Active Topics

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
perhaps wait untill the future arrives to post such threads

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Haha. If I wait until the device is out, how can I propose a feature that requires hardware modifications? Think about it

The Following User Says Thank You to Naranek For This Useful Post:
lol your right maybe take it to the meego forums. as no hdmi ports will be appearing on a maemo device (ever)

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
You could make your own cable. Adapter from HDMI to USB (connect the datapins together - see "charge from dumb sources" for more info). But ensure with a small electronic that you don't get more than 50mA out of the HDMI Port.

I don't know if the N900 will charge with only 50mA. Perhaps you should test first if it is enought?

As far as I know it provides 3 modes for charging:
  • USB without power registration (don't know how much power is possible - I guess 100mA)
  • USB with power registration (500mA)
  • dumb sources (up to 1,2A and really fast)

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-09-17 at 09:43.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Naranek, I see what you are getting at, however, from the the link provided in your first post it implies that the power is coming from the output device not the display device, do you have any better sources that indicate the displays provides power on the 5V line?

Also 55mA is such a small amount of current as to be practically useless, you'd want the current to be over 500mA to be useful, and for reference the N900 charger outputs 1200mA.

Nice idea though.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Thanks for the reply retsaw. Good point on the voltage source. I'm not 100% sure, but it might be that the current does in fact run only from the device (source) to screen (sink).

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by Naranek View Post
Brainstorm proposal
How strange!! I was thinking about the exact same thing early this week. You beat me to it by creating a brainstorm.

I hope we see future devices with this feature of charging through the HDMI port. It only makes sense.

Thanks,

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mr_xzibit View Post
your right maybe take it to the meego forums.
No, that's not the place either. Please see qgil's post in the "How to raise a Bug against Hardware from Vendors (Nokia)?" in the MeeGo Forums.

bug? who said anything about a bug?

the guy is brainstorming a feature that clearly is unrelated in the maemo forum. i sugested he take it to the meego forum.
as they are the future of maemo.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by mr_xzibit View Post
bug? who said anything about a bug?

the guy is brainstorming a feature that clearly is unrelated in the maemo forum. i sugested he take it to the meego forum.
as they are the future of maemo.
Did you read the linked thread? The "bug" was a hardware suggestion for a (possible) future MeeGo handset. qgil explained that the MeeGo forum is for the discussion of non-manufacturer specific MeeGo software only. Hardware suggestions are off-topic there and should be directed to individual MeeGo handset manufacturers via the manufacturers' own, established channels.