Notices

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Side note: I hit the "activate all tracks" button (as button mashing is my primary means of learning how things work), and then when i exited to the map all of the buttons were gone and i had to kill the program from the power switch as it was non-interactable. And since then the screen is only black when i load the program. Any suggestions on how to get the screen back and the program usable again without having to purge-reinstall?

Move file
/opt/modrana/data/options.bin
somewhere else, and start modrana.
All options reset, all problems go away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
MartinK - thanks for implementing my patch

Quick question - what's the easiest way to checkout the latest modrana sources? I had a bit of a search through your trac site but couldn't find instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
FYI, on the discussion about setting up local on-device routing, I thought you may be interested in this article about how someone got a set of routing programs setup locally on the N900. I'm betting with a little tweaking it could be turned into a package that would allow users to setup a routing server on their own device. May not be the "best" solution, but better than nothing when there's no network available.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
FYI, I followed dead_orc's advice here ... and I have now got eSpeak talking over music in modRana. The only issue is that the overall volume jumps quite high (both music + synthesised speech) for the duration of the eSpeak output, but there's probably a simple fix for it somewhere & I can live with it "as is" no problem.
Nice find ! But integrating this could be a bit tricky, as it basically modifies probably quite important system configuration files. This can be basically done only during the installation, as the application has the root privileges needed to modify the system configs only during installation. I think I'll just link to the howto, so users can enable this when they need it. Or something like an "enable eSpeak over music" metapackage ?
There are probably some DBUS commands for interacting with the media player, so something like pausing playback when modRana activates espeak could be doable.

Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
It would probably be a bit complex to check the direction of travel against the step one should be on to see if you are actually on the route between step 1 and 2 on a reroute and thus have it switch to step 2 automatically.
Yeah, this could probably work in most cases. Just find the nearest point (in case you skipped more that the first point) and then check towards which point you are oriented (rerouting is mostly done when moving so the current direction should be quite accurate).
Then either leave the closest on, if you are moving in the opposite direction switch to the next.

Yes. For instance, when i first fired it up i thought the blue boxes were buttons that should be clickable and do what they say on them. I thought they were just buttons that hadn't yet been implemented since they didn't do anything when i clicked them, and didn't seem to change when i hit "save a track log". Knowing the difference between saving and activating a track would be helpful in this regard to new users.
Yeah, they are just not finished yet They should be clickable + configurable when complete. BTW, actually adding new widgets (logging button/indicator, custom search widget, etc.) has sense after in GUI widget configuration is implemented. Or 95% users would simply not see the widgets as they would need to enable them by editing the config files.

Cool. I just thought of another one: Is there a way to easily pull up the reverse directions? Now, my memory is pretty good, and i am not bad at retracing where i have been, but a "reverse route" button somewhere would be handy.
This could be done quite easily, but there are a few caveats
The routing takes one-way routes into account, you can see this when you swap the start and destination, the resulting route is often different.
When you just reverse the route, modRana could basically send you to one-way route from the wrong direction.
Also, if your route includes a highway, following it in a reversed order is NOT a good idea.

Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
Side note: I hit the "activate all tracks" button (as button mashing is my primary means of learning how things work), and then when i exited to the map all of the buttons were gone and i had to kill the program from the power switch as it was non-interactable. And since then the screen is only black when i load the program. Any suggestions on how to get the screen back and the program usable again without having to purge-reinstall?
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Any suggestions on how to get the screen back and the program usable again without having to purge-reinstall?
There is still a chance that a incorrectly formated tracklog can crash the drawing code...before it can draw and setup the menu button, so the tracklog drawing can't turned off
The current workaround is to move/delete /opt/modrana/data/options.bin file, as this is where all the options are stored.
I have recently found another tracklog that is causing this, so I can reproduce this and look what goes wrong. I hope I can find the root cause this time.

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
1> Is there any way to save the current location (or enter a searched for location) as a POI? I know if I search for a place, like a bar or a restaurant, I can save that as a POI. But if I search for an address, or want to record my current location as a POI, there seems to not be a way to do it.
The current POI functionality is basically just a proof of concept. It is going to be completely revamped (sqlite for storage, configurable categories, tags, etc.), and better integrated with other features. Storing about anything reasonable as a POI will be supported

2> Is there a way to specify a filter for eSpeak? I could put one in myself I suppose by making eSpeak a script that filters it's input and feeds it to the real eSpeak executable... but that's kind of hackish. I'm just a little distracted by "Turn right on Main Saint" and "Turn left on to Hickory Doctor" (for Main St. and Hickory Dr. accordingly. Having a way to pre-filter the speech just for modRana would be best, since sometimes I'll want Dr. to mean Doctor (like when announcing a caller).
ModRana is already applying a few filtering rules after getting the route, as the directions contain xml tags that need to be removed/replaced before letting espeak to read it. For example, bold tags are replaced by the espeak <emphasis> tag, etc. Filtering according to a file with keyword:replacement pairs should be quite easy to add. I've already added a ticket for this feature to the ever growing ticket heap

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
MartinK - thanks for implementing my patch
Well, thanks for the patch Every form of help is welcome!

Originally Posted by zombiepig View Post
Quick question - what's the easiest way to checkout the latest modrana sources? I had a bit of a search through your trac site but couldn't find instructions.
There is a source tarball in the download section, that Is generated together with the other packages by my buildscript and is generally available not long after pushing the package to the Maemo repositories.

I use a SVN repository to manage the project sourcecode,
but direct anonymous read only access to the repository is unfortunately not working. The SVN repo together with the trac instance is hosted by our faculty's NLP lab, I'll ask them if they can enable it.
The repository can be browsed through the trac web interface, under "Browse source", the main branch is named "trunk".
You can download the current revision as a zip file using a link on the bottom of the source browser page

FYI, on the discussion about setting up local on-device routing, I thought you may be interested in this article about how someone got a set of routing programs setup locally on the N900. I'm betting with a little tweaking it could be turned into a package that would allow users to setup a routing server on their own device. May not be the "best" solution, but better than nothing when there's no network available.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
When you just reverse the route, modRana could basically send you to one-way route from the wrong direction.
I think ThePooBurner means swap start and destination points and reroute

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
"It is going to be completely revamped (sqlite for storage, configurable categories, tags, etc.), and better integrated with other features."

I don't like SQLite... because I cannot read sqlite files by vi

Again, thank you for the application!

Hey MartinK have you seen this yet?
http://blog.mikeasoft.com/2010/09/24...en-street-map/

Could be some useful stuff in there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiepig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Claremont (LA), California
One problem I've noted is that most of the data-entry screens (e.g., route destination address) seem to use a black font. That doesn't work so well against the 900's default black background...

Dears,

I'm located in Egypt, any idea if this will work with me or not?

"live today like you were going to die tomorrow, plan for tomorrow like you we going to live for ever.."

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps