Active Topics

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
How successful was Sun at Software again? I remember Rich Green trying to sell JavaFX. Let's hope he has more success at Nokia.
It is very hard to actually compare both Sun and Nokia.

First, the hardware: If you think that Sun and Nokia would provide the OS free. The amount of cell phones sold are much higher if you compare to the amount servers sold, simply because everyone needs a phone. Plus the kind of OS development (I might be talking BS here) required for a Server seems to me to be much more money hungry than a mobile OS.
Symbian development, and even more now with Linux/Maemo/Meego, the costs are spread thin across different vendors
/companies. Which other partners had Sun in developing Solaris? Sure they didnt come from IBM or HP.

Second, services: Besides technical help what else could Sun sell as a service? 100€ certifications? Nokia has a much broader service range that could be monetized (could be, but are not properly, if at all). On the top of that there is Ovi Store and (if rumors are true) they will start data mining our asses so much that they will know the last time you ate chilli.

Sun had a huge portfolio of software that from night to day was almost entirely open sourced and almost no help from outside.

Just for this only point Nokia/intel has proved to be more successful with MeeGo.

Dont you agree?

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
This reminds me of a particular other tech company... hmm... wait, no,... I had its name on my tongue, but it's now gone.
Commodore?

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Must be Commodore--he said it's now gone.

I'm joking.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Pfft. Y'all talking about Atari again?

Cue Bladerunner curse...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
No this is the wrong way to go. What they need is more discipline on the release schedule. Maybe be clearer in their messages outwards. And have better connection with the community.
Yeah, as time goes by trust evaporates. Then even those in their corner start to turn.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Second, services: Besides technical help what else could Sun sell as a service?
Systems integration would the be obvious ones.

Nokia has a much broader service range that could be monetized (could be, but are not properly, if at all).
None of the "Ovi services" are even vaguely competent or competitive, with the exception of Maps. But since Maps has been made free to compete with Google even their single potential revenue earner is gone. Furthermore they need to continue pumping money into developing Maps if they want to continue competing with Google Maps.

On the top of that there is Ovi Store
Now that's desperate!

and (if rumors are true) they will start data mining our asses so much that they will know the last time you ate chilli.
Nokia are sickly obsessed with market studies and metrics. Buried in all that meaningless data they can't see the forest for the trees. Most of what they need to know is right there in their forums - act on people's complaints (and by act I don't mean censoring people who criticise Nokia or their products).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post: