Active Topics

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
So I have been doing speed tests on different sites an I keep getting different results. I always see my n900 switching from 2.5 to 3 and 3.5 and it got me thinking. Does tmobile only give you the speed you need to download the size of file that you are downloading? When I do the 1 MB tests speeds are low around 2500kbps. 7 MB on mobilespeedtest was at 8600 kbps and the 25 and 50 MB files both download between 12000kbps to 16000kbps at testmy.net.

What are your results? I am in tampa area in florida which is in the tmobile high speed list.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Try a different website like www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Those speed test sites are always inaccurate.

The switch between 2.5G and 3G has to do with your signal strength and 3G coverage where you are. 3.5G only happens when data is actively being transferred when you are already in 3G mode.

My best real life download speed on T-Mobile was over 600kbyte/sec on a 100MB file.

I only think those are accurate with slower connections.

The question is "Does T-Mobile have variable download speeds?"

Most speed test sites test 1 meg to 5 meg files. I am asking why would tmobile give you the full 21Mbit if you only need 2 or 3? It would slow their network down if everyone had full speed all of the time. Doesn't it make sense for a mobile provider to have variable speeds like that?

One thing I notice is testmy.net has a variable test. It tests each filesize untill something takes longer than 7 seconds to download. the 4MB and 6MB tests take the same amount of time to download. the 12MB test bumps my speed up to 10-12Mbit. The 25MB and 50MB files give me results between 14Mbit and 17Mbit EVERY time.

Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by weirdbeard View Post
I only think those are accurate with slower connections.

The question is "Does T-Mobile have variable download speeds?"

Most speed test sites test 1 meg to 5 meg files. I am asking why would tmobile give you the full 21Mbit if you only need 2 or 3? It would slow their network down if everyone had full speed all of the time. Doesn't it make sense for a mobile provider to have variable speeds like that?

One thing I notice is testmy.net has a variable test. It tests each filesize untill something takes longer than 7 seconds to download. the 4MB and 6MB tests take the same amount of time to download. the 12MB test bumps my speed up to 10-12Mbit. The 25MB and 50MB files give me results between 14Mbit and 17Mbit EVERY time.

Anyone else notice this?
it is not possible to get more fater than 10mbps on N900 becuase the hardware is only capable of 10.2mbps down and 2 mbps up in 3G connection, so that tells all the website you are checking your speed is bogus.

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
it is not possible to get more fater than 10mbps on N900 becuase the hardware is only capable of 10.2mbps down and 2 mbps up in 3G connection, so that tells all the website you are checking your speed is bogus.
That is what I thought, but the lower speed tests using the automatic tester are accurate. I have downloaded at 450KB a sec before and that is inside at work. (only wifi that is available is for internal wifi phones and has no internet.)