Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Tampere
God dammit. Mine just came off. Again. That's the second time within 8 months. Last time it broke I got a brand new device, and it lasted for 5 months (the first one did just 3)

I'm speechless.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Jultsu View Post
God dammit. Mine just came off. Again. That's the second time within 8 months. Last time it broke I got a brand new device, and it lasted for 5 months (the first one did just 3)

I'm speechless.
just like texrat.

did you did anything to prevent it from happening? like getting rid of the teeth on the usb chargers and cable?

this is a 100% n900 fail (in your case)

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

I got rid of all teeth on every charger and usb lead and mine has still broke, it hasn't broke off or even become loose but my phone will not charge or accept that it is connected by any lead,
Apart from when it is switched off and i insert a lead the dim nokia logo appears and a usb symbol shows top right for 3 secs and and then shows the booting dots then switches off and then loops over and over again doing the same thing.

I believe these are classic broken microusb socket symptoms but i haven't had it confirmed yet.

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-09-13 at 12:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bazza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The fact that your device detects that the lead is plugged in while switched off (even if it doesn't charge properly) makes me wonder if your problem is something else - does anyone know?

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
The fact that your device detects that the lead is plugged in while switched off (even if it doesn't charge properly) makes me wonder if your problem is something else - does anyone know?
Yeah, i was thinking of a software problem

i have tried to get some info regarding this but i haven't got any answers yet.

I believe that there are a few pins which connect the socket to the main board and i suppose if just 1 pin breaks that some signals may still be received through the other pins.

I have had no other problems with the phone leading up to this fault occurring it just happened out of the blue.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Texas
Originally Posted by hurth3x View Post
I’ve had the USA N900 for about 4 months now. I’ve been very careful in removing power adapters and usb cables from the phone. I am unable to charge anymore from the power adapter that came with the N900, but I still am able to use the usb cable to charge. I bought a 3rd party car charger and it is ify to charge the phone. I have to plug it in and out a few times to get the N900 to recognize(I believe this is a known problem but I am afraid of the stress it might cause by plugging in and out). I have not filed the prongs on any cord yet. I believe I will now. I will try another power adapter to see if its just bad, however I am very worried and concerned that the microusb connector might go bad and be removed. And if Nokia does not repair it if its still in warranty, they will lose another customer who is not willing to pay $600 on a phone and future phones that seems to be dwindling in official support and fixes.
I had no problem getting mine fixed on warranty in the US, called support told them the issue. They supplied me with a UPS postal label to send them the device and it was returned within 7 days via USPS. All round positive experience (apart from it breaking in the first place) although I would suggest sending it at the first sign of trouble.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Yeah, i was thinking of a software problem
I suppose you could try a reflash.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I suppose you could try a reflash.
Yeah, i was going to do a reflash as a last resort before sending it away to be repaired.

thanks for your advice.

any more advice would be welcome from anyone before i flash or send it away for repair.

If i open up my n900 carefully and inspect the usb socket and put it back together carefully without doing anything to it, can this be spotted afterwards and can this void my warranty?

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
An experienced technician can do. Screws go out easily after first disassembly work. Also fingerprints as usual will reveal "housebreaking"

The Following User Says Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty