Active Topics

Dear Community,

I have refrained from any kind of complaints about Nokia until about two weeks ago. This was when I encountered more and more bugs on the device which are not going to be fixed according to the bugtracker.

Or are going to be fixed in MeeGo, which frankly is of no use for businesses who have committed to the platform. We use the N900 in our company for OpenVPN, VoIP connection / Asterisk, and Exchange/Zarafa connectivity and with a custom monitoring application.

Please see my entry on bug #5786.

I would like to raise this issue with Nokia. It looks obvious to me that Nokia is about to ditch all development, even bugfixing, for the Maemo platform. This leaves all people who have committed to the platform hanging dry.

My proposition would be to have the Community Council raise this issue with Nokia and press for a clear statement:

- how much manpower is still behind Maemo 5 development / bugfixing?
- is there a EOL plan that will see the source code released at some (which?) date in the future?

- what would Nokia respond to customers who are dissatisfied by the very short lifespan of the Maemo5 platform?

Thank you!

This is an issue which is happening with only a few routers apparently since i was able to connect with a Netgear router with this setup for WPS but not with a Buffalo router.

There is a known workaround, in case you come across this , where you have to connect to the router manually, using the internet connection manager in the phone settings menu.

Its a shame that this is not being traced to the root cause and resolved, however it is not a complete showstopper.

Originally Posted by raisemyspirit View Post
Dear Community,

I have refrained from any kind of complaints about Nokia until about two weeks ago. This was when I encountered more and more bugs on the device which are not going to be fixed according to the bugtracker.

Or are going to be fixed in MeeGo, which frankly is of no use for businesses who have committed to the platform. We use the N900 in our company for OpenVPN, VoIP connection / Asterisk, and Exchange/Zarafa connectivity and with a custom monitoring application.

Please see my entry on bug #5786.

I would like to raise this issue with Nokia. It looks obvious to me that Nokia is about to ditch all development, even bugfixing, for the Maemo platform. This leaves all people who have committed to the platform hanging dry.

My proposition would be to have the Community Council raise this issue with Nokia and press for a clear statement:

- how much manpower is still behind Maemo 5 development / bugfixing?
- is there a EOL plan that will see the source code released at some (which?) date in the future?

- what would Nokia respond to customers who are dissatisfied by the very short lifespan of the Maemo5 platform?

Thank you!
I don't represent the council, but I can probably answer on behalf of what Nokia might say or what answers your looking for.

1) We can't say anything about that but we do have a team working on PR 1.3. (or they might allude to something about bug fixes and QT 4.7).

2) Nope. But the N900 will get vanilla Meego.

3) Too bad.

Anyway, Maemo after PR 1.3. is pretty much dead in terms of future work or updates coming to it (or we might see a community fremantle update repo). The future of the N900 will either be vanilla Meego with community hacked Meego-Harmattan stuff. Or NITDROID.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
I think that was marked as WONTFIX because a workaround exists -- entering the connection manually instead of doing a scan. It did waste a few minutes of my time figuring this out at my cousin's house, not wanting to go searching for their router at 2am. And I don't really agree with them ignoring EASY TO FIX bugs like this, how they expect us to keep buying new devices when they are lazy like this is beyond me.
Anyways, it looks like we are going to have to upgrade to MeeGo. Maemo might not be officially in maintainence mode yet, but it might as well be if we can't convince them to fix crap like this.
You can at least be happy MeeGo is 100% open and maintainable, and will not come out in some state that is not working on n900. n900 is a reference device, it MUST work. Hopefully your business doesn't suffer too much in the transition
Here's some blog post that might be interesting to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
+1 for bugfixing!

Thanks everyone.

I have notified the Community Council and asked them to have a look at my post.

@Laughing Man: this is your speculation, therefore no comment.

@all: I am aware of the workaround, and yes it works. But we made the mistake of trying to actually use this device in a productive way. It seems not possible, it is a time hog and will actually hurt productivity.

Looking back since January, a cellphone and a netbook would have been both cheaper in terms of hardware cost and labour for our use, which by the way is pretty much square on what Nokia marketed the device for (mobile computer with phone functionality). And I have put up with this in good faith that in time this will get better and bugs will get fixed.

Well...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
n900 is totally not "production ready" device. things have been like that since months before the device was even announced. so you should start searching for other options.

at least I wouldn't touch n900 even with a flagpole if I'd need something for doing productive work.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by raisemyspirit View Post
Thanks everyone.

I have notified the Community Council and asked them to have a look at my post.
What you should do instead is contact Nokia commercial support. Tell them the "6 devices story".

On a personal note you can easily do a UI that will list nearby APs but auto-configure non-WPS connections to them.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-09-26 at 19:20.

I too think Nokia's official support has somewhat better chance of actually reaching people who make decisions.