Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A Nokia engineer flashing a 770 at me in our old factory got me hooked. Getting to take over responsibility for quality of the product line for the US just aced it. And once I stumbled upon Internet Tablet Talk and the crazies here, I knew I had found a home. What keeps me here is the potential of the products-- but I'll admit the last year and a half have been really tough. Still, nothing can beat the friends I've made here.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Errrm.
"N810/N900 bug report handling: Making finishing my university studies way more complicated since 2008!" ? :-P

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Running kismet on my n800 was pretty impressive. Owning the first phone that could jailbreak a PS3 is a pretty good bragging point too. Watching nitdroid boot up for the first time? Awesome.
Getting my first .deb file to install (that I compiled) is pretty great too. That's when I realized we don't have to sit around crying to Nokia for updates, even if it's not 100% open source. There's still lots of things we can do to improve the devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
I bought an N900 as I was intrigued to see whether it was a viable alternative to carrying a Laptop whilst traveling.

Little did I realise that I also bought into a great (and for the most part helpful) community.

It's quite refreshing to go onto a forum where most folk are positive and are keen to help each other

I have some Linux knowledge and have enjoyed "getting in about" xterm though I certainly don't have the skills to design an app myself which makes me appreciate more the work of the developers.

As a result of the efforts of the Community, in the 9 months I have had my N900, not only has it replaced my laptop when I'm traveling but also my PDA.

Here's to the future...

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Varies highs for me coming over from Windows and trying Linux for the first time with my shiny new N800 back in Nov 2008.
I remember muddling through alot of things until I found ITT. MY favourite moments in no particular order
1)Dual booting OS2008 off mmc
2)Writing first script
3)Getting the "Sick feeling" when thought tablet was bricked for first time only to spring back to life after my first successful os flash
4)NITDroid
5)Writing my first "Hello World"
But the biggest high and plus point for maemo has and always will be this community where ever Nokia leads us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
For me the highlights were for example the maemo summits.
Also in the more recent past the coding competition.
Basically everything where the community comes together and build something great.
I like it also if the community meets in "real life".
Because of that I'm organizing the mobile freidae here in Berlin.
The page needs updating, its showing the dates from the second freidae event
Its great you got people together in c-base again, its got such a cool atmosphere

I remember the amazing time everyone had at the 2008 summit there and the awesome friends and connections we made in the space-station!
It would be great to find a way to get over for the next one.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
I started on the n8*0 tablets due to a) seeing my teacher use a n770 b) needing a decent device for e-reading with a large screen size, screen res and battery life for its time. Having the flagship Nokia store on my doorstep made it easy to test run.

Highlight for me was from peers in my lecture always wanting to know how I could come to lectures with no bag and just use Xournal to annotate lecture notes + take notes. Also to know what I was using in the same lecture to web surf on a big screen.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-09-15 at 21:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
My journey with nokia tablets started with the Nokia 7710 in 2005. I really liked the wide screen touch screen. After coming to the US in 2006, i sold my 7710 to replace it with a 770. From then on, there was no looking backwards. The NIT's were my dearest friends and bedside companions.
I was amazed at how i could multi-task on the 770. Then came the N800 which was a great improvement hardware wise. Using the turning webcam to video chat was a wonderful experience.
The community was awesome. Right from Thoughtfix's competitoin for the n810, the No-bounds project, Canola to Cloning the os onto the SD card was a great experience. Then came the n900. The n900 helped me to get rid of the n95 and the speed and usability of Maemo 5 was awesome. My biggest peeve with the n900 is the smaller screen. All in all this is a wonderful community which helped me have a great time in the US.

Thanks everyone.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
N900 is my first maemo device. I played with an 770 and always considered it a dream device, had there been a phone in it. So I was pretty happy the N900 was announced. Biggest highlight was when I did "apt-get install git". Somehow that just made me realized the possibilities.

Recently things like Tweak Flash Ver and MeeGo weekly releases have warmed my heart.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
Making my first ever voip call a few hours after the first version of Gizmo Project for the 770 was released was extremely exciting, and I recall being very impressed with the audio quality.

I miss being able to completely mute the 770's speaker by holding my thumb over it... The N900 has left me blaring audio that I wished I could instantly mute more times than I can count.

I was in 2006 and still am today looking forward to the (hopefully not too) distant future when there will be a completely everyday-usable community-supported free-as-in-freedom mobile phone OS. I have some small hope that meego will be the basis of that, but I won't get my hopes up far again until I see people making calls with it on non-nokia hardware.

Nokia has made me a far more cynical person. I think the Maemo project set back the mobile free software movement immensely, and now that it is finally over I'm still not sure if that should be attributed to malice or incompetence

The Following User Says Thank You to finite For This Useful Post: