Active Topics

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
Ever since 'the Great Merge' , Nokia fails to deliver anything. It's not just about Maemo, it's about ARM and at last - Intel, which rules this merge, and everything about Nokia plans.

As far as I remember, and it was just about one whole year ago, we were promised something else lately in 2010! (where is this guy btw. ?)

Since then, lots of things changed, not for good. Neither for Nokia, nor for us - the community. They left us in waiting room, not telling a word about our future. We heard rumors by putting our ear to their doors. Occasionally, doors opens, ceo's leaves. We wait...

I blame Intel for all of this, but also Nokia's incompetence to deal with problems such as loosing the market share.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
As far as I remember, and it was just about one whole year ago, we were promised something else lately in 2010!
So do you have information that any of the plans announced back then have changed meanwhile?

All we've heard since 2009 is "Harmattan's on track, it's only being renamed". (I'm not buying that one, either, because I assume some changes needed to be made to Harmattan so that it would align with MeeGo... But then, they would have had changed over a year anyway, no matter why.)

And they keep saying it.

If you have information about anything from the slides you linked to not being valid any longer, please share with us.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Dont want "magic" presentaions. That's emarrassing - like watching a home shopping channel.
Don't want "bling" - useless. That's for teenage girls.
Don't wanna be stabbed... but above all: don't wanna be enchained, either.

Both Ari Jaaksi and Anssi Vanjoki were extraordinarily trustworthy because of how they communicated. No magic, no bling, just say what you need to say and leave the stage. When one of them said "I think this device is quite OK. Not bad.", I knew I needed to buy it now. When some of the "North American" executives talk about "magic", "innovation", "absolute beauty", "<non-existant word> display",... my immediate reaction is: "Hey, what's he trying to hide? This is just a kitchen knife, why should it cut tomatoes better than others?" I don't trust such people and I don't buy from them. In fact, I've learned they never deliver. They need such embarrassing wording because there's nothing else they have to offer.

My great fear is that once people like Ari and Anssi are gone, the cheap marketeers will fill their places and we'll never see a serious, long.term strategy from Nokia again... nor brilliant devices. It'll just be average, like the rest of the market.
You said it, this is exactly how I feel too. The 'oldschool' Finns were very trustworthy no-nonsense people. They delivered what they promised, sometimes a bit late, but they did it all the same.

And the devices they created (with the help of others, of course) were excellent and stood out in their own right. I'd hate to see a 'mainstreaming' of Nokia phones to the point where it'll be just another HTC or Samsung clone. I'd rather have a 'clunky' Symbian or a 'badly supported' Maemo/MeeGo with the excellent hardware and camera, reliable devices which withstand time and wear.

For me, and many others, there is nothing Symbian and Maemo don't have that Android or WP7 could offer. They don't suit everyone, I'm aware, but I feel that it's mainly the American media and American market that are dissatisfied with the OS's. I don't see much of the rest of the world complaining. Judging from the latest American media hate campaign against the N8, it seems that someone on the other side of the Atlantic feels mighty threatened. I wonder why? By a 'dead' OS with 'outdated' features? I think not.

For the majority of the world phone market, Symbian is what they are used to and grew up with. Android may make a dent into the numbers, but then again Android also does not suit everyone, certainly not myself and many other people I know.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saldas For This Useful Post:
So do you have information that any of the plans announced back then have changed meanwhile?

All we've heard since 2009 is "Harmattan's on track, it's only being renamed". (I'm not buying that one, either, because I assume some changes needed to be made to Harmattan so that it would align with MeeGo... But then, they would have had changed over a year anyway, no matter why.)

And they keep saying it.

If you have information about anything from the slides you linked to not being valid any longer, please share with us.
We will see in the next 3 months. If we will be able to buy a Nokia device with the Harmattan software this year and the software is ready for the mass-market-average-consumer, than Harmattan was "on track".
As far as I know Harmattan isn't developed as open as MeeGo, so we just don't know the state of it. The MeeGo software that you can put on your N900 is NOT the Harmattan software that should be released on the next Nokia Maemo/MeeGo device.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
wait a minute... 17.5 mio downloads a week for a store that serves almost all nokia phones (S40, S60, Symbian^3, N900) and features sophisticated commercial software vs. 1-1.5 mio downloads a week for the maemo community repos?

is it only me who feels that - seeing these 2 figures - the ovi store download numbers aren't all that impressive? (or the other way round: the community repos are even more successful than i'd have ever thought?)
consider ovi store only comes pre-installed on newer devices the numbers are quite good, just b/c its available for almost all devices that don't mean all have it on the phone.

how many of maemo.org downloads are updates and repeat downloads from people reinstalling?
I'd say a good 50% if not more.
if you install meego touch widgets thats 5 downloads a week by each single person just b/c of the update rate. you see how obscuring maemo numbers are?
most of the figures are not people discovering new apps its people updating and reinstalling so maemo.org downloads are not as good as they seem to be.
don't let numbers of maemo repos fool you b/c you'd be lucky if 250k are real downloads

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-10-06 at 15:27.

[QUOTE=saldas;834459]
Originally Posted by techngro View Post

I sense a lot of anger in you, young padawan..
On a serious note, I specifically mentioned Maemo as a niche device. Capiche? You cannot expect the same level of support and development for it as Symbian does. Now, do I hear any killer app proposition for Symbian? Because this is specifically what I asked for. It's so funny to be taken out of context. You are no less a hater than I am a fanboy.
Dude, as Barack Obama once said, you just don't get it.

You are talking about killer apps, i'm just talking about BASIC functionality. I was being sarcastic.

I love people who say "Well, my Nokia device is so much better than [insert] because I can remote control my home from 100 miles away". But who gives a **** that you can do that when the simple maps app can't tell NYC from Saskatchewan?

Forget the "killer app". First try making apps that provide basic functionality properly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techngro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by techngro

Dude, as Barack Obama once said, you just don't get it.

You are talking about killer apps, i'm just talking about BASIC functionality. I was being sarcastic.

I love people who say "Well, my Nokia device is so much better than [insert] because I can remote control my home from 100 miles away". But who gives a **** that you can do that when the simple maps app can't tell NYC from Saskatchewan?

Forget the "killer app". First try making apps that provide basic functionality properly.
Never had that problem but probably people who do not need proper routing app on their N900 do not care. Also has it come to your bright mind that people tend have different levels of priorities for functionalities. So, yes some people give shait.

Also IMO you just donīt get it. Some people here do not care at all how you or this being called "end user" uses their device.

A:Worksforme
B:Not for me and because of that you should listen me!
A:What?
B:This and that and this here should be done this way
A:But I don't need or use features what you would like to have and I use this solely for purpose x y and z.
B:Butbutbut other devices in this price class do that kind of stuff easily.
A:So why donīt you buy those devices?
B: (Broken record mode enabled ad infinitum and Nokia apologizer card to table and instant "win" of argument)

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by longcat View Post
This is almost worst thread ever...

People leave companies when they get bored, that's all folks.
Nokia failed in many issues lately, the main is - their share in world's mobile market is halved, but that's logical. They have new, big and powerful competitors.

They shouldn't have abandoned their only platform that can compete - maemo, but they did it and they failed big time. They're trying to compensate with Meego, but that OS should have been released yesterday if they want to get rid off rumors, gossips, ceo-leavings etc.

They will fail more if they carry on with this tempo, because more and more people are attracted with competitors products (google and apple), because they lack of (our second problem) marketing.

I really don't know what's going on up there (in Finland), but if they don't hurry, people will remember the country as Santa Klaus homeland, not Nokia homeland...
I dont Agree about Maemo cause it is not fully true that they have abandoned Maemo they just dropped GTK+ and its UI and that was the best they could do cause no developer today want to code in C. Gtk+ has also dependies hell and alot of quickhacks in embedded Nokia version. Replacing it with QT is a good thing and thats where Nokias Meego branded version comes in.

But I have to agree, Nokia must hurry now and succes with Meego Harmattan version.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
We will see in the next 3 months. If we will be able to buy a Nokia device with the Harmattan software this year and the software is ready for the mass-market-average-consumer, than Harmattan was "on track".
As far as I know Harmattan isn't developed as open as MeeGo, so we just don't know the state of it. The MeeGo software that you can put on your N900 is NOT the Harmattan software that should be released on the next Nokia Maemo/MeeGo device.
Announce yes, but release no. Just check Meego mailing list and you will see some components is already later than expected.

if they release it this year it will have ALOT of non working stuff. Backends for QTMobility is not fully supported yeat and feature freeze is soon here. (as an example)

I dont want to be negative but realistic. Dont expect a release this year and get angry later when they dont release in time. However if Nokia was smart they got more engineers working on Meego instead of S^4 :-D

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-10-06 at 17:47.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Announce yes, but release no. Just check Meego mailing list and you will see some components is already later than expected.

if they release it this year it will have ALOT of non working stuff. Backends for QTMobility is not fully supported yeat and feature freeze is soon here. (as an example)

I dont want to be negative but realistic. Dont expect a release this year and get angry later when they dont release in time. However if Nokia was smart they got more engineers working on Meego instead of S^4 :-D
As I understand it, Harmattan doesn't use a Meego base, but a Maemo base. It will have a Meego compatible SDK. Therefore, Harmattan as a platform is the end of the line.

Interestingly, as Nokia have so far used an alphabetic increment in their OS/platform version names, i.e. Diablo, Elephanta (a no show), Fremantle, Gsomething (also a no show) and Harmattan, the first proper Nokia Meego release should begin with an i. What's the betting that will have an Intel chipset in it?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Tags
suomiexitnok