Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ QLD Australia
Did happen to me too last Monday, no charging no connection anymore. Send it back to place of purchase, they send it to repair service, who then send it to Nokia. No news yet after 8 days without my phone. I keep you posted.
I am thinking of buying a second one so I can swap between them when in repair. Does anybody know if problem is resolved in newer n900?
QLD Australia

Literally just happened to me over the weekend. Was using my n900 as normal and plugged it in to charge and no joy. Windows wouldn't detect it either as a device, kept saying it was malfunctioning.

Back to the carphonewarehouse for repair and just got word from them today that they have sent it off to Nokia for repair under warranty. Its back to the n95 for me, weird using it again after getting used to the touchscreen and general speed of the n900.

long time lurker, first time poster btw!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Happened to my girlfriend's N900 a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, her charger got damaged as well so we sent both the phone and the charger to a repair centre via UPS pickup service, arranged by Nokia. We received back a brand new phone and charger in a week and I have to say that I am totally impressed with the way Nokia handled our case. Cheers

So, I read this thread, start to finish, yesterday. My reading of this, well, voluminous thread might be defective, but as far as I can tell, we're not at this point sure whether Nokia has addressed the design or manufacturing issue that is causing the detached USB ports, and visually there seems to be no change in more newly made N900s. Have I read correctly (and apologies if I haven't)?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I think you have read correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Has anyone in the US sent in their n900 to the Nokia center in Alabama and received a new device since September 15th? My repair has been stuck in status "Awaiting replacement device" since then and when I talked to Nokia they said that the replacements are out of stock (which I think has also been mentioned on these forums) but that they should be shipping around this week. Just curious if I need to chase them more.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Any ways to know which are the batch of affected devices??

I sent mine not to Alabama but to Nokia's Brightpoint center, which is in Indiana, on Sept 4 (they received it the 9th). I sent it ithe first 15 days after having bought it, as an exchange, which I think is why they sent it to Indiana. Nokia has not been able to tell me what's happening with it, but I suspected supply issues. Glad you were able to get a somewhat informative answer, anyhow.

I'm really dissapointed in Nokia, I sent my phone off for repair, as the charger is broken, and they sent it back, with nothing but a piece of paper saying the warranty is void due to water damage..... (wtf!?!)
My N900 hasn't seen water in its life, I look after it as if it were made of egg shells.
Now I have no idea how to get it fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
hello !

i get my n900 in december 2009 and yesterday at night i've plugged it as usual to charge it.
this morning i wanted to look at him to see my appointments and, WTF!, it was off !! (after a night charging!)
i tried to turn it on but its doesnt
so i tried to replug it, wondering about some plugin problem, and it appeared that usb port is broken since connection is intermittent, i have to push i carefully and play a lot with the socket to get it charging, and at the first touch, it stops charging....

thats too bad
i think i will return it back to repair, but i really hope they will not make me pay for this, and that it will be back soon, because i can't live without, since all my alarms, appointments and contacts are in !

if only i could repair it myself....

that ruined my day, my week and my life...

hoping that the n9 will be out very soon, to replace that fun but poorly designed device

(n9 one seems to be more robust, at least i'm trying to believe that: http://www.lejournaldusmartphone.fr/...nokia_n9_2.jpg)

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty