Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
OS - no one really cares except geeks. That's a fact. I don't care either, as long as it is Symbian or Maemo/MeeGo
Ironic statement.. being ironic.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
...and when the harvest moon coincides with the autumnal equinox it must mean...the MagicCap OS for the N9!!!

I've followed Mr. Jaaksi's blog for a long time, perhaps since the 770. A straight-shooter, I liked that. In a video interview given prior to the launch of the N900, he was very clear that this wasn't as much a phone as one might expect from Nokia - but it was an impressive computer.

I have found it so. But I've also found its phone functionality meets my needs. And its plug-in architecture for phone, conversations, et al has spoiled me for any device that doesn't have similar flexibility.

Fare you well, Mr. Jaaksi. You leave behind at Nokia an impressive legacy.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I still think that the timing and exodus of the most public and straight-shooting individuals from Nokia will leave a vacuum that only the top-notch individuals can fill.

Marketing MeeGo will be easier than marketing the new people in positions that were quite visible.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Nokia should just license all the license-able OS (android, wp7, webos?) and put Qt frameworks on top of them, making Ovi the sole mobile app platform that works on all the major mobile OS
Unfortunately, it is impossible to do so, at least it would cause troubles on Android and on WP7 for sure, because those are meant to run managed code applications (although Android can have native libraries now), while Qt is all native code.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Unfortunately, it is impossible to do so, at least it would cause troubles on Android and on WP7 for sure, because those are meant to run managed code applications (although Android can have native libraries now), while Qt is all native code.
hmm...

well the point was to put a unifying layer on top of the polarizing element (OS choice), which essentially what Nokia is trying to do with Qt on top of symbian and meego in the first place.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
hmm...

well the point was to put a unifying layer on top of the polarizing element (OS choice), which essentially what Nokia is trying to do with Qt on top of symbian and meego in the first place.
I got an idea. Why not use a linux kernel at the bottom, and a really fast runtime environment on top, for instance some sort of Java. This will be unified for apps even at a binary level, across versions and hardware and possibly also OS Symbian apps could run Linux apps

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
I got an idea. Why not use a linux kernel at the bottom, and a really fast runtime environment on top, for instance some sort of Java.

Like say..... Android I think they beat you 2 it...

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
@bsving LOL sarcasm is not for everyone it seems
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
You've missed the point.

With this 'move' Ovi store can sell a license of an app and you're free to download whichever binary version is appropriate to your particular OS.

You've purchased Angryman now and you love it so much, yet you need to move to Symbian or Android or WP7 due to your workplace? Go right ahead, purchase the damn traitorous phone, login to Ovi and grab the correct binary for your phone and have a laugh at Angryman on your brand new, brand 'xxx' phone.

The OS (in relation to app compatibility) is marginalized.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
hmm...

That would be the point, however Microsoft would definitely not allow you to do that (as it would permit you to move between platforms) and doing it on Android would be redundant, since any Android-only apps would leave the user stuck.

With Symbian, at least, they're not targeting the same hardware tier that Android and WP7 are.

Tags
suomiexitnok