Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I liked so much the kernel hack described by kaze.daniel, allnameswereout and better explained by Simon that I made a package to test it without messing with a root xterm.

The package changes a number of kernel parameters when installed and adds a script to event.d to make the changes permanent. When removed, the script is deleted and the parameters are reset.

Be careful and test it, I'm no expert and made the package "by hand" with dpkg-deb on my ubuntu box.

Let me know if it destroys your n900 or sends your personal data to some rogue site

Also let me know if your n900 gets much snappier after installing it, like mine

As requested by lcuk

> In the top post for this thread, indicate CLEARLY
> the actions and changes it makes

The package issues the following commands which change the way the kernel handles ram and virtual memory (as far as I can understand, i.e. hardly at all)
Code:
echo "30" > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness        
echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/page-cluster        
echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode        
echo "1" > /proc/sys/vm/oom_kill_allocating_task        
echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs        
echo "0" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs       
 echo "60" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio        
echo "95" > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio        
echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps        
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_no_metrics_save
> files modified and overwritten etc

No files are harmed by installing this package, and no carbon dioxide is released . It adds a /etc/event.d/tuning script as described in the swappiness thread.

> In the package, add a clear indication
> of its actions in the README and
> potentially a man page and/or
> a backlink back to here so others can
> discover its actions easily.

The package description has links to the relevant posts in the swappiness thread.

In the next version I'll add also a link to this thread and a banner in postinst and postrm, if & when I discover how's done

I told you I wasn't an expert! Version 0.1.0-1 was flawed in postinst and didn't erase the /etc/event.d/tuning file after package removal (thanks to Mikkov for reporting).
Latest version, 0.1.2 corrects the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: deb swappolube-nogui_0.1.2_armel.deb (3.1 KB, 1010 views)

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-10-07 at 15:04.

The Following 175 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
9000, aanckar, acvetkov, adhrie, aeol, ahmadamaj, Alex Atkin UK, alienhead, AlMehdi, arcticrobot, arnoldux, atilla, backstabber8, BertvanDorp, Bingley Joe, blipnl, Bobbe, borghal, Bundyo, Camaron, ceevee, CepiPerez, cfh11, Changegames, cheve, clasificado, clovis86, corduroysack, Crashdamage, Crugath, cutehunk04, Cybergr, D4rKlar, Dark_Angel85, dashti, DaSilva, datjomp, dave1010, davidian, Dead1nside, Dousan, Drekkie, dscobsct, Duy2anh, ed00, elbttrd, eMiL, Erebo, etuoyo, evad, excelar8, ezameht, fgs, fleetwood, fotis9, fpp, frostbyte, fw190, gabby131, gazza_d, grog, gryedouge, heiwid, Hellmur, HtheB, iagamy, IceJunior, ivnvir, Iyanyola, jaeezzy, jakiman, joelsk, JonWW, jorjino, jurop88, kanna, kent_autistic, klinglerware, knuthf, Larswad, lcuk, leetut, lubabula, lugkhast, m750, maartenmk, maemoiv, maluka, Mandibela, mankir, mannakiosk, Marklar, marxian, masloff, maximilian1st, mehulrajput, Mentalist Traceur, mikki-kun, Minhaz, moepda, MohammadAG, mony123, mosiomm, mrsellout, mthmob, mveplus, n900maniac, Natan_xy, navsin, Nikem, noobmonkey, nux, oldnetdog, ossipena, OVK, P@t, pantera1989, Patola, pavlik, peppe78, peterleinchen, pinkfloyd, plaban, pycage, qole, qosmio, Radishface, raven, rdwrig0ceo, rebhana, retsaw, Rob1n, S0urcerr0r, sachin007, SallyJane, sashabe, SavageBrat, Scottlfa, scribbles, sdixit, shallimus, sjgadsby, skalogre, smartypants, sony123, SpeedEvil, Stonik, strange1712, Straycat, sula, Tharna, thebtman, timsamoff, titi974, travik, tushyd, Umlungu, v13, v2px, Veleno, vkv.raju, VulcanRidr, Wanker, Wikiwide, wimmme, winet05, wowsher, zehjotkah, zem, zetagi, zillertal, zimon
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Do it have a gui or is it hard coded? What are the settings?

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

There's no gui and you won't find any icon. The package only changes some settings like in allnameswereout's http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=59

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Hi Ernesto,
just downloaded but it still doesn't install via HAM, it says 'operation not permitted' (operazione non possibile)
It worked via dpkg -i, though
It is incredible how the device feels after have changed swappiness and cluster values...
Cheers and thx for the package (original author already thkd, too)

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
There's no gui and you won't find any icon. The package only changes some settings like in allnameswereout's http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=59
Ok, then i already have done it.. so i might not se a difference. It is a good hack though. It works.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Downloaded, successfully installed via file-manager->app-manager.
Works Great

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
installed fine. how do know if its working?

Originally Posted by mr_xzibit View Post
installed fine. how do know if its working?
To confirm it has made its dirty work, you could open a terminal window and give
Code:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
You should get 30.

It's the first parameter it modifies (from the original 100), so if it's 30 you could be confident that also the others have been changed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
This looks like a very handy tweak indeed -- thanks for packaging it

Just for the sake of having all potentially useful information in one place about this, could someone post removal instructions (or does it show up in App Man)?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
This looks like a very handy tweak indeed -- thanks for packaging it

Just for the sake of having all potentially useful information in one place about this, could someone post removal instructions (or does it show up in App Man)?
It shows up in App Man.

/oxpo

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oxpo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada lubes, bada rox, swappiness, tuning