Notices

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
And to balance matters out, Here and Now does succeed from my office. If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot--running a custom, log-generating script in both locations or whatnot--please let me know, Jaffa.
If you run /usr/bin/here-and-now from X Terminal, it logs some info. However, unless there's an area where it work on Symbian, but not on Maemo, the information won't be useful.

I'll let you know.

Brilliant little application. Thanks!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Just back from a 700 mile road trip in the Northeast of the US. On the way out I attempted to connect about every 10 miles. In this un-scientific study I was successful approximately 65% of the time. The failures may have also included times when I had insufficient or no cell signal. I was driving and could not check easily.

All and all I have to say this app is well worth keeping on board. However, as with all connection dependent services, it can not be relied upon 100% of the time.

Another note: At one location where I stopped for the day I received a "location could not be detected" when I arrived @ 6:30 PM. When I checked again @ 10 PM from the same location, the app found me.

This happen once again at another location during daylight hours but it also seemed to correspond to cell peak volume times. Later on during the long drive home I recalled some of the problems I had with the JAVA app I posted about earlier. It seemed that I would sometimes get a prefix or more characters than expected attached to the string returned by the CID call.

A few years later while in discussion with a carrier's network engineer I learned that the prefix, suffix, or extra characters I encountered in the Cell ID string may have been because additional, supplemental equipment was added to the cell site that the tower off loads volume to when all slots are full.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't get any movie listings. I'm in the Los Angeles area and I guess there are about 15 movies within long walking distance of where I live. I don't know what zip code they are in.

The selection of cafes seems odd. Do places pay a fee to be listed?

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't get any movie listings. I'm in the Los Angeles area and I guess there are about 15 movies within long walking distance of where I live. I don't know what zip code they are in.
I'm on the O2 network in the UK, I get the all of the Here-and-now information including the movie selection. But out of interest I tried it out with an old dead SIM from the Orange network, although the SIM regisrtation fails, the phone still knew which cell it was in and could give me a location fix and the Here-and-now database (through Wifi) could give me some info but not the movie listings.

So my assumption is that the server gets a little confused with certain cell IDs. One though I had, is that where I live the Orange signal used to be very good then out of the blue it died and Orange became useless to use, so I changed to O2, now having tried the old dead Orange SIM out I find the Orange signal to be much better so maybe it's a new transmitter and it's not fully regognized by the Nokia servers yet. Just a thought.

To get the Movies, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Event icon I found Movies in there!

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I've continued to try Here and Now from home occasionally, and one time, early this morning, the service actually succeeded in determining my location and pulling in data. Unsurprisingly, it had no events, movie theaters, or restaurants to report to me, but it did provide the weather.

Unfortunately, I hadn't run it from the command line, and it returned to the familiar "Location not detected" on subsequent attempts. I'll keep trying though, and eventually I may have success and failure logs to contrast.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post

To get the Movies, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Event icon I found Movies in there!
I got some concerts there. I get the weather and restaurants.

It's nice, though.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
The most of the time I get informations like restaurants, weather, cinema and so one. Really nice.

Only at work I got every time: "Location not detected"

In my opinion this is not a bug in Jaffa's port. I guess Nokias table with cell tower locations is simply not complete.
Perhaps someone could borrow me a N8 and I will compare it carefully.

Works Perfectly fine to me , a great port to the N900 ! , but i wonder if is this thing just more link a thing to link to this page which can detect your location or coordinates using the GPS or IP ? I expected it to be some kind of application.

And i encountered a problem while trying to click the phone or call icon of a particular restaurant .

It says : Unable to Open . Address type not supported. wtai://wp/mc;(thephonenumber)

thephonenumber - being the actual number i'm trying to call from that app.

Last edited by DaReaper; 2010-10-10 at 10:21.

Works perfectly in Oslo! Thanks for porting this

Tags
announcement, here and now, jaffa, location