Originally Posted by slender View Post
I donīt get you? Are you trying to say that to people who are able to customize their device and run same scripts and apps as on their desktop linuxes the maemo is failure?
In the end yes: you should focus your flagship devices on end users, not on developers.

Doing that with N900 was a big waste of time, seriously how many developers have joined and has substantially added killer software to the N900 library? Let me rephrase that: how many small developers have sprouted and started making a living off of developing for Maemo?

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Funny that you mention the tonnes of Nokia business professionals in this thread about Jaaksi.
You do realize that Jaaksi is an engineer? PhD in software engineering, not management or something.
I wasn't talking about Jaaksi himself, I just quoted the guy who brought up business professionals.

However you feel about Symbian, it still is the most used smartphone OS in the world and Nokia makes a lot (most?) of her money selling Symbian phones. So the decision to use Symbian isn't that bad from a economical point of view.
Moot point, of course it has the biggest marketshare. heck I still have a N95 8GB which works lying around somewhere in my room. Not everyone goes out and buys a new phone every two years, Elders and/or nontech people might even be satisfied with a $10 phone that calls, same goes for all the third world markets which are keeping Nokia's marketshare up.

Mainstream users might still be content with their old phones, but when they do upgrade they usually want a better phone.
Techies and enthusiasts want the best hardware and software or you can GTFO. There was a time the best hardware meant the best phone: that was back in 2005.

Most people I have met loved Android (since 1.6) and iOS on first sight. iPhones are pretty expensive though, but Android has something for everyone at extremely reasonable prices. This is why Android is currently dominating all markets.

Symbian straight out fails here. Maemo itself is a bit beta, but still nice. However it has practically no refined app system with killer apps. No app store or killer apps = no market traction = no developers on board = no killer apps, rinse and repeat.

Some former Nokia employees told a newspaper that they think Nokias biggest problem is that hardware comes first. This mentality can negatively impact software and services development.
Indeed.

It may not be fair to point at the ovi team as the problem if a ovi service fails to deliver a good user experience, because it is very much linked to aspects of the Symbian OS and the used hardware.
For example: If the phone has little RAM that affects the user experience of the OS and as a consequence also of the Ovi applications.
I should have made it more clear I was talking more about Maemo Ovi Store, but agreed here too,

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
There is really only one reason MeeGo might do any good:
-Intel
If you think Intel can be successful in anything outside of their core competency of shafting AMD then I'll have some of what you're smoking.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
In the end yes: you should focus your flagship devices on end users, not on developers.

Doing that with N900 was a big waste of time, seriously how many developers have joined and has substantially added killer software to the N900 library? Let me rephrase that: how many small developers have sprouted and started making a living off of developing for Maemo?
there is this phrase called "you didn't do enough research" and what you just did was admitting that you didn't do any.

second thing, N900 wasn't the flagship, N97 was....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

[QUOTE=PradaBrada;834288]

Symbian straight out fails here. Maemo itself is a bit beta, but still nice. However it has practically no refined app system with killer apps. No app store or killer apps = no market traction = no developers on board = no killer apps, rinse and repeat.

QUOTE]

Allow me to doubt your premise here. What exactly do you understand by 'refined app system with killer apps'? Most of the apps frequently downloaded for iOS and Android provide basic functionality already on board Symbian devices. Other not-so-needed apps like Angry Birds (or is this an essential?) exist for Symbian as well. Maemo has so far only one device and it's a niche product, but MeeGo should have even better variety in apps when it comes out.

Am I correct in thinking that you prefer a bare-bone OS with little out of the box functionality over something that offers you all the essentials right from the start?

Oh and please, give me some examples of 'killer apps'. I can't really think of any.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Please choose your words wisely then. In the end devels and users who are able to customize and do magic with n900 do not care so much. My point was that to these people Maemo surely is not failure as you falsely tried to generally say. How many times has it been said that N900 is mostly for devels and people who like to live on "edge" (you can make humor out of that as usual)? For example I would never ever use this for doing business. For that I use bare bones phone with standby time of at least week and OS that is mature.

Flagship? Any references for that?

ps.
Why you like to keep your style of writing on provocative & flaming side? Ever thought taking it back couple of notches to more thoughtful and analytical?

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-06 at 05:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=saldas;834427]

QUOTE]

Allow me to doubt your premise here. What exactly do you understand by 'refined app system with killer apps'? Most of the apps frequently downloaded for iOS and Android provide basic functionality already on board Symbian devices. Other not-so-needed apps like Angry Birds (or is this an essential?) exist for Symbian as well. Maemo has so far only one device and it's a niche product, but MeeGo should have even better variety in apps when it comes out.

Am I correct in thinking that you prefer a bare-bone OS with little out of the box functionality over something that offers you all the essentials right from the start?

Oh and please, give me some examples of 'killer apps'. I can't really think of any.
You Nokia fanboys are so clueless. You know what would be a "killer app" a media player on my $400+ N900 that doesn't mix up my album art and remembers the playback position of my podcasts. Every time I open the Maps app and do a search, I inevitably get results for Nebraska or New Jersey (I live in NYC btw). How about that for a killer app?

And you want to talk about "out of the box functionality"? How about about having a desktop program that allows me to sync my info with my N900 easily. It's been almost a full year since the N900 was released, and there still isn't a shred of solid support via Ovi Suite or PC Suite.

So pipe down with your arrogant "my device can do anything yours can do and better" because it just isn't true.

The difference between an N900 running Maemo and a device running iOS or Android is that, with the N900, you absolutely HAVE to hack/install programs to bring it up to a proper level of functionality, whereas with iOS or Android, you hack/install programs just for fun.

As for Meego, if Nokia follows the same support path as it has with Maemo, it will fail. Maybe then they'll be smart and move to Android.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ari Jaaksi leaves, the WeTab marketing director Helmut Hoffer gets caught making fake 5 star Amazon reviews... there's a lot of drama around MeeGo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=techngro;834439]
Originally Posted by saldas View Post

You Nokia fanboys are so clueless. You know what would be a "killer app" a media player on my $400+ N900 that doesn't mix up my album art and remembers the playback position of my podcasts. Every time I open the Maps app and do a search, I inevitably get results for Nebraska or New Jersey (I live in NYC btw). How about that for a killer app?

And you want to talk about "out of the box functionality"? How about about having a desktop program that allows me to sync my info with my N900 easily. It's been almost a full year since the N900 was released, and there still isn't a shred of solid support via Ovi Suite or PC Suite.

So pipe down with your arrogant "my device can do anything yours can do and better" because it just isn't true.

The difference between an N900 running Maemo and a device running iOS or Android is that, with the N900, you absolutely HAVE to hack/install programs to bring it up to a proper level of functionality, whereas with iOS or Android, you hack/install programs just for fun.

As for Meego, if Nokia follows the same support path as it has with Maemo, it will fail. Maybe then they'll be smart and move to Android.
I sense a lot of anger in you, young padawan..
On a serious note, I specifically mentioned Maemo as a niche device. Capiche? You cannot expect the same level of support and development for it as Symbian does. Now, do I hear any killer app proposition for Symbian? Because this is specifically what I asked for. It's so funny to be taken out of context. You are no less a hater than I am a fanboy.

Last edited by saldas; 2010-10-06 at 06:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
This is almost worst thread ever...

People leave companies when they get bored, that's all folks.
Nokia failed in many issues lately, the main is - their share in world's mobile market is halved, but that's logical. They have new, big and powerful competitors.

They shouldn't have abandoned their only platform that can compete - maemo, but they did it and they failed big time. They're trying to compensate with Meego, but that OS should have been released yesterday if they want to get rid off rumors, gossips, ceo-leavings etc.

They will fail more if they carry on with this tempo, because more and more people are attracted with competitors products (google and apple), because they lack of (our second problem) marketing.

I really don't know what's going on up there (in Finland), but if they don't hurry, people will remember the country as Santa Klaus homeland, not Nokia homeland...

Sad to see Jaaksi leaving Nokia. I hope he will get a chance to bid farewell to us on his blog.... maybe he can talk about PR1.3 : p

Tags
suomiexitnok