Active Topics

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
AND, google has already said theat they don't think android is ideal for tablets and are going to try chromeOS on their own reference tablet IF they release one
Actually there is quote on carrypad.com saying chromeOS is netbook only, maybe gingerbread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Odd_gunnic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Anyone familiar with Vanjoki knows better than to compare him with Steve Ballmer. Now, contrast maybe...
They both appear to honestly love their companies, straight-shooters unafraid to endorse their product over any others and vocal... and it stops there. The rest differentiates them (true enough) but lowest common denominators and a penchant to say things in triplicate "Developers, developers, developers" or "CBD, CBD, CBD" is compelling evidence of more alike than dislike...

But I get your sentiment. Ballmer comes off as an used-car salesman to me. Always has...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Yes ! But profit margins for PC sales are razor thin since it is a commoditized hardware nearly.

But profit margins from Smartphone sales are much higher - and I am sure each manufactirer (HTC, Moto Nokia) will try to protect the margins - and thats where the differentiation comes in. None of these players want the smartphone to become a commodity hardware running the same OS underneath, if they want to enjoy the profits - and its in Smartphones segment that the greatest profit margins are.
Sure, HTC, Motorola and Nokia are trying to protect the margins. But Sanyo? LG? Companies you've never heard of from China? No chance. And furthermore, if all smartphones run android, it WILL be commoditized hardware. Which leads to razor thin margins. In a sense, it almost already is. The Vibrant isn't that different from the Nexus or the Optimus 1 or the Droid X. It's just a couple of pieces of different hardware. As they expand their lineups, it'll get closer and closer. And that's not where Nokia wants to be.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctbeiser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
Originally Posted by bsving View Post

Maemo turned out to be a dead end road with no future, so what? get over it. This is probably the strangest things with all these symbian bashing threads. Symbian is the most successful mobile OS by far, and it just continue to grow. Meamo is one of the least successful mobile OS'es (not a bad OS by any means, but it has no future, there is no place for it in the mobile world).
First off, no one is boo-hooing about the supposed "dead end road with no future" of Maemo. That's what MeeGo is suppose to be... a continuation of Maemo. Second of all, this isn't a Symbian bashing thread either. The point I was making is that MeeGo will go away just like Maemo did (without any support from Nokia). That's my opinion. We can speculate all we want about MeeGo but it's just funny (in a weird marketing way) that at Nokia World 2010 they spoke nothing about the MeeGo platform that will supposedly be released on some handsets in a couple of months.
Flash Memory: ADATA 32GB SDHC CL10-RA1
Overclocked to 1GHz [Titan's Kernel]
-----------------------------------
Other Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1653766084.png

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by droll View Post
so what does google stand to gain from this?
You've got a point.

I can hear the mutterings from Mountain View:

"Please don't pee in our pants... please don't pee in our pants..."
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
First off, no one is boo-hooing about the supposed "dead end road with no future" of Maemo. That's what MeeGo is suppose to be... a continuation of Maemo.
Since MeeGo-Harmattan is, essentially, Maemo 6 with a colorful, new nameplate, it is very much a continuation of Maemo. GTK was slated to be replaced by Qt in Harmattan long before the merger, so a complete UI rewrite was due anyway, and the substantial similarities between Maemo and Moblin on the lower layers were exactly what led to the merger happening.

Changes end users will see moving from Maemo 5 to MeeGo-Harmattan should primarily be ones they'd have seen moving from Maemo 5 to Maemo 6 anyway. Whether those changes are beneficial or not are up to each individual to decide.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Really, so they don't want to allow others to use the OS on their phones, cars, netbooks etc?
this is so wrong that I cannot find words for it. did you even read/understand what this all is about?

e: I'll edit all my replies here

Originally Posted by yorg View Post
Can you elaborate more on how this makes any difference? The end goal is to create one or more OS for mobile devices. How is a company that adopts Android in any different shape than a company that adopts Symbian or Meego?
if you don't want to head to bulk manufacturing, you need to have your own services. and even better: if you have bought a navigation company and have a lot map data, software, etc, where's the point to use os that has google maps built in?

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
For that matter, isn't using Android on your phone allowing you to concentrate on the business of building your hardware...
that is the problem. unless you can produce stuff cheaper than foxconn, you are in big trouble.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This article is ridiculous. To say that a single-OS/multi-device strategy doesn't work from a profitability standpoint is to ignore the last two decades of Windows computers, and the respective companies producing them that have come to dominate the industry.

With this level of 'foresight' it's not surprising he was fired.
sorry, but you just blew your point with the last words rendering your facts as "facts". Van Joking resigned.

I wasn't surprised when I saw who thanked you btw

Hold on. Is this a common thing with kids in Finland? o.O Maybe he's not quite the wordsmith this company needs speaking on its behalf?
"the boy who cried the wolf"

I am seriously considering that you have really limited capacity between your ears.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Well, then your analogy fails. I don't remember Dell, Gateway, Acer, ..., etc. rewriting the MS Windows UI.
what about lenov... khrm ibm? didn't they get a rid from pc:s? ....

And you KNOW that somewhere down the road, there won't be a difference between the two. (i.e. ChromeOS running Android apps)
how exactly does that differ from S^3(&4) vs MeeGo + Qt?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-09-22 at 04:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You've got a point.

I can hear the mutterings from Mountain View:

"Please don't pee in our pants... please don't pee in our pants..."
It's not quite as cold in Mountain View. Literally and metaphorically.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I am seriously considering that you have really limited capacity between your ears.
Your face has a limited capacity between your ears. :P

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
from a company's standpoint, that is exactly what it is like

I mean, you are sacrificing all of your possible margin on OS to a third party, so yes, while you may sell more phones in the short term(the warmth), soon enough there will be many many more competitors with nearly the same thing and you will be lost in a sea of cheap hardware with little to distinguish youself(the wet cold that comes after)

companies hopping on android are basically selling their souls to google, and google is very good at soul-sucking
So is iOS. And so is Nokia lol. All soul and blood sucking monsters. Just Nokia bad at sucking people soul that's all. Atleast we got OpenSource N900

I disagree. The market is highly saturated...Android platform is on practically every carrier. High end, low end...
Somehow you missed all of the stats flying around. In the overall smartphone market Nokia DOMINATES, and I'm a pretty harsh critic of Nokia's strategies. In the high-end they are virtually non-existent but no one disputes that Nokia absolutely OWNS the majority of low-end. Sorry, I like Android, but the numbers don't support your assertion.

Why is that important? Because of Nokia's brand history and focus on non-US markets, a lot of those low-end customers would look at Nokia's high-end offering first as they move up and as Nokia releases competitive product. Could they move to Android / iOS? Sure, but with that much marketshare, you bet Nokia has customer retention in mind when they released the N8 and E7.

If Nokia gets out of Symbian S^3 and MeeGo, every low-end smartphone customer that wants to enter the high-end smartphone market would have no choice but to go to Android or IOS. At least Nokia gives them that choice. It's no lock, but if they execute well (don't even have to necessarily be better) I think they have a good shot at keeping those customers in the high-end.

Some more than others. Nokia can stand out or be that ALTERNATIVE that a lot of people are looking for but for some reason they keep developing Linux-based OS's (Maemo/MeeGo) that they soon after, drop like the plague only to go back to Symbian.
Maybe. I'm not convinced yet that MeeGo is going to go away. I can see Nokia slimming down to one OS for the mid to high end market. The problem with S^3 is that it's good for phones but not much good for anything else like tablets or auto entertainment / navigation systems. With MeeGo you can have a more comprehensive ecosystem. I can see S^4 going away and if MeeGo is successful in a short time then I can see S^3 fading away too, but those are big IFs.

Symbian doesn't make the consumer's mouths water and they need to understand that.
The millions of smartphone users around the world disagrees. Looking at the high-end US market, I'm with you. Broaden to the overall market and you may not have a case. There are hundreds of millions of smartphone users that are ripe for picking as they move to the high-end and no one is as well positioned to pick them off as Nokia, but they have a lot of work to do to make it happen.

I hope Nokia will wake up and finally take a look around. Oh yeah btw, that was my foretelling about MeeGo. Nokia it seems is already disavowing any mention of it and has become uncomfortable when confronted about it. Nokia World was a prime example of this behavior. Just stop running in place...
Actually, it's not. Who would care about the N8 and E7 if all you talked about was how awesome tablets and MeeGo N9 will be. Do you really they are going to pull a Kanye on themselves. I can see it now at Nokia World...

"Yo Symbian S^3, I'm really happy for you, I'll let you finish, but MeeGo is going one of the best mobile OSes of all time. One of the best OSes of all time!"

Then what, they go on to demo the N8 and the E7? They did the right thing, otherwise they would pretty much have ruined their entire launch, and just from a practical point of view, MeeGo isn't even ready. What, more mockups and more promises that soon you will have in 6 months? No they have to stop doing that. They announce when they're ready to ship and get it to customers hands. They need to be disciplined.

Nokia will be fine. They need to get their act together, but they're executing to what they said they'd do at the beginning of the year. Let them do what they need to do. If the N8 in fact does suck and the E7 is a lame duck, we'll know soon enough. If MeeGo is stillborn then its over.

What you have to realize too is that the Android market is all about comoditization. Who can get it out faster and cheaper. Customers don't care if they have a moto or HTC phone or Samsung. They have Android. If Nokia entered you can bet they can duke it out in terms of design and cost just like the rest of them. They're not there yet.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:

Tags
back it up sam, chair-throwing, change me, nokia's-balmer, show proof, trolling, video stream, we need diapers