Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I have created a Windows log in/password on the machine I am trying to access, and it hasn't helped. I have tried every combination of the above port forwarding options through my router, and used both the IP listed in a program I used to set a static IP for my internet connection, as well as the IP address given when I go to whatismyip.com (in rdesktop).

Alas, still no connection.

you need to get it working on your local lan before you try to get it working via the port forwarding.

1. Connect your n900 to the lan via wifi, test it can browse the internet.
2. Create user on the windows desktop with password and add them to the group to allow remote access.
3. find the ip address on the windows workstation. start, run, cmd<enter>, ipconfig<enter>
4. run up remote desktop on n900 and create session for the workstation IP address.

make sure you turn off windows or other firewalls on your workstation first while testing.

hint: use the windows event log to locate any workstation related issues.

rgds

Last edited by uTMY; 2010-09-05 at 09:23.

Ok, lthis is getting quite frustrating. I can only imagine what you must be thinking uTMY!

I can browse internet no problems via my wifi on my N900. Checked it anyway.

I created a new user with password of the desktop (Vista) that is plugged into the router.

I ran ipconfig and used the IP listed (which is the same one I have been using all along) in a new session on rdesktop. This was with the new user profile I created. I also ensured firewalls were turned off.

Rdesktop cannot connect. Arrrgghh!!

I searched "remote", and loaded the Windows Remote Access program, but it doesn't have an area to allow remote desktop; only seems focused on said desktop remotely accessing another computer.

I also made sure all port forwarding was disabled via the router. How do I find the Windows event log?

Ongoing thanks uTMY!

Nope, not frustrating for me at all, my remote desktops all work fine, linux, windows etc.

Which version of Vista?

rgds

haven't read back through the thread to see whether you can RDP successfully from clients other than N900 - but ensure that your Vista version actually supports RDP host (I don't know about Vista but both XP and Win7 exclude host mode on the "home" versions).

for XP/Win7 there are hacks available to terminal services to circumvent the restriction so I'd imagine same will go for Vista too (google is your friend).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

I wil check the version of Vista as soon as I can (not home).

Originally Posted by 5spdvl View Post
I wil check the version of Vista as soon as I can (not home).
Just FYI, I checked the situation: As suspected, Vista home basic & home premium DON'T allow you to run RDP in host mode, so if you have either of those installed, that is your root problem.

Depending on your reason for wanting RDP,you may simply be able to run an alternative such as VNC to give remote access and forget about using RDP.

Like I said though, if RDP specifically is required, there are hacks out there that will get around this, you just need to find one that corresponds to your vista version & SP level.

"I have a friend" who's hacked both XP home and Win 7 home to allow RDP host in the past - pretty painless in both cases as long as you are happy to mess with the registry a bit & have a quick scan of any batch files you're asked to run to ensure they're kosher :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Hence my question about which version of Vista.

I made the assumption he was using a version that should support RDP and then thought I'd query it just in case.

rgds

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
I have a problem sharing the MyDocs folder. For a short time I can access the MyDocs and MMC but then the the N900 refuses the connection. It says that the network isn't available but rdesktop is running and I still can remote control the PC.

Edit:
Here is a screenshot.

Last edited by Mr. Incredible; 2010-09-11 at 13:11.

Ever since I upgraded to latest version of R Desktop, I cannot access from T Mobile 3G. It works fine if I am on WLAN.

Anyone else face same issue?

Thanks