Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by slender View Post
James_Littler
Yes broken things are fixed of course but I was trying to say that enhanctment request regarding UI seem to be pretty low on priority list.
But surely the whole idea is to fix the pre-existing bugs..expecting any more than that is frankly, quite unrealistic.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
expecting any more than that is frankly, quite unrealistic.
why?

I'm pretty sure there will be a maps update.
(I got some info from a supplier whose tech is used in maps)

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by petur View Post
why?

I'm pretty sure there will be a maps update.
(I got some info from a supplier whose tech is used in maps)
Care to provide us with your source?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@Faustino

I do not know how many times this has been said but UI of maemo 5 is regarded as STABLE according to Nokia (if you want link I can search. Have seen statement couple of times in bugzilla). Any changes you are going to see are only to modules that are open source and which community is able to change. For example hildon-desktop.

.edit
And to those who are still having doubt about firmware releases. As we currently know the 1.3 is coming and also I have lately seen couple of bug comments from bugmaster that indicate that not all bug fixes arrive to 1.3 but they are fixed in internal releases. SO that makes you wonder about future
I don't doubt that they do regard the UI as stable, for the most part it is. But i somehow doubt I am the only one who has received a call while having a few apps running and found the phone function to be unresponsive?

I understand that the N900 is considered a mobile computer (which can also make calls) however, if they can't get that feature 100% right for Maemo after two firmware updates, it's not looking totally positive for MeeGo whenever it finally comes out.

Although maybe these newer phones will have much more power to cope with the processing strain of a call coming in

The Following User Says Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
I don't doubt that they do regard the UI as stable, for the most part it is. But i somehow doubt I am the only one who has received a call while having a few apps running and found the phone function to be unresponsive?

I understand that the N900 is considered a mobile computer (which can also make calls) however, if they can't get that feature 100% right for Maemo after two firmware updates, it's not looking totally positive for MeeGo whenever it finally comes out.

Although maybe these newer phones will have much more power to cope with the processing strain of a call coming in
Actually the phone function on mine has been rock solid.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
if it looks bad for meego and meego wouldn't succeed, it's not a problem for them to make a new OS and than another one and so on

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
if it looks bad for meego and meego wouldn't succeed, it's not a problem for them to make a new OS and than another one and so on
Yeah i think they will keep making OSes.
Symbian -> Symbian S60 -> Symbian S60v1->Symbian S60v2 ->Symbian S60v3 FP1->FP2->S60v5->Symbian3-> Y

None of symbian devices support newer firmware OS version

-Maemo1->Maeemo2->Maemo3->4->Maemo5->(Maemo6) ->MeeGo -> X

770 lasted 2years with OS updated to Maemo3
N800 lasted 1year nearly two years upto maemo4
N810 lasted 1year and half and Maemo4
N900 lasted X-months/year Maemo5 (Alternative NITdroid, Unofficial MeeGo support)

So what will happened to N9? No one know.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Care to provide us with your source?
not really no, want to keep my employment a bit...

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
I am pretty sure n9 with maemo will be the device, the os, that will last longer than other did. And it won't be only n9 which will have new Meego but at least one more(I can expect two more but not more than that) device with meego will be released in 2011. Those who got n900 are kind of left behind but that won't happen to n9 and commercial developers will be interested in n9 as well as other meego devices as well. I just hope they would give another 50000 reasons to develop app for n9. But its totally my own opinion, and I may turn out to be wrong later on.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Okey so we are talking different things then. Itīs well known that next PR should fix some issues with phone app (glitch with rotating? or with app waking up) for people who prefer using it in portrait mode. I thought that you believed that there will be "face-lifts" in UI.

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-08 at 13:09.

Tags
bigbadidiot, chucknorris, jesus wept, mustread, paradise, umopapisdn