Originally Posted by shady View Post
about the FAT32 thing ... i dont get why SDXC couldnt be supported. up to 2TB per partition .. is it purely linux, cuz it doesnt seem like its a table allocation problem.
The "official" file system for SDXC is exFAT, which Microsoft wrote without any hint of data security and riddled with software patents. At this rate there will likely never be an exFAT driver integrated into the kernel and MS is being extremely controlling regarding the specs and who can make and use exFAT drivers.

Basically MS got the SD consortium to pull a fast one on every non-Windows user, and now Linux is a second-rate OS in the world of mobile memory cards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
If N9 is still a cortext A8 and 512MB ram then I will pass

I'm not going to buy a device that soon will be outdated since A9 is ready to be in the production line already. So i'll wait.. May be Intel MeeGo instead of Nokia MeeNO..

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by shady View Post
[....]
about the FAT32 thing ... i dont get why SDXC couldnt be supported. up to 2TB per partition .. is it purely linux, cuz it doesnt seem like its a table allocation problem.
Antilles already explained this.

SDXC opted for Microsoft's proprietary ExFAT as default filesystem, so devices with which you can use a SDXC card have to support r/w support for ExFAT. Only then do they support the SDXC standard.

Hence, if you just keep your card inside your 'N9' and its formatted say Ext3FS nothing is wrong. If you stick the card in your Linux laptop it will also work. But when you stick it in anything else (a digital camera, a Windows machine, a Mac machine) it won't work since these devices cannot read/write Ext3FS.

Theres some hope here 'n there tho

Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (both x86 and x64) users can add support for exFAT by installing an update from Microsoft.[1] An experimental, open source Linux kernel module that supports the reading of exFAT files is currently under development.[5] A FUSE-based full-featured implementation is currently in beta status.[6] A proprietary, read/write solution, licensed and derived from the Microsoft exFAT implementation, is available for Android, Linux and other operating systems from Tuxera.[7] A proprietary, full-featured implementation—XCFiles—is available from Datalight.[8] A third party open source driver is available for DOS.[9]
(Source)

Unfortunately a lousy solution since it all won't work by default which equals to the consumer won't eat our dogfood but will eat Microsoft's proprietary ExFAT crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
i would be satisfied with N900*2..
And then the 32GB flash mem doesnt have to follow the *2 rule... ( i am fine with 32GB on board with a SDHC, SDXC would be nice but i guess that exFat problem will not help..)

so,
dual core,
512MB ram (i think that would work fine for me looking to my current ram usage, 256 is just to little)
512MB rootfs instead of that 256MB but 1.3 did fix most of the problems for me in this area, but the larger this area is the faster the phone because this is the fastest flash there is on the N900..

But dual core is for me a must, the N900 is sometimes just to slow because i do multiply things at the same time... Don't think i will buy the N9 if it is still a A8 on 1Ghz, that wont be much faster then my N900 on 900Mhz.... (or the ram must do a lot)

Nokia wouldn't use the same A8 on the N9... They must've learn how mad and disappointed we were back in the days with the N97, they should know we will be enraged if they repeat the same mistake... The N9 is MEANT to go with the A9... Listen Up Nokia!

And also, for the Rootfs storage, I know Nokia must've been very involved within the Brainstorming idea around it, they know we need way more than 256mb

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Nokia wouldn't use the same A8 on the N9... They must've learn how mad and disappointed we were back in the days with the N97, they should know we will be enraged if they repeat the same mistake... The N9 is MEANT to go with the A9... Listen Up Nokia!

And also, for the Rootfs storage, I know Nokia must've been very involved within the Brainstorming idea around it, they know we need way more than 256mb
Well it for sure isn't the same A8 core. Probably OMAP36xx.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Just wait for 4-5 years and your dream will come true.I can still remember my 486 processor....technology is advancing fast

Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
my dream :

1.2Ghz A9 dual core processor, or even Morrestone, or (let be fool) quad core A15 at 2.0 ghz
1 ou 2Gb real RAM (not 256 mb + swap)
SGX450 graphics
64gb internal memory
microCD slot supporting new XDHC card (up to 128 GB !!)
MeeGo tweaked by nokia (with nokia tools : ovi...)
4.1" Resisitive but multitouch screen (like Stantum one) in 1280x720x32bit CBD
bluetooth 4.0
open GL 4.1
3G, 3G+ and 4G
Wifi N
IR (for some good remote control apps)
frontal 2mp webcam
rear full HD camera (at least 8MPx)
full QWERTY keyboard witt spaced keys (as on proto)
no button or holes on the face, a full black flat surface
alu casing, or baby skin (you know, this soft plastic, like on 5800's rear)
dolby surrond speakers
micro hdmi, micro usb (with charging, host, and OTG), and Jack 3.5
quick access physical keys for power, +/- and camera
a cache for the rear camera with auto on function
xenon flash + led one for some cases (like prolunged video taking or even torch app)
double sim support
removable 4000Mah lithium ion battery
design alliance between N9 proto and second nokia U project draft (http://www.journal-du-mobile.com/wp-...ty-nokia-2.jpg) because i like the design and the speakers holes with usb dissimulated in.

EDIT: and i forgotten : gorilla glass screen, to be scratch proof and not need an ugly screen protection

PLEASE DO IT NOKIA, i would even pay 800$ for it if it exists...

Most of stutter during multitasking is due to IO not CPU, so you definitely want more ram before dual core cpu for multitasking..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Why is everybody ignoring my dream of releasing the Nokia Morph...

But still for some reason, I tend to think the N9 won't see the day of light with the A9 inside... It is still too recent. For exemple:
OMAP4440 - 1+ GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore + PowerVR SGX540 GPU + C64x+ DSP + ISP
There is no public need for all that power just yet...
"The board itself measures 4.0 x 4.5 inches and includes not only the dual-core OMAP4 chip but 1GB of RAM and a plethora of connectivity. There’s WiFi and Bluetooth, HDMI capable of 1080p HD video, DVI, 10/100 ethernet and USB 2.0 (two Host, one OTG); you also get an SD/MMC memory card slot, serial port and audio in/out, along with various other expansion connectors."
I think the N9 would be nice enough AT LEAST with:
OMAP3640 - 1 GHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX530 GPU + 430 MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP
What do you guys think?