Active Topics

I can't make it work. With ubuntu on laptop it connected right away, didn't even need to set up anything, but with phone can't.

Security for connection is WPA-Enterprise, Encryption type:TKIP
Then do „Choose a network authentication method“ - „Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)“
and then untick „Validate server certificate“, and use Authentication Method-a: „EAP-MSCHAP v2“ untick „Automatically use my Windows logon name and password“.
(citing from guide for vista)

And after that's made I need to log in with my username and password I got from uni.

Seems complicated, iirc on ubuntu I just finished it in few clicks hmm.

Any thoughts what I should do to make this work?

Put your username and password into the last form after "mschap" then click next and go to advanced. Click the EAP tap and check the manual username tab. Enter your username and save it. Hopefully that works

I seem to have a reasonable connection without the manual username:

Network mode: Infrastructure
Security method: WPA with EAP
EAP type: PEAP
Select certificate: None
EAP method: EAP MSCHAPv2
User name: same as I use at uni - no domain information
Password: ***
Prompt password at every login: uncheck
Advanced: My uni uses a proxy for internet so - checked use proxies, added proxy and port for http and do not use proxy for *.myuni.edu

It won't connect automatically but once selected it connects fine and logs in to IM and VOIP. I'm prompted for username and password whenever I start a session through the http proxy but this is the same from anywhere in the uni network. It's quite useable, so far. I don't know your exact config requirements but my instructions looked similar to yours. Good luck!

At uni now and I tried both your methods and messing with options but didn't really help.
Here's guide in my language for XP and vista, though I tried xp one on one guy's PC once and it didn't quite work, but I made it on my win7 hmm. I'll bring laptop tomorrow to see what exactly I did on ubuntu but here's the guide, you can get something from pictures or something hmm.

Also it mentions WPA-Enterprise and TKIP before choosing PEAP, I'm never asked for that hmm
http://www.udgedu.me/fmefb/files/dow...26072248_1.pdf
http://www.udgedu.me/fmefb/files/dow...35415424_1.pdf

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
You gave us the settings you use on other platforms, but you didn't tell us how you configured your N900.

I use my N900 on the wireless setup at work (which I was involved in implementing, and Windows XP really has some issues with WPA2-Enterprise ...) without problems (with PEAP MSCHAPv2).

However, it didn't work correctly if I added the wireless network from the applet, whereas adding it from Settings->Internet connections->Connections just worked without any fuss (and the additional input it requires of a manually added connection name, but it shows the list of available WLANs at the next step, picks PEAP automatically, you just need to change GTC to MSCHAP during the wizard).

So, please try adding it from Settings->Internet connections.

There may be an obscure bug here, and it may be worthwhile reporting.

I am doing it like that, making new connection at Settings but I tried everything really and couldn't make it work.
Our IT guy at university isn't the best around, hell half of PCs in the library don't work anymore or have some problems, and he didn't know what windows7 was(just before relase) hmm. And for a long time he needed papers with these guides to make connection Q_Q so asking him isn't an option I think

Bula! (Hello) from the Fiji Islands.

Having same problem with error couldn't authenticate using n900 to connect to uni wifi. Tried everything yesterday and our wifi (University of the South Pacific) is similar to No_Limit's (from the pdf guide, our uni guide is similar). Searched this site (Memo Talk) found related problem by "Andrea Grandi" then googled and found this:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/53328

For domain, no option on n900 so will be trying username like this today "username@domain" eg: bloodyidiot@student.uni.com

and also domain/username eg: student/bloodyidiot

As you can see got idea from linked site. Will see if it works for me. Please let me know if it works for anyone else with a PEAP WPA2 wifi. Am a newbie to smartphones and a simple user using computers mainly for research and typing. Ok with Windows and slowly learning Maemo. Hope this is the right place to post this. If not please direct me where I can post and ask about things like what to do in case my n900 is ever stolen, apart from calling the police. (just security minded since not rich)

Last edited by bloodyidiot; 2010-10-05 at 20:02.

Originally Posted by bloodyidiot View Post
For domain, no option on n900 so will be trying username like this today "username@domain" eg: bloodyidiot@student.uni.com

and also domain/username eg: student/bloodyidiot
You need to use backslash, not forward slash, but see below for more info

As you can see got idea from linked site. Will see if it works for me. Please let me know if it works for anyone else with a PEAP WPA2 wifi.
It really would help if people having trouble would provide all the settings they use. Note that WPA2 EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 does NTLM authentication, which AFAIK always uses NT-style usernames, so DOMAIN\username, not the user principal (username@domain.com) or the email address (e.g. username.surname@domain.com) or DOMAIN.COM\username. This should be known by users who have set EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 up on anything besides Windows machines joined to the domain using the MS WiFi stack (IOW, Win XP with HP WiFi stack, Mac OS X, Ubuntu should all require you to know this). Note that for NT usernames, the DOMAIN is the "Netbios domain", not the REALM or DNS domain.If you don't know what the Netbios domain is, I think you can get it from a command prompt on a Windows machine on the domain with:

Code:
echo %USERDOMAIN%
To get the full correct value you should put in the "User name" field on N900, use the following in the Windows command prompt (Start->Run->cmd or similar):

Code:
echo %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%
In my case, when logged into the domain on a Vista machine:

Code:
C:\Users\buchanm>echo %USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME
CORP\buchanm

C:\Users\buchanm>
So, here are my full settings on N900:
Connection Name: WORK-LAN
Connection type: WLAN
Network Name (SSID): WORK-LAN
Network is hiddn: unchecked
Network Mode: Infrastructure
Security Method: WPA with EAP
EAP Type: PEAP
Select Certificate: None
EAP Method: EAP MSCHAPv2
User name: CORP\buchanm
Password: xxxxx
Prompt password at every login: unchecked

The majority of these were detected by the N900, I only needed to enter a "Connection Name", select the correct Wireless LAN (SSID) from the list of detected networks, select the correct "EAP Method", enter the "User name" and "Password".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
You need to use backslash, not forward slash, but see below for more info
Vinaka (hearty thanks). Sorry for slash thing earlier. Will follow advice and be more descriptive (and hopefully correct with detail) from now on. Your explanation are the ones that helped me log in and I was able to access internal and external sites like maemo site too. I was unable to install applications.

Describe 1:

Came to maemo site, " http://maemo.org/intro/ "

and pop up appeared asking to accept cookies, i checked reject all from site since not sure about any antivirus on n900 so to be safe.
Went to download section and then to multimedia page and touched the install button next to FM Radio Player. It showed application manager downloading application and then preparing to install. After 10 seconds I got the error application could not be found. Same for other programs like M media player. (Forgot the exact error, am home now and it's raining heavily otherwise would be writing this from uni and know exact error) But referring to this post

http://forums.internettablettalk.com...d.php?p=791871

error similar to mine, i chek manager log and it says (first lines) "apt-worker: ignoring version from wrong domain: mediaplayer-|10n-ptpt 6.0+r7611+0m5"

What does this mean? Is it I should accept all cookies? Is uni wifi the problem?

Describe 2:
Found post about program to protect n900 if stolen called smscon. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=smscon

Could not find it on download section. I searched "smscon" in search but says "There is no result matching the search criteria. Please try again." Any advice on this would be very appreciated. Warm wishes and ni sa bula vinaka (warm hearty thanks) for help.

Originally Posted by bloodyidiot View Post
I was unable to install applications.
You should probably start a different thread, and/or read on how to install applications.

However, be clear if you are launching the App Manager from the N900 menu, or trying to install packages from the web browser.