Posts: 144 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cali
@egoshin

Thanks for the response, dude. First of all, everyone around me had perfect connection with the college's wi-fi. And the college would alert us if it was down or malfunctioning. The university's wi-fi is definitely up. And when I connect to my house's wi-fi, it doesn't mention any of this country changing business. I reboot on a daily basis for one thing or another so that would have already remedied the country issue.

Thanks for the feedback though. I appreciate it

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Alright, to be completely honest, this is where stuff is out of my league. If I get the chance, I'll poke around in some of the N900's system files, see if anything in there might have to do with it detecting WiFi connections.

At this stage, perhaps installing Kismet or aircrack-ng and seeing if you can get your hands on a patch that lets your WiFi go into monitor mode (I am pretty sure that's been worked into Titan's kernel by now, though I don't know), you could use one of them to see what packets you can capture, and if you can detect the network through that... But I can't give any advice there because I lack any working skills with running either of those programs.

The only thing I can imagine that isn't a corrupt or damaged system file or driver is if the WiFi that the campus broadcasts has been renamed, or has the same name but is broadcast with different hardware/different settings/different-other-stuff-that-might-make-it-present-itself-as-a-different-network at a low-level-software level. Which, again, goes into the out-of-my-area-of-expertise, unfortunately...

What I would recommend is, yes, delete the connection from your saved Internet Connections, and then see if it finds it a-new...

I personally haven't yet flashed to Titan's kernel (planning to eventually, to squeeze maximum potential from the device, but to be honest, so far the device is almost good enough in every way without it for me), so I'm not sure exactly how it works or what options you can have in it, and/or if there's any bugs in it that may be relevant to this.

I also suppose, because now I'm just reaching in the dark based on educated guesses, that some background daemon could be causing this, but I know of no application that does anything WiFi specific that might lead it to ignore one particular WiFi... Did you by any chance install that Free WiFi app? I don't remember the exact name nor know much about it, because the description was in a language I don't know (some European one, though, most likely), but it may do something like this... (Though I assume you've probably uninstalled that by now, which means unless it left some background process on the device, you should be rid of that.)

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-09-16 at 04:11. Reason: Hit submit before finishing my post.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
@Mentalist

Thanks again
Nope, I didn't install any Free Wifi app or anything like that. And I will delete the entry and try again Friday (no class tomorrow). I know that the wi-fi name has not changed and I don't think that hardware has changed due to the constant availability of wi-fi on
campus. Not sure though. But if any of their hardware has changed, I couldn't imagine why everyone else can connect with laptops, phones, devices while I cannot.

...this is so odd. Nothing has ever been wrong with my n900. And this problem is so particular.

If anyone knows how to properly use aircrack-ng or kismet in way I could understand and in a way that could help my issue, that'd be fantastic

I know someone, somewhere on this forum can help.

Help please!!!

Summation of problem: Cannot connect to university wifi, yet everything else on my phone appears to work perfectly.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by thefoxtrot View Post
I know someone, somewhere on this forum can help.

Help please!!!

Summation of problem: Cannot connect to university wifi, yet everything else on my phone appears to work perfectly.
Did you ask your favourite sysadmin at the university? Maybe you need a VPN-client?? My universities require one to use the wifi.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Maybe you need a VPN-client?? My universities require one to use the wifi.
I think if that was the case at least one of his peers who could connect would mention something like that.

Perhaps go to the IRC chat for maemo.org (I THINK there is one) and see if any of the advanced users who idle there (supposedly) on a semi-regular basis can help.

Meanwhile, sorry I'm not being entirely helpful - manually editing the N900's files and installing extras-devel stuff caught up to my shortly after my last post last night: N900 went into a boot-loop, so I just got the time to reflash the FIASCO image.

So I'll be out of commission for a while downloading everything again, editing the files back to where I want them, recreating my semi-custom theme...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you get the right sysadmin, one who isn't "whoa, that isn't Windows, OF COURSE it doesn't work," there should be a way to figure this out easily, I would think. I mean, your N900 should at least SEE the damn thing.

Since it DID work once, unless there were drastic changes, it should work again.

I wouldn't uninstall programs one by one, as was suggested. I would back up everything and reflash. Without restoring anything, I would immediately look for the network.

I didn't see in all the discussion whether you have seen anyone using Linux that can get on. You might be able to find a clue by asking them if they had any trouble doing it.

There have to be Linux users on campus. Have you talked to them? Someone sophisticated might get interested in the problem...

I don't think Titan's kernel has anything to do with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys.
Responses always help. I will attempt to find some linux gurus at my school, maybe hang out by the computer science building or something. Reflashing is my last resort, I am so tired of flashing my device. I've done it so many times. I will head on over to IRC chat sometime as well

Still going to keep my thread alive until someone can directly help me.

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ United States
hey just wondering, what school are you at in cali?

Originally Posted by te37v View Post
hey just wondering, what school are you at in cali?
Lol. Do you attend college in Cali too or something?

Thanks for posting and keeping my thread near the top!