Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
johnkzin,

if you are not desperate for a qwerty keypad and can live without GPS, stick to N800 and be happy.
I actually DO want the keyboard. I'm just not happy about some of the particulars in this design. But, we'll see what the next model is like.

At this point I think it's pretty safe to say that the N810 is an alternative configuration to the N800, not a replacement and not an upgrade (the small CPU frequency increase is probably just circumstantial because the N810 is produced later, and I suspect it's possible to overclock the N800 anyway - that was always an option for Palm ARM devices). Most of the other features of the N810 are in the software, which will come to the N800 too.

So:
Code:
- The N810 comes with a keyboard, and it is also slightly smaller.
   - This leads to less available space, which forced some of the
      other design issues (lose one card slot, micro-USB, mini SD), as
      was explained by David from Nokia over at Ari's blog.
   - The keyboard most probably increased the cost.
- The N810 comes with navigation software/maps pre-installed
   - Thus, a dedicated additional internal flash area (2GB) was added,
      primarily for the maps but the user can access the rest of it for
      own purposes.
   - Navigation and maps aren't free either, so would also be part of
     a cost increase.
- It has a buit-in GPS.
If the keyboard and/or the pre-installed navigation aren't what you're looking for then the N800 might be a better choice, particularly if you're keen on 2 full-size SDHC slots. In any case, GPS and navigation can still be added to the N800.

Lastly, it should be possible for Nokia to, at some stage, come up with a true upgrade to the N800 (keeping N800-features like 2 full-sized SD slots), which could be much less expensive than the N810 because of not having a built-in sliding keyboard or on-board commercial navigation software.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
If they had done an IT whose only difference from the N800 was the sliding keyboard, then I'd have been happy.

That means:

1) same size as the N800, except maybe the "thin" part of the N800's thickness might be even as thick as the bulge

2) same button placements as the N800 (they wouldn't have to have moved things around the way various people suggested; would have been nice, but the point I'm making is: all of the buttons that the N800 puts on the face should have stayed on the face)

3) 2 full size SD slots

4) I'm agnostic about the GPS feature. Could have added it, could have left it off.

Bonuses like more RAM would have been just fine, and shouldn't have noticeably increased the size of the thing. Increasing the price due to increasing the capacity of the included data card to 2GB would have been fine.

But, just doing the above would have been perfectly ok with me. Doing what they've done has enough "down sides" that I don't know if I want to buy it or not. So, I will most likely wait for the next gen device. Or, since they've said there's going to be 5 steps, maybe I'll wait to see what step 5 looks like.

They may have actually wanted this situation: people wondering which one to get, as they are alternatives rather than a "device >> replacement" succession.

After all, N800 production lines, supply chains etc. etc. were significant investments on their own right, but at this point could be viewed as "sunk costs". Therefore, it makes perfect sense for Nokia from a business point of view to be able to continue to capitalize that investment and sunk cost, by having many people that do not want the N810 extra features to continue buying it. Perhaps some people will see the N810 and go "hmm, that's pretty cool but kinda pricy for me; but hey what's that there, half price, similar features.. why don't I get that one instead!"

Btw, a Nokia executive/manager (forget his name now) in an interview with a Finnish online comp. magazine said that something like "tablet sales are satisfactory and slowly approaching N-Series phone sale figures". Probably the sale figures of say N71 or N90/N93 though. I.e. not massive.

I for one, really welcome the addition of a built-in keyboard - almost enough to upgrade my N800. One of the main obstacles to porting apps to the N800 is the input methods. Look at, for example, the RDP client (windows remote desktop) or Dosbox. Both apps work nicely on the N800, but you can't really use it because the virtual keyboard doesn't know it has to pop up when you activate an input area. If you have a BT keyboard, all is fine. I mean, literally, just compile Dosbox in scratchbox ARM target(no hacking needed!), copy to N800 along with Doom install files, and 10 minutes later you'll be hacking away at imps using your chainsaw. The frustration of knowing that this is all it takes when you don't have a BT keyboard around, is mind-numbing... The addition of the keyboard will make the life of many a non-GTK application porter so much easier - leading to many more applications ported.

I would however have liked to keep the SD card slots. I don't think the extra 3-4 millimeters in size is a problem. Either it will fit in your pocket or it wont - 3 mm doesn't change that.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Near Paris, France
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
They said memory cards (plural) so that implies two...
looks like there's only one memory card slot, right ?

Yes. I believe the plural refered to multiple types of cards, i.e. micro-SD and mini-SD.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The discussion is starting to become more objective and meaningful... thanks TA-t3.

I'm warming up to the idea of a slide-out keyboard. So long as I can still use the touch thumbboard for typing, i can just consider the hwkb to be a slide-out gaming controller. (it will make dosbox alot easier to use)

Not too awful.

SD -> miniSD? It happens. Every device is sliding down to the smaller slots. We pick up USB OTG though, and imo that more than makes up for it.

GPS is neat and I'd worry about what that does to the battery life. Except that I don't need GPS most times. I'd imagine that we can turn off the GPS as we can do with BT and wifi atm. And if so, we likely gain quite a bit of usable time. win-win.
(assuming the battery life estimates are with the GPS radio on. Which I'd imagine they are, since the n800 estimates are inline with having the wifi radio on.)

The new form-factor is seriously sexy. Points for the ambient light sensor, transflective screen and keeping the kickstand. Does this thing have a rugged anti-scratch glass screen ala thatOnePhone? It'd be a seriously awesome addition and the increased weight/price of the device makes me wonder if its not already there.

Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post
The new form-factor is seriously sexy. Points for the ambient light sensor, transflective screen and keeping the kickstand.
Did the screen change from the N800? Is that what was meant by "20% brighter"?