Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by flegg View Post
on another note my n900 told me there was an update for tvc player today so ive installed it and new tvc player wont load. when clicked on the window appears and then quits itself after 3 or 4 seconds. any ideas what could be causing this? ive tried rebooting but to no avail.
Thanks for telling me! That's because of a missing dependency. I've uploaded a new version in which it is fixed. It should be available in half an hour or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to arajantie For This Useful Post:
hay guys, how do i reset my password in the programe???
i click view now and it asked for user name and password which i entered, then a terminal window poped up asking for the same info, however i belive i have entered the password wrong, but i dont know how to reset it, cheers snake

The username and password and in folder /home/user/.tvcplayer in files username and password, respectively, so you can reset them by deleting these files. Alternatively, choose "Account details" in the menu and re-enter them.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
Hi everyone. Could someone else please check if they are getting an error trying to play bbc1? when i attempt to play bbc1 the cache does not fill up and it never starts. all other stations work ok.

thanks.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
problem seems to have gone away....suddenly after days of not working it has started working again!

:->

Sorry its actually M.tvcatchup.com that works for n900. you can choose a high or low quality stream. althought high works fine over 3g if you only have a gprs signal low works well

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
downloaded again tvcplayer and I'm (also) getting the 'invalid playlist file' error. I saw it happened before to others but there was no real fix for it.
Any idea ?

The "Invalid playlist error" occurs because of a change that they made to the iphone.tvcatchup.com web page a few days ago. I've changed tvcplayer so that it should work again. The update should be available in extras-devel very soon.

You can also get the same error if there is a problem with the server or the connection. Therefore I have changed the to display the playlist file if there is an error, so that the error can be identified.

I've also added one new feature: In the "Mplayer options" dialog, there are now presets available for "Speed" and "Quality". The first tries to keep the frame rate up at the cost of picture quality, and the other does the opposite.

quick tip for UK folks who want to see some live UK tv while temporarily abroad:

if you setup openvpn on your n900 back to a server at home (such that you can use your home broadband connection as a gateway, and its IP address for "location" purposes), the n900 app can then stream live TV over the VPN regardless of where you happen to be physically.

However, if (like me) your home BB upload speed is not great - I get around 500-600kbps max - you'll find that even the low quality stream may not play well: your home upload speed becomes the effective max download speed while you're on the VPN. I found that I was getting smooth streaming but with regular "jumps" - presumably buffer underrun followed by resync.

If so, you can kick off tvcplayer on the n900, and wait until it has buffered content and starts mplayer - once you are watching the stream, you can safely disconnect the VPN with the result that you can then download at the true rate of your foreign connection rather than the crippled VPN speed :-)

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post: