Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 'Demonstrator' N8 at my local Nokia Store and I have to say I was not as impressed as I'd hoped to be.

The case does not impress and feels cheaper than N900, IMO. You never get a second chance to make a first impression and I really think they got this wrong.

The UI is a big improvement over Symbian1, but is nowhere near as smooth or responsive as my unclocked N900. The 'dashboard' to display open apps is not as intuitive as N900.

The screen looks good, but not amazing; and of course does not have N900's resolution.

Ovi Maps looks great, but I won't hold my breath for it coming to N900 anytime soon.

The biggest dealbreaker for me is the lack of HW keyboard, despite the undoubtedly fabulous camera.

I had hoped E7 would resolve this but the fixed-focus EDOF camera is a turn-off for me - I'm just beginning to have fun with Fcam and BlessN900 HDR and would miss the extra functionality.

Overall, I can see the sense in N8 and E7, but perhaps Maemo5 has given me so much I have outgrown Symbian - and I rarely go near the xterm as it is!

My N900 is stable and smooth. I'ne only had to reflash once after a crash and I do play with stuff from the top-shelf repositories when I perhaps should not...

N8 is a great product, but no match for my N900 - for me, at least.

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ ireland
imho n8 is a step back from nokia.they keep developing this crap sytem insteed to move towards maemo/meego.symbiag got a bad opinion and will have always.nokia should admit failure and abandon this.

The Following User Says Thank You to delbana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 'Demonstrator' N8 at my local Nokia Store and I have to say I was not as impressed as I'd hoped to be.

The case does not impress and feels cheaper than N900, IMO. You never get a second chance to make a first impression and I really think they got this wrong.

The UI is a big improvement over Symbian1, but is nowhere near as smooth or responsive as my unclocked N900. The 'dashboard' to display open apps is not as intuitive as N900.

The screen looks good, but not amazing; and of course does not have N900's resolution.

Ovi Maps looks great, but I won't hold my breath for it coming to N900 anytime soon.

The biggest dealbreaker for me is the lack of HW keyboard, despite the undoubtedly fabulous camera.

I had hoped E7 would resolve this but the fixed-focus EDOF camera is a turn-off for me - I'm just beginning to have fun with Fcam and BlessN900 HDR and would miss the extra functionality.

Overall, I can see the sense in N8 and E7, but perhaps Maemo5 has given me so much I have outgrown Symbian - and I rarely go near the xterm as it is!

My N900 is stable and smooth. I'ne only had to reflash once after a crash and I do play with stuff from the top-shelf repositories when I perhaps should not...

N8 is a great product, but no match for my N900 - for me, at least.
Thanks for your reply mate. Whilst nothing will come near the N900 I was wondering if the N8 would be good to use as my main phone?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At the end of the day if you feel it is the right phone for you then go ahead and get it.

The n900 is now a niche product geared towards people who want to tinker with their device.

For me that's perfect I'm keeping mine but I can understand if other people want a better-supported platform with more mainstream apps to play with.

At the moment the N8 has the most up-to-date version of Symbian and well-supported by third party application developers.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I looked again. At 0:08 and 0:35 she seems to be using her blue nail to drag that scroll bar.
Looked again and you are correct. It seems to be possible to scroll with it.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
At the end of the day if you feel it is the right phone for you then go ahead and get it.

The n900 is now a niche product geared towards people who want to tinker with their device.

For me that's perfect I'm keeping mine but I can understand if other people want a better-supported platform with more mainstream apps to play with.

At the moment the N8 has the most up-to-date version of Symbian and well-supported by third party application developers.
Thats exactly how I feel. The N900 is an awesome phone. I love it, but I do feel that its just "too much" for me lol. I have never had a phone that is basically capable of doing whatever you want! Who needs a lap top!

I feel like I will never use the N900 fully, and the lack of good apps, is also a downer imo. There are great apps out there, but I personally dont need to use them.

I like how the N8 looks like, and I was thinking about it for a long time now. I also like the E7, but I no longer want a physical keyboard.

I am on a 30 day rolling contract with T Mobile now, so its not like I NEED A NEW PHONE, but I do have the opportunity to get one! I can wait for the N9 as an example, but the current leaks out there, I am not too impressed tbh. I think the phone looks ugly, and big, and its not really any good tbh. Plus Meego is a long way off. I am pretty sure the first release of Meego wont be THAT good, and we will have to wait for Meego v2 or v3 before it becomes a proper high end operating system.

Eitherway, I am not abandoning my trusty N900, nor Meego. Maybe just taking a short break

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I'd avoid like the plague if that is the only video around, but can't all be like that. Surely? Nokia has to have learned something from the N900 debacle, even if it is on another OS, they can't be that stupid? But as I am never touching Nokia again I am bias, once bitten twice shy and all that.

Symbian seems seriously out of it's depth in that phone, which sums up Nokia's logic of shipping so much stuff but not letting the OS support it and rushing what OS there is to cope with the massive HW supplied. (N900 face camera being an example)

I am looking at the HTC desire Z, it is the HTC Desire with a slide out keyboard and a few extras. Apart from TV out (Which I see no real use in ever, never mind HDMI out.) It lacks on board memory of the N900 (it is so much faster however), but 9 months on I am yet to have a word processor for Maemo, so I haven't missed what I actually got the N900 to do which was some document editing. So going back to a supported and proven phone I think is the key.

You should take a look if you want something that works with a track record outside Nokia.

Good luck if you do go with the N8, me thinks you might need it.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
but 9 months on I am yet to have a word processor for Maemo,
Hey Twig,

Thanks for your post. Regarding your Word Processor, I have been using AbiWord for a few months now, and it works great. Just like Word in Office.

Not too sure how you missed it, but download AbiWord.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
It lacks on board memory of the N900 (it is so much faster however), but 9 months on I am yet to have a word processor for Maemo, so I haven't missed what I actually got the N900 to do which was some document editing. So going back to a supported and proven phone I think is the key.
One option is using the full blown desktop version of OpenOffice via EasyDebian on the N900.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Hey Twig,

Thanks for your post. Regarding your Word Processor, I have been using AbiWord for a few months now, and it works great. Just like Word in Office.

Not too sure how you missed it, but download AbiWord.
I used abiword but it kept crashing, and when it crashed it left little pink formatting marks thoughout my text. Ruining it as I don't have time to correct a hundred pages where every paragraph had a start and an end in pink. It was the HTML kind of markings?

It happened every time I used abiword, so I steered clear to preserve my headaches.

I might give it another look as it was a few months back and things move quickly, though jakiman mentioned easy debian and open office. I might give it a look see as I like open office.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador