Notices

Hi nicolai.

I have request for you if possible please provide an option to select default/home/main desktop reason for this use-case is as follows..

like many others I have one desktop which has calender widget, yellow notes, around 8 to 10 important application shortcuts, bluewiz widget , recaller widget and a next alarm widget... i use this desktop as my home desktop.

now the problem is everytime I switch other desktop i have to manually switch it back.. which becomes annoying.. also whenever I unlock my phone I prefer to see my home desktop as its my center of Maemo play

I request you to add feature which gives an option to select a default/home/main desktop.. so every time I lock my phone it gets switched to default desktop and when I open the lock its I am at home desktop ...

regards

Lav

Last edited by lav4you; 2010-10-15 at 12:01.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Minimalist
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by lav4you View Post
Hi nicolai.

I have request for you if possible please provide an option to select default/home/main desktop reason for this use-case is as follows..

like many others I have one desktop which has calender widget, yellow notes, around 8 to 10 important application shortcuts, bluewiz widget , recaller widget and a next alarm widget... i use this desktop as my home desktop.

now the problem is everytime I switch other desktop i have to manually switch it back.. which becomes annoying.. also whenever I unlock my phone I prefer to see my home desktop as its my center of Maemo play

I request you to add feature which gives an option to select a default/home/main desktop.. so every time I lock my phone it gets switched to default desktop and when I open the lock its I am at home desktop ...

regards

Lav
Why don't you just put an icon on other desktops to go to the home one?

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
That's what I've done too, having also that 'home screen' concept. I do find this 'auto-homing on lock' idea interesting, however, as it complements it rather than replace it.

Technically I suspect it would be easier to do with the d-bus calls (and modified hildon-desktop) other switchers use, than with nicolai's method which works with the constraints of the standard desktop.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
That's what I've done too, having also that 'home screen' concept. I do find this 'auto-homing on lock' idea interesting, however, as it complements it rather than replace it.

I'm not sure on your desktop layouts, but i can't imagine that always being convenient. For instance, if i have music playing, my media desktop isn't my home desktop, and it'd be a pain having to unlock and switch back to the media screen each time i want to change a track

Well, in any case it would have to be optional, of course

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
I'm not sure on your desktop layouts, but i can't imagine that always being convenient. For instance, if i have music playing, my media desktop isn't my home desktop, and it'd be a pain having to unlock and switch back to the media screen each time i want to change a track

yes I sugest it should be optional so I can select and deselect the home screen switch..

My friend richwhite its primary use case is when N900 gets locked and when I unlock it I want to be at my home screen

... n not when i am already using desktop.

Originally Posted by lav4you View Post
yes I sugest it should be optional so I can select and deselect the home screen switch..

My friend richwhite its primary use case is when N900 gets locked and when I unlock it I want to be at my home screen

... n not when i am already using desktop.
I know, but what i meant with the media example is for instance if i'm on a train i select a track then lock it and put it in my pocket. If i want to change track or artist or do anything on that screen, would it not be cumbersome to have to unlock the device then switch back to the screen? It presents the same problem as what you have but in reverse

I know, but what i meant with the media example is for instance if i'm on a train i select a track then lock it and put it in my pocket. If i want to change track or artist or do anything on that screen, would it not be cumbersome to have to unlock the device then switch back to the screen? It presents the same problem as what you have but in reverse

Yeas I understand what you have mentioned...

but the concept of having home screen is differnt than this

it means to accumulate all frequent and most likely task on one screen as per our needs and preferences..incase my case its calender and application shortcuts may be u will have music player and location widget.. some one else will have something different..
now declaring such screen as home screen and this home screen will be available to me whenever I unlock my phone... working as a deshbord for my preferences..

To make it simple I propose to add a a widget in task shortcut menu(which arrears after we tap on battery icon.. I dont know the correct name)
with check box option to activate home screen and next to that boxes with the 1,2,3,4 to select which screen should be home screen.

now whenver I activate home it goes according to the concept which I am requesting for and when u unchecked its works in normal mode...

please people tell me how you find this idea??

regards,

lav

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
The switcher widget doesn't need to be a certain size, i made mine 64x64 to be in keeping with the rest of my icons, but just make them the size you want on picresize.com, save as .png and that's it
I wanted to use a screenshot of my other desktops on the widgets and I didn't want to keep the 64X64 size. I wanted it to be a bit larger. Is this not possible yet?