You notice at the very end his hand is behind the screen. I wonder if it's prone to tipping over like the last one.

Cool company. I hope they make it long enough to eventually have a multi-core A-9 offering.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZASK...layer_embedded

Notice he never lets go of the screen

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
This looks interesting. And, as the CrunchGear article points out, these guys HAVE delivered on their previous devices so they've got a tangible record of delivering on their announcements of new devices:

Also... a *REAL* and *fully* open-source friendly device.
Just to be exact - they are basically a garage shop that customizes beagleboards (I wouldn't be suprised if it turned out the new stuff is basically a beagleboard xM, does anyone know ?). They had build and support issues (not really a surprise given the size of the operation), but their heart is in the right place - and they really love what they do, which is always a plus.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Their hardware solution is interesting. The mid connects to a IO board via a special connector. A connector that can also take what amounts to a TI and ram on a separate board (basically the same as what is inside the mid), or their usb to hdmi dongle (this is how your able to use the dongle to make the "smartbook" act as a secondary screen).

As for their "multi-os" ability, i suspect it is similar to what archos did with the 5IT. Basically they have taken the dalvik VM of android and put it on top of their existing linux distro, and rigged a button of some kind of switch between the distros xorg display and the vm display (would not surprise me if their ubuntu support is based on the debian chroot solution developed for maemo).

And yes, the screen resolution on the mid sucks for the price they are asking.

Last edited by tso; 2010-09-26 at 13:21.

Looks interesting or better yet why don't I just get regular netbook for a cheaper price.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Looks interesting or better yet why don't I just get regular netbook for a cheaper price.
Because a netbook won't have the battery life that an ARM-backed device will (provided your power management doesn't suck.)

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Can't play transformers with a regular netbook.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Because a netbook won't have the battery life that an ARM-backed device will (provided your power management doesn't suck.)
My HP Mini 210 easily gets around 10 hours of battery. Other netbooks can even get 14 hours of battery. So I don't see how battery life can be an argument for the Smartbook. I do think this device would have been better with an Texas
Instruments OMAP4, Nvidia Tegra2, Marvell Armada 628, or Qualcomm Snapdragon QSD8660.

Always Innovating...never succeeding!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
My HP Mini 210 easily gets around 10 hours of battery. Other netbooks can even get 14 hours of battery. So I don't see how battery life can be an argument for the Smartbook.
How about if it does the same but weighting 900 grams instead of 1.4 kilograms because of the smaller battery ?
THAT would be an argument for me. The Toshiba AC100 does just that, unofrtunately it runs only Android ATM...

Tags
trollmaster, zero out of two