Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
As I've done with modest, I'm looking into adding portrait mode flags into most open source apps on Maemo 5.

This is based on the PR1.2 hildon-control-panel source.
Some applets don't work in portrait mode, such as the display one and the themes one (it kicks the window into landscape mode). most of the ones I use do.

You need to have rootsh and wget installed.

Code:
root
wget http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/maemo/debfiles/portrait/hildon-control-panel/hildon-control-panel_2.2.27-2+0m5_armel.deb
dpkg -i hildon-control-panel_2.2.27-2+0m5_armel.deb
To pin the package:
Code:
echo "Package: hildon-control-panel
Pin: release a=unstable 
Pin-Priority: 1001" >> /etc/apt/preferences
I really should make all these portrait patches into one thread...

The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ United Kingdom
Works well ! much appreciated

Great job MohammadAG, thanks!

Is it possible to fix the appearance of "Notification light" settings in portrait mode?
Attached Images

Sadly, that's closed source, so nope

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade
@MohammadAG
as i understood:
As I've done with modest, I'm looking into adding portrait mode flags into most open source apps on Maemo 5
can i ask you to do one simple thing: when you finish with moding all apps that you want, put all of your codes in one post (or wiki) so they could be easy to find (this way, i think there would be a several threads about portrait mode)

great work, anyhow!

p.s. would be a blast if you could do that with media player.... (i now it's closed... but... )

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Is the notification light a binary file?
We can make a replacement for it...

The Following User Says Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
CepiPerez - I was thinking about it, but as qwerty12 said back when he made his open source clone of the FMTX status menu applet, not all of the closed source blobs on the N900 are so easy to clone that you could easily replace it. That said, if you or someone else feel they can, more power to you, and that's certainly something I recommend aiming for.

MohammadAG: Any chance of seeing this in the official repos, instead of just as a download link? (Also, I can't seem to find wget in the repos? Do I have something set wrong? I have Axel [the command-line download-manager] installed. Could I just use that? If so, what additional complications would that bring? Would I have to specify a download path with axel and then a path to the file with dpkg -i?)

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Bluetooth, FM transmitter and everything else kicked back to landscape for me. May be I need a reboot.

It doesn't seem to be very complex to replace, in fact, it may be easier than the FMTX applet.
Apparently it only sets gconf boolean:true/false in
/system/osso/dsm/leds
~ $ gconftool-2 -R /system/osso/dsm/leds
PatternCommunicationEmail = true
PatternBatteryCharging = true
PatternCommunicationCall = true
PatternDeviceOn = true
PatternCommunicationSMS = true
PatternCommonNotification = true
PatternBatteryFull = true
PatternCommunicationIM = true

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
I mean no disrespect MohammadAG, as you have done many great things for this community... but I find this kinda pointless. I hate having to turn my phone portrait > landscape > portrait... I think either full portrait support or none is best.

(I did install it though! )

I think we'll be waiting till the end of time for Nokia to make the N900 fully support portrait..