Notices

sorry it stops it from working.

Hi all! Today i purchased N900 and im completely new/noob on this phone and i don`t understand tut in the 1st post so can anyone PLEASE tell me the easiest method to get this to work?

P.S - Do i need Linux to transfer files to this phone or can i do it on windows xp? Can i just connect n900 and PC with USB and transfer the files?

Originally Posted by smokey2008 View Post
Modifying PSFreedom to enable Backup Manager operation:

Using the WinSCP you configured earlier. Transfer and replace the .ko files on your N900 in:

/opt/psfreedom/modules/omap1
/opt/psfreedom/modules/power40

With the ones extracted from these: (RESPECTIVELY)

PSFreedom For Stock Kernel: (Patched For Backup Manager)
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...7&d=1283539537

PSFreedom for Power Kernel: (Patched For Backup Manager)
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13527

how would i do this on a nokia n800 because i have it all set up backup manager works but is not enabled for playing the backed up games i have looked through the internal memory of the nokia n800 and there is no file directory /opt/psfreedom/modules/omap1 so i can change the .ko file as instructed in this forum any help would be fantastic thankyou

smokey

The part you quoted is for the n900 PSFreedom GUI application.
I did not provide any instructions for the n800.

Originally Posted by WRX-Pablo View Post
I'm a total noob at this so mebbe asking a silly question, does the new firmware (3.42)(which I have) stop the n900 method or could it just be me doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Yes, 3,42 does not work.

Originally Posted by alexstx View Post
Hi all! Today i purchased N900 and im completely new/noob on this phone and i don`t understand tut in the 1st post so can anyone PLEASE tell me the easiest method to get this to work?

P.S - Do i need Linux to transfer files to this phone or can i do it on windows xp? Can i just connect n900 and PC with USB and transfer the files?
The first post is the easiest method. Clarify what you don understand. so we can help you.

1. do i need to use WINSpc?(I dont have wireless network in my home)
2. Can it be done on Windows XP 32bit?(i mean transferring the files)
3. Do i need internet on N900 and does metter if i have 3gp or i need something else?(can i download this GUI app to PC and transfer it to N900 via USB?)
4. Can you explain me how to transfer files from PC > N900 and how to use xTerminal more detailed?

Last edited by alexstx; 2010-09-12 at 08:01.

If you had it working on fw 3.41, did the jb put a stop to the forced updates?

Originally Posted by alexstx View Post
1. do i need to use WINSpc?(I dont have wireless network in my home)
2. Can it be done on Windows XP 32bit?(i mean transferring the files)
3. Do i need internet on N900 and does metter if i have 3gp or i need something else?(can i download this GUI app to PC and transfer it to N900 via USB?)
4. Can you explain me how to transfer files from PC > N900 and how to use xTerminal more detailed?
1. WinSCP makes things easier. But if you don't have wifi at home then we'll have to do it another way.
2. Yes
3. Getting the PSFreedom GUI application version to install on your N900 without the n900 itself being connected will be troublesome. PSFreedom-GUI depends on other packages also. So you'll have to pin point and download those. troublesome. specially on 3G.

4. Looking at your situation. Here is what I think you should do:

Root your N900. (Give yourself super admin privileges)
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/

When you click on the download link. You get an .install file. Transfer that to your N900. You can do that over USB. Just plug in your N900 to your Windows PC. It'll show up. Place the file anywhere there.

Unplug your N900 from your PC. (You have to do this, so don't get trouble in the next step)

On the N900, using the file manager, go to that place you put the file. Click on it. Application Manager will pick it up and try to install it. You need to be connected over 3G. It's a tiny package. so it should take a few seconds.

Close Application Manager and File Manager.

Plug back your N900 to your PC. Now transfer the 3 PSFreedom Files from my first post (USB). (2 .sh and 1 .ko). to the N900.

Launch the Terminal on your n900. Type:
Code:
root
Now we need to navigate to the place you put the 3 files. What usually shows up on windows when you plug the N900 is MyDocs....so.... in the Terminal on the n900 (Case Sensitive):
Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs
To know whats currently in that directory. Type:
Code:
ls
Finally once you confirm you're at the place where the 3 files are. Type:
Code:
sh ./psfreedom-enable.sh

Last edited by Corso85; 2010-09-12 at 12:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by WRX-Pablo View Post
If you had it working on fw 3.41, did the jb put a stop to the forced updates?
It doesn't really stop updates. Updates always require the permission of the user at some point. Whether cause a game wants to do it or the PS3 connected to PSN found an update.

If you want to play online. You have to update. If a super new game requires an update to work. You have to update. Nothing the JB can do. at this point.

Does anyone know how I can put games on the internal hd? For backups with bigger files then 4gb..

Originally Posted by Tiptronic View Post
Does anyone know how I can put games on the internal hd? For backups with bigger files then 4gb..
When backup manager says "do you wanna backup on external?" say "no". It'll say "do you wanna backup on internal?" say "yes".