Active Topics

it's happening again!
thanks nokia and its stupid programmers, i have thumbs, but cant dial a number!

Great, I'm about to listen to my songs in 46 minutes
I'm lucky to have it overclocked to 900mhz

also, a 3.7 system load is pretty standard...

ahhh sorry, forgot that this is the new iPhone forum, I'm complaining but n900 is perfect and the nerds will say that i'm bad! i'm wrong...
Attached Images

as per me.. if i weigh the pros and cons of the phone.. pros are far more than cons.

As far as tracker is concerned.. well i have a modified copy of it.. I replace the original one with the edited one and i restore back the original one when im going to sleep or i have actually added/removed some stuff from the phone.

I don't know whats the big deal in doing that. ppl are talking about iphone.. well iphone4 users certainly are using a "bumper" for their phones for the rest of their lives..
I think what im doing to handle tracker is nothing in front of it..

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think I read on here that MeeGo is also using tracker (correct me if I'm wrong)

thumbnailer/indexer and apt-worker/update checks are the reason for 95% of unresponsiveness problems I've had on my N900. I am using it for web browsing or whatever, things are going great and then suddenly it is nearly unusable for several minutes. Switch over to conky and sure enough one of those things is going full steam ahead.

The lag seemed to get much worse after PR1.2, I guess because much of it was moved to /opt which I believe is slower(?)

Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I think I read on here that MeeGo is also using tracker (correct me if I'm wrong)

thumbnailer/indexer and apt-worker/update checks are the reason for 95% of unresponsiveness problems I've had on my N900. I am using it for web browsing or whatever, things are going great and then suddenly it is nearly unusable for several minutes. Switch over to conky and sure enough one of those things is going full steam ahead.

The lag seemed to get much worse after PR1.2, I guess because much of it was moved to /opt which I believe is slower(?)
The greatest cause of all the lag is low RAM. Essential stuff gets paged out and you're stuck with an unresponsive system while tracker and apt-worker are slamming the flash. So you're fighting paging vs. regular IOs, when in fact a lot of stuff getting paged out shouldn't be.

I certainly hope the N9 has 512MB of RAM, preferrably more.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Despite loving the N900, there are several problems with software, including these four issues:
1. Problem: Apt worker causing load. Solution: Set Apt to check automatically once every year. Problem solved.
2. Problem: Thumbnailer Daemon using lots of power. Solution: Disable it forcefully by renaming the executable. Problem solved.
3. Problem: Media player is horrible(Can't add songs by filename to now-playing, auto-index never works right, not all file-types are supported). Solution: Install alternate player, like KMPlayer.
4. Problem: hildon-desktop eats batterylife. Solution: Install fixed version of hildon-desktop.

As you can see, these problems are a big deal... but they can all be dealt with! All it takes is a little manual configuration.

I -would- like to see a simple Python app for doing a lot of this configuration stuff - It would really help the command-line-newbs, but that's a topic for a different day.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
The greatest cause of all the lag is low RAM. Essential stuff gets paged out and you're stuck with an unresponsive system while tracker and apt-worker are slamming the flash. So you're fighting paging vs. regular IOs, when in fact a lot of stuff getting paged out shouldn't be.

I certainly hope the N9 has 512MB of RAM, preferrably more.
Will that really help if swappiness set to 100 by default?

Have you try turning EnableFileContentIndexing off in Tracker Cfg?

It might help reducing tracker spend too much time looking into the files for no benefit (since the indexing of file content is of no/little use on N900).. Media Player will grab the tag and cover art anyway.

Swappolube helps, too.

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Despite loving the N900, there are several problems with software, including these four issues:
1. Problem: Apt worker causing load. Solution: Set Apt to check automatically once every year. Problem solved.
2. Problem: Thumbnailer Daemon using lots of power. Solution: Disable it forcefully by renaming the executable. Problem solved.
3. Problem: Media player is horrible(Can't add songs by filename to now-playing, auto-index never works right, not all file-types are supported). Solution: Install alternate player, like KMPlayer.
4. Problem: hildon-desktop eats batterylife. Solution: Install fixed version of hildon-desktop.

As you can see, these problems are a big deal... but they can all be dealt with! All it takes is a little manual configuration.

I -would- like to see a simple Python app for doing a lot of this configuration stuff - It would really help the command-line-newbs, but that's a topic for a different day.
So that no one has to replicate the searching I just did

1. http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Ma..._Updates_Check

2. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=806967&postcount=4

3. self-explanatory

4. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=43

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travik For This Useful Post:

Tags
grass-greener, uk got pwned, vagiclean