Notices

Looks like an useful application. However, I see that much of the functionality relies on the N900 /sending/ SMS messages. Does that imply that you need a second cellphone to receive them?

Paai

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
@ paai:

Yes, it can be any cellphone to send SMS commands to SMSCON.

Only if SMSCON has never been send messages to and phone is stolen
and swapped with other SIM card it will send SMS message to predefined cellphone number (user option SENDERNUMBER in "smscon_config" file).

After this, sending a SMS command to the new SIM card number ('thiefs' SIM card number) it will send return SMS's to your currently used cellphone (and this number is stored in SENDERNUMBER in "smscon_config" file).

Is the script activated if there is a bunch of coded words in the subject line? Like if my friend accidentally sends me a message with the subject line "Check out my new Power Lock...", does it execute the 3 corresponding commands?

Originally Posted by zerocool2k View Post
Is the script activated if there is a bunch of coded words in the subject line? Like if my friend accidentally sends me a message with the subject line "Check out my new Power Lock...", does it execute the 3 corresponding commands?
No, here is a example:

COM_LOCK = 'Lock'

If some message is: 'The Lock of my door is broken', SMSCON is not trigged.

Even 'LockLock' or ' Lock' or 'Lock ' (spaces!) doesn't trigger it.

Only with message: 'Lock'.

The Following User Says Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
It would be nice to have an option to register a number that is the only valid to send the smscon commands.
I know the chances are pretty low that someone else will actually send a command to my n900, but they still exist. And i wouldn't be overly happy to expose my current location or a picture of myself/surrounding to someone that is pinging my phone.

Or did i somehow miss the point and my n900 only returns requests to a certain predefined number? Meaning that anybody (like 12345) can send a command, but the reply always goes to my defined number (i.e. 7890)...

Originally Posted by n900testa View Post
It would be nice to have an option to register a number that is the only valid to send the smscon commands.
I know the chances are pretty low that someone else will actually send a command to my n900, but they still exist. And i wouldn't be overly happy to expose my current location or a picture of myself/surrounding to someone that is pinging my phone.

Or did i somehow miss the point and my n900 only returns requests to a certain predefined number? Meaning that anybody (like 12345) can send a command, but the reply always goes to my defined number (i.e. 7890)...
No, it will send the reply to the cellphone it's send from. You can adjust the commands to any encrypted word/message, example: '7139035Location' or '85Whats12my67Location93' (for GPS location).

Nobody will ever gues this (possibilities are almost unlimited) and if choosen right nobody will 'hack' your phone...

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Hey there,

First off this is a really nice application, it's coming along very nicely.

A few bugs (and fixes) though:

Using version 0.4.4-5 in -testing, the reboot and poweroff commands currently fail.
Reboot fails because of line 714 of smscon_daemon:

Code:
    logging.info('executing command "%s"' % Com)
As "Com" is not a valid global, the command fails at the above logging line (before actually executing the reboot) - The line should be changed to:

Code:
    logging.info('executing command "%s"' % COM_REBOOT)
Similarly, poweroff currently fails for the same reason - Line 728 of smscon_daemon reads:

Code:
    logging.info('executing command "%s"' % Com)
And should be:

Code:
    logging.info('executing command "%s"' % COM_POWEROFF)
Additionally purely a cosmetic issue, emailed images are currently always sent with the alt text "map of location of Nokia N900", even if the image being emailed is a frontcam picture, not the location with google map image added.
This is set in line 377, imo the line should either have more generic alt text set, or the alt text should be set as part of the differing message bodies for different email reasons, rather than be set statically.

Hi

Whenever I send a test email with picture, the picture is always black?

Checked no fingers in the way.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by slewis1972 View Post
Hi

Whenever I send a test email with picture, the picture is always black?

Checked no fingers in the way.

Any ideas?
Try to take a picture of a lamp just to see if your camera works.

I assume you are inside a room when you are testing this with relatively low light.
If you go out in daylight and there is no issue with your camera it should take an ok picture.

What I'm trying to say is that is a known limitation of the front camera.

@ nidO:

Thanks for pointing this out, will be fixed in next release.

Current changes/fixes for upcoming 0.4.4-6 release:
* FIX: COM_REBOOT & COM_POWEROFF command fail when used.
* FIX: alt text of email image is wrong.
* CHANGE: initial network connection will be restored after using test modes (in SMSCON-editor) and smscon will also stop running when finished in test mode.
* CHANGE: added time notation (again) in smscon log file.

Other:
* improved data connection handling (again).
* minor code cleanup