Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zaoltryence View Post
im having trouble with the fix, i updated to v39 kernel now i cant get JS to work when i put dmesg, the message i get is joiku bouncer disagrees about version of symbol struct module, pls advice
Use JoikuSpot_Bouncer from Titan's kernel package (see couple mails above).

When ever Titan's kernel version is updated, then you have to replace JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko to fix the problem.

Dmesg gives to me following response.
Code:
JoikuSpot Bouncer Kernel Module init

Last edited by Gusse; 2010-08-05 at 06:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Close the connection (properly - wait for it to display the summary), go to terminal, and as root redo the command (only the modprobe JoikuSpot_Bouncer one) then hit Share Internet.
It worked for me (not from the first try though)

Edit: oh and it works on the leaked firmware, someone tested it (not me - still on 1.1.1(.5)ish)
Juhuuuu, that works for me but I still got a question. Is it necessary to be done each and every time I want to start Joikuspot (e.g. after reboot) ?!

That would be ....

I have recently moved from joiuspot to mobilehotspot as joikuspot just didn't seem to work. I uninstalled it but for some reason the connection "joikuspot234qwef2" is still there... I dont wana have to reflash my phone but surely it can't be a good thing that my phone is constantly transmitting the ssid?

Have tried to search for help but alas no one seems to have the same problem

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
I have recently moved from joiuspot to mobilehotspot as joikuspot just didn't seem to work. I uninstalled it but for some reason the connection "joikuspot234qwef2" is still there... I dont wana have to reflash my phone but surely it can't be a good thing that my phone is constantly transmitting the ssid?
Where exactly is "there" ? Because I don't see how the N900 could be transmitting any Ad-Hoc network name when the wifi radio is not in ad-hoc mode at all (like for example when you use it to connect to some other wifi network). You other devices might remember having seen such Ad-Hoc network and thus retain the name in case you want to create Ad-Hoc network with same name on that device for whatever reason.

Thansk for the fast reply, basically whenever I turn the wifi on on my work laptop It says "connected to joikuspot connection" Ive just check another pc in the office one that has not been tathered to my phone and joikuspot as you say does not show up on a search, my laptop however does show it as a previous connection but if I connect to it I get given an ip address and can connect to a cennection that in essance isn't there.

As I type my laptop has aquired an ip address and says it's connected to joikuspot.

Edit: I just check the other pc, seems the wireless was turned off, on a refresh the joikuspot connection shows up

Last edited by Spotfist; 2010-09-13 at 08:25.

Thansk for the fast reply, basically whenever I turn the wifi on on my work laptop It says "connected to joikuspot connection" Ive just check another pc in the office one that
Edit: I just check the other pc, seems the wireless was turned off, on a refresh the joikuspot connection shows up
I'm sure the problem is that the laptop remembers gthe connections, remove them from the "known connections" list and see what happens, alternatively turnyou N900 off (remove battery for good measure) and observe that the laptops still see the connection even though now it's definitely not originating from the N900

hmmm so I turn the phone off and take out the battery surprise surprise I can still see the joikuspot connection so you were correct rambo Windows is just... stupid! Get this though, with the phone off (no battery) I tried to connect to the joikuspot connection and it managed to aquire an ipaddres! from nothing?!?!?! LOL! Bravo Microsoft!

I tried to connect to the joikuspot connection and it managed to aquire an ipaddres! from nothing?!?!?! LOL! Bravo Microsoft!
To be fair this is how Ad-Hoc networking works; anyone is free to create a network and the OS will allocate an IP from a private range "commonly used" for such things (ditto when connecting to a network and not receiving DHCP reply), then the machines can use Bonjour/Zeroconf to discover each others services and start talking.

It can be a bit confusing though if the OS remembers ad-hoc connections it has sometime connected to (vs created), OSX for example doesn't do it (but if my N900 goes down while my macbook is connected to it, it will [as per spec] keep the ad-hoc network running on it's side [possibly losing the N900 DHCP assigned IP at some point).

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Is there a reason why that when i tried to follow the steps to replace the modprobe file in xterminal, it says that permission is denied. I even tried it in with root enabled and I still don't have access.

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
Here are step-by-step guidance, but it is on your own risk.
Open x-term and type these commands:

- back-up JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko to /home/user
Code:
cp /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/applications/joikuspot/JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko /home/user/
- gain root rights
Code:
sudo gainroot
- remove old file
Code:
rm /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/applications/joikuspot/JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko
- copy a new from kernel's modules
Code:
cp /lib/modules/current/JoikuSpot_Bouncer.ko /home/opt/maemo/usr/share/applications/joikuspot/
That's it.

EDIT: You have to do this always when either kernel or JoikuSpot is updated to a newer version.
Thx, that did it.

Tags
joikuspot