Chuck Norris only steps in after thread has reached 100 or more pages...

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
It's interesting to note that many of the complaints in this thread about "bugs" only suggest that some people need clarification regarding the difference between bugs and missing features.

not having a feature (like email sorting, calender searches etc) is not a bug. screen going blank and not being able to answer calls? that's a bug. big difference. i'd like bug fixes AND new features but will be more than happy if 1.3 only fixes bugs

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ sweden/dalarna
hi everyone .some news on the state of the n900 from the head of marketing at nokia sweden. klas ström

Anders: Hallå! är ägare av en N900. Undrar lite om Nokia har övergett den totalt. Vad hände med det (nästan utlovade) fulla flashstödet (v.10.1)? Är en OK mobil, men fortfarande rätt så buggig i min mening. Nån firmwareuppdatering på gång? Tacksam för frågeteckensuträtning...

Nokia: Hej Anders, Givetvis inte, det ligger en mjukvaru uppdatering planerad inom kort till N900. Vad den innehåller kan vi inte gå in på nu. -Klas

this is a response to a readers question in the swedish magazine mobil weekly chat. In short it say that nokia is about to release a software update to the n900 in the near future.
if anyone is interested you can always use google translator to read all of the chat

http://www.mobil.se/nyheter/Lasarna-...-1.371269.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stefan-78 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
N900 rocks......best mobile computing in the world.......the phone for the new ubber man

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
It's interesting to note that many of the complaints in this thread about "bugs" only suggest that some people need clarification regarding the difference between bugs and missing features.

not having a feature (like email sorting, calender searches etc) is not a bug. screen going blank and not being able to answer calls? that's a bug. big difference. i'd like bug fixes AND new features but will be more than happy if 1.3 only fixes bugs
It's very, very unlikely that any change which affects the UI will be included in PR1.3.

The UI is sacrosanct to Nokia and the specification for the UI is basically set in stone now, and has been pretty much since launch, so don't expect any updates that require that UI Specification to be modified. Even if the UI Spec is patently and obviously wrong or flawed, it's unlikely to be corrected - that's how anal Nokia can be about it.

I'll just be grateful to receive bug fixes - bug #11139 being one of the most needed.

Originally Posted by stefan-78 View Post
hi everyone .some news on the state of the n900 from the head of marketing at nokia sweden. klas ström

Anders: Hallå! är ägare av en N900. Undrar lite om Nokia har övergett den totalt. Vad hände med det (nästan utlovade) fulla flashstödet (v.10.1)? Är en OK mobil, men fortfarande rätt så buggig i min mening. Nån firmwareuppdatering på gång? Tacksam för frågeteckensuträtning...

Nokia: Hej Anders, Givetvis inte, det ligger en mjukvaru uppdatering planerad inom kort till N900. Vad den innehåller kan vi inte gå in på nu. -Klas

this is a response to a readers question in the swedish magazine mobil weekly chat. In short it say that nokia is about to release a software update to the n900 in the near future.
if anyone is interested you can always use google translator to read all of the chat

http://www.mobil.se/nyheter/Lasarna-...-1.371269.html
Hi,

Thanks for the interview link. I translated into English and found one update that " There is no voice navigation for n900". I was asking the ovi maps team in their blog and they said it is in progress.

Now it looks like that is not true and we will get ever. It is really bad.

Teal: When can N900 voice navigation.
Nokia: Hi Teal, there are no plans for voice-driven navigation of the Ovi Maps for N900, but today there are third party software that supports this. Sincerely, Danie

Note : Copied from translated version of the interview.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ sweden/dalarna
Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the interview link. I translated into English and found one update that " There is no voice navigation for n900". I was asking the ovi maps team in their blog and they said it is in progress.

Now it looks like that is not true and we will get ever. It is really bad.

Teal: When can N900 voice navigation.
Nokia: Hi Teal, there are no plans for voice-driven navigation of the Ovi Maps for N900, but today there are third party software that supports this. Sincerely, Danie

Note : Copied from translated version of the interview.

can you provide a link to maps dev blog? thanks

Thats really sad. How many people could Nokia make happy with voice navigation, and updated flash. Of course they could do it...

I guess it was "take the money and run" for them on the n900. You'd think with that many unsatisfied users they would do it out of pride at this point. If they have any.

Last edited by extendedping; 2010-09-18 at 10:16.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
lets be realistic. The only new stuff that will comr in PR1.3 is:

* Official QtMobility an QT 4.7
* small bugfixes here and there

dont expect ovimaps and flash this is not priorituzed and I agree with nokia on this, they must move forward.

Most of the team behind n900/maemo is probadly working on meego now.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
why would be throwing a couple of highly requested features into one of their most expensive phones (yes it makes calls) to date prevent the worlds largest cell phone manufacturer from moving forward?

If adding voice navigation and new flash to the n900 is what is holding Nokia back from bigger and better things, I'm afraid many many more firings and resignations are in order.

Tags
bigbadidiot, chucknorris, jesus wept, mustread, paradise, umopapisdn