Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Sometime My Best friends and my Girl Friend bellowed my N900
They running FileBox/App Manager with root access and deleted/uninstall something like Game/Picture.

HOW TO Protected Run Some Application From Not Phone/N900 Owner?

I found App Locker

http://maemo.org/packages/view/applocker/

but Applocker disabled Shortcut from desktop and need to unlock before use.

I need to keep Desktop Shortcut and Asking for Password when i'm run from shortcut.

Thanks

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Answer: Never allow another human to operate your N900.

Problem solved.

: )

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
One, what the hell are you doing having a girlfriend you can't trust with not deleting your stuff? If it's a relationship worth keeping, you should be able to just tell her, hey, if you do this, you'll delete ****, and you could screw up my phone. I would appreciate it if you were careful and didn't do crap that would risk the phone's wellbeing. Same applies to friends, really, but whatever.

Anyway, two, you have several options:

Figure out how to edit the actual widgets to do the password thing. I have no idea how, but it's possible.

You could get the activity manager, I think it's called - it's a program that lets you set different sets of widgets/shortcuts for different 'activities' - then you can switch 'activities' and you'll get a different set of shortcuts/widgets. That way, when you give them the phone, you can switch from the normal 'activity' to another one, that looks the same but just doesn't let them see the shortcuts to filebox/app manager. (Of course, they can still find them through the menu, but it keeps them at least one more mindless click away from doing something bad.)

OR you can pester someone with the programming knowledge to get them to write an app that will let you actually do exactly what you're asking - set password prompts to be asked when certain applications are ran...

*Shrug* Another idea I can think of is replace your shortcuts you want password prompts for with queen beecons that actually run X-Terminal with the "sudo (command to launch app you want here)" command executed as Terminal is launched. This would effectively take you to an X-Term window with a password prompt. Then you just have to figure out how to set it so that running "sudo ___" actually requires a password, and hope you remember whatever your sudo password is. This won't prevent them from finding those apps from the menu either, but still. Something.

Meanwhile, I myself just don't have any file managers that run as root on my N900. I use strictly X-Terminal for all my root-requiring file managing needs. Keeps the people that might actually delete anything (unless they're malicious enough that I wouldn't give them my N900 if I suspected) from being able to too easily.

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
applock
look for it in the app manager

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by The OP, in the first post
I found App Locker

http://maemo.org/packages/view/applocker/

but Applocker disabled Shortcut from desktop and need to unlock before use.

I need to keep Desktop Shortcut and Asking for Password when i'm run from shortcut.
I get that you were trying to help Fahadj2003, but the OP EXPLICITLY stated he knew about AppLocker, that he did not want AppLocker, and why he did not like the solution it offered.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: