that OS in the future nokia phones!

If N9 fails with Meego they ma go for another crappyOS inststead (maybe win7)

So its not only the CEO that is decides Nokias future its the developers, buyers and Meego to succes.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-09-10 at 19:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Seriously, a CEO can't just change every single thing of a company that easily... Symbian is going nowhere.. neither will MeeGo so calm down a bit.. lol

There's a board of directors btw.. and OPK is one of them.. so yeah..
I thought OPK resigned from the board too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Re: American vs Canadian

I can just see Stephen Colbert announcing that, "We got an AMERICAN as the CEO of the Finnish company, NOKIA!" Standing up and prancing, baloons falling, confetti flying, American flags fluttering, "WE DID IT!!!"

Finally settling down, "That's right, America! We finally got someone from our very own 51st state of Canada to take over!"

Too funny.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Damn a Canadian, awesome indeed. Hope it brings more phones to North America. Plus his stint at Juniper Networks and Microsoft means he has connections inside the big US carriers ... this should make Nokia's entry into the North American market that much easier.

The Meego initiative has to much invested in it, and the plans are nearly at completion ... their is little he can influence the hardware and OS at this point ... something he hints at in the press conference when he says there are products we haven't seen yet. What he can influence is the marketing, the launch event, and the services surrounding such a hardware.

OPK had great plans, and the roadmap is a great one that foresees the future Nokia direction into Software/ Service/ and Hardware combined. His failing was that the changes took too long, and the misfires were too frequent. A Symbian Nseries still to be launched goes against what they planned early in 2009, and this production cycle of delays and extensions was getting ridiculous. A software guy like Mr. Elop should bring with him the talent to moves things within the company. Also as an outsider, he can finally fire without hesitation those who do not deliver performance in the management positions.

As a Canadian I would say we share much in the hospitality and niceness as the Finnish people do as well. I think a Canadian with this much experience compliments Nokia's work culture and should add the flare of what is required to compete in the North ... an angry beaver is a Canuck. Also from the press conference he looks very comfortable presenting something OPK did not look confident in. So I hope he is a more vocal than OPK was, and I hope Nokia is more responsive towards it's customers by having a more forthcoming and insightful CEO. Not having an accent is a good thing too in the North American market, because you can communicate without looking like a foreigner (I know sad part of life especially when we should respect someone who can probably speak more than 3 languages).

Anyways these are my viewpoints and we will see the fruits of his labor in Jan. once the transitory period ends and a new fiscal year begins.

I wanted to add that a CEO needs to get approval for dramatic changes from the board of directors. So no big suprises like a Win7 Nokia phone ... although I would love to see Nokia diversify and make an aXXX series, a wXXX series in addition to the current Meego nXXX series (a-> for an android line, w-> for win7 line). We can only dream on that one ... and make the phones compatible to all OS's ... you just buy the License or the OS installer from Nokia (a Service they can sell).

Last edited by MoJo; 2010-09-10 at 20:03. Reason: more thoughts on the matter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoJo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Facts are that Nokia has been doing badly since OPK became CEO and you could say that it was Ollila who left the OS mess for Kallasvuo and Kallasvuo did the right thing by buying Symbian and turning it to open source.
That remains to be seen.

I'm sure Kallasvuo thought Nokia would/could hold on to the Symbian developers (prior to smart touchphones a noticeable force) while they are still relevant and rebuild Symbian into a competitive or even cutting-edge system/UI/tool set...

Yet economies of scale are moving down the food chain (ie. sometimes larger displays become cheaper than smaller legacy versions etc.), users' (and developers') expectations grow, aggressive bet-the-house roadmaps see "unexpected" delays and so forth.

In a years or two years time when the supposed New Symbian is expected to start shipping, what will the value of Kallasvuo's bet into the Old Symbian be?

Did Nokia really need to buy them? Was totally redesigning clunky Old Symbian (and maintaining great deal of compatibility??) better than simply using it and fixing it around the edges while putting the real development muscle behind something that is ideal for today (and the future too)?

Is even the brand still worth anything? To us mindless consumers, or to developers?

Does everything have to be "invented in-house"? (see NIH syndrome).

Did Kallasvuo have a fixation with legacy software (SYMBIAN!) and legacy hardware over more innovative approaches? (PHONES, and the clunkier the better ;-)

Did Kallasvuo ever communicate with anyone? Deities know that he wasn't reaching out - or being reachable - to our little neglected community. We had nothing to offer him apparently, at least in terms of ideas or opinions.

He's probably a very decent bloke (and now rather wealthy too, for some reason), but he may always have been better suited to remaining a middle manager in some more boring field. What was Ollila thinking in the first place??

But back to the new topic at hand... Reggie's link to Elop's interview was quite informative, both in scary and encouraging ways.

For better or worse, Elop(er)'s no Kallasvuo.

Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
You can count on a lot more Nokia deals with Microsoft. Not good news in my book.
Well, I am sure Intel does not stop developing Meego, or orther developers, so there will be Meego-phones available.
If the Meego-devices are not done by Nokia, so what. If Nokia does not want to provide devices to that niche, it's their lost.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
If you want to see/hear how he talks about tech topics, here's a not too old video I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKMUHvb2iE
I finally watched it. You know, it could be interesting. He seems to understand where things are going for the enterprise, lets see what he can do for the consumer-side of things.

Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
I can see the news:
*Nokia N8 sells millions
*Qt becomes most used mobile programming language
*Symbian^4 faster, slicker and better
*MeeGo becomes default OS from your mobile to your toilet
*Thanks to a North American Nokia was saved from the incompetent European hands.

Everything is more or less on track for at least some of those to happen. As ossipena said, OPKs work will be harvested in the long run (if the new CEO does not come with an ax) and our brothers from the other side of the ocean can finally rest knowing that another company was "saved" thanks to them.
Or the opposite could happen.
  • Nokia n8 has sales fails to sells enough units.
  • MeeGo suffers the same fate that had an excellent OS that lacks devices and applications people want .
  • Symbian 4 fails to impress.
  • Nokia makes a Android phone and lose money from software services.
  • Ovi discontinued.
  • Nokia acquired by Samsung.
Ok I'm exaggerating little bit but Nokia getting a new ceo could be new life for Nokia or the death of Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ USA & UK
Transparency.

If he could instill a sense of transparency through different layers of the company, then the rewards for all - developers, staff, customers & stakeholders could be very positive.

See the problems, move sharply and thoroughly to correct them, then reflect publically about the new path he is leading them on >

I did want the job but suprisingly they did not call ...

The Following User Says Thank You to ccarter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Cycling through CEO's (particularly as a result of bad circumstances)... isn't that a sign of a company that is about to go under? I remember seeing that a LOT during the dot-com bubble burst. Either way, he'd better hurry up...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...ot-by-2014.ars

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:

Tags
fool me once, let downs, new ceo, nokia, stephen elop