Active Topics

hey guys maybe you have some tips or know how to fix this... but anyway i am using the offical battery nokia gave me... erm the battery got so hot when pressed against a cheek you have to recoil... and it heats up the rest of the phone like the key pad and behind the whole back of the phone... it dosnt affect phone it just makes the phone extremely hot... which is really annoying... so tips on resolving this or just general tips

p.s this mostly occurs after my n900 has been fully charged and i want to use it

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
What sort of charger are you using? High ampage one will make it hot.
Beside as long your device is not always running at 600Mhz or OC'd then it should be fine.

Heat only generated when you're using the CPU to its maximum clock speed if is not from the charger.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
overclocking? or are you in a location with 20 to 30 degrees of temp?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Power consumtion in general heats up the Battery.
If you use Wireless extensively to watch Movies or something like that the battery might get warm. Even a bit more, if you charge you Battery in an hour and then get it empty in the next hour.
But it shouldnt get HOT as in "ouch, my finger"
If THIS happens you LiIon might be millimeters away from exploding and i would suggest not to use it anymore and get a new one.

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
using the help of this Link
tell us what is the temperature reading you are getting...
and furthur more in the link it will also tell you what are the critical temp. you should replace your battery for
maybe also you got an app that is running at full speed all the time (using an app from extras-devel) try the top command in your terminal and check if something taking up all of your processor
but if what you are saying is true then you should really replace your battery!

I noticed the other day that my phone's battery was running out quickly and it was hotter than usual - it was since I installed the Firefox 4 beta. For some reason the application stayed open after I closed it and kept my phone clocked at 750mhz. Try rebooting the phone and see if it still does it, could be a rogue application that stayed open.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Extra heating when charging could be a sign of low impedance, the telltale of a dying battery. It could be a manufacturinmg defect or simply am old battery.

Try with another battery. Also, battery should never heat to the point where holding it against a cheek is hard. That's almost 60C, the critical level of Li-io chemistry.

If it gets that hot, let it cool before using the phone. And please try another battery. Lithium fails catastrophically.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by I-Opt1c-h4ck3r-I View Post
hey guys maybe you have some tips or know how to fix this... but anyway i am using the offical battery nokia gave me... erm the battery got so hot when pressed against a cheek you have to recoil... and it heats up the rest of the phone like the key pad and behind the whole back of the phone... it dosnt affect phone it just makes the phone extremely hot... which is really annoying... so tips on resolving this or just general tips

p.s this mostly occurs after my n900 has been fully charged and i want to use it
First thing first, we need to know the accurate reading of the temperature when the problem arised. Run the following script when this happen and tell us the result:

Code:
echo "modprobe bq27x00_battery" | root
echo temperature:`cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/temp`
echo "modprobe -r bq27x00_battery" | root
(You need to install rootsh first before running them.)

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Lithium fails catastrophically.
Yes, it does. I wasnt joking when i said "explode". (also its more a darting flame than an explosion)

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
(You need to install rootsh first before running them.)
And he'd also need power-kernel or another nonstandard kernel.