Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi, I'm in Australia and was wondering if anyone can suggest me as to how I can access data from the server which some web page is using to provide information. To be specific, I want to write an app for a cityrail in australia but couldn't figureout as to where to start. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Hi, I'm in Australia and was wondering if anyone can suggest me as to how I can access data from the server which some web page is using to provide information. To be specific, I want to write an app for a cityrail in australia but couldn't figureout as to where to start. Thanks
Take a look a the wget source code, there you can find plenty of inspiration.

PS.: also the busybox wget applet should do it if you like it more compact.

@farmatito: thanks for the reply, I'll be looking through them. However, I had the impression that provider of such services via internet have a particular API to interact with their data server, don't they? like facebook etc.. thanks

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
@farmatito: thanks for the reply, I'll be looking through them. However, I had the impression that provider of such services via internet have a particular API to interact with their data server, don't they? like facebook etc.. thanks
Some sites supply a specialized API to get or send information via their web server(s), not all.

In many cases you are forced to download the HTML, parse it (in one of several ways), extract the information you're looking for and use that. This is sometimes called "site scraping".

To supply information, via forms, you need to create the specific GET or POST request and simulate entering data into a form and clicking the "Send" button.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Hi joorin thanks for the reply. if you can suggest me some good guides on this would be great, as its completely new thing for me, however I'm doing my part of googling as well . thanks

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Have a go with libcurl, it's pretty basic but has some special features:

http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/example.html

You'll find an example with HTML parsing too, using libxml.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Austria
jaeezzy:
in C:
to fetch data from a HTTP server, use libcurl.
To use XML-RPC, use libsoup (<http://library.gnome.org/devel/libsoup/stable/libsoup-24-XMLRPC-Support.html>).
To automate HTML forms, use libsoup (<http://library.gnome.org/devel/libsoup/stable/libsoup-2.4-HTML-Form-Support.html>).

or if you use Python:
just use urllib, BeautifulSoup and xmlrpclib (<http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/>) (simpler to use than the above).

The Following User Says Thank You to dannym For This Useful Post:
How are you doing in your project you talk about here?, i want to do something similar and i'd be very happy if you could share any information...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by farmatito View Post
Take a look a the wget source code, there you can find plenty of inspiration.

PS.: also the busybox wget applet should do it if you like it more compact.
if you dont must go with gtk use QT instead and qtnetworkmanager api its ver easy api imho

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: