Active Topics

Notices

Hi fellows, I am using N900 for some time already and I figure the pre-installed calculator is way not good enough. I would like to seach for some scientific calculator apps for N900. Are there any suggestions? Thanks for all of your advice.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
There is more than one, such as free42. Have you looked in the repositories?? Do you even HAVE repositories installed? this stulff has been there since day one. It helps to use the app manager and search before you post in a thread for help. Its very simple to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I'm looking for testers for Mopedi, which is an offline wikipedia reader.
It is a commercial application, which I plan to put to Ovi store for N900, once finished.

What's in it for you, you may ask? Well, you'll get the best offline wikipedia reader for free, and before anyone else.

If interested, please drop an email to "grego at mpaja.com"

Grego

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Bidybag View Post
I thought the Nokia n900 had been out in the US so wouldn't there be more applications by now?
Because we eat our young.

Read this >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...779#post848779 << and in less than 10 posts see how a thread in this communities forum extoling the virtues and value of a new, low cost OVI app devolves into a justification for one member to provide it for free.

Why bother? It doesn't matter to a developer if the ships on the horizon are Pirates or they are instead Privateers each flying their own perversion of the FOSS flag. The means that they use to pillage the work of a developer are the same.

In fact developers are safer in the protected iStore harbors since the only war ships that they may see are Pirates and those belonging to their well armed protective harbours... and even then there are less Pirates. Pirates by and large are a lazy bunch and many will instead sail toward the easier pickings that the "Privateers" expose.

Privateers are generally not lazy but you may find that they do not work as hard as Pirates do preparing for a conquest. Unlike Pirates, sometimes much of a Privateer's overhead is subsidized by an unseen master. They may be just another 9 to 5, anal retentive code monkey who believe they are "sticking it to the man".

In some ways, I have much more respect for a Pirate.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

Read this >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...779#post848779 << and in less than 10 posts see how a thread in this communities forum extoling the virtues and value of a new, low cost OVI app devolves into a justification for one member to provide it for free.

Why bother? It doesn't matter to a developer if the ships on the horizon are Pirates or they are instead Privateers each flying their own perversion of the FOSS flag. The means that they use to pillage the work of a developer are the same.

In fact developers are safer in the protected iStore harbors since the only war ships that they may see are Pirates and those belonging to their well armed protective harbours... and even then there are less Pirates. Pirates by and large are a lazy bunch and many will instead sail toward the easier pickings that the "Privateers" expose.

Privateers are generally not lazy but you may find that they do not work as hard as Pirates do preparing for a conquest. Unlike Pirates, sometimes much of a Privateer's overhead is subsidized by an unseen master. They may be just another 9 to 5, anal retentive code monkey who believe they are "sticking it to the man".

In some ways, I have much more respect for a Pirate.
That's a big bunch of BS and you know it.

1. Matan did only what he did to prove a point. A point I actually agree with. If the original developers of Stellarium, wish it to be GPL, Fabien has no right to change the license. I guess Matan is a very strong believer of FOSS and GPL and things like these might have pushed him to extreme measures. I would happily pay 3 euros as a thanks for the application, but there should have been better distribution of the source if it is still GPL (I do not know if there is a link in the app. I have not tried it yet). Although I wouldn't have shared it like Matan did, especially with all this confusion whether it IS GPL or not after all, I did feel a bit like Matan did when I first saw it in OVI store. Of course Nokia might have released it themselves and keep all profit, but if it still is GPL, Matan did have the right to share it, and the original developer who didn't want it to be closed source should be respected too. I am not against demanding to be paid for your work. I am opposed against closed source if it is GPL.

2. Maemo does not have a lot of apps and games because it has a too small user base. Not because of lack of DRM. DRM only guarantees ONE download as seen here (doing a quick search):

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5766...ction.3135-TPB
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5604...mes_Utils__etc
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5300...s__amp__Apps_2
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4857..._App_Mega_Pack

3. I am guessing the fact that Meego was announced just after over two months after the N900 was released didn't help much,

Hopefully QT will bring more apps to Maemo since it is cross platform.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-10-23 at 17:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
We Want:
( More APP----More APP----More APP )

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
That's a big bunch of BS and you know it.

1. Matan did only what he did to prove a point. A point I actually agree with. If the original developers of Stellarium, wish it to be GPL, Fabien has no right to change the license. I guess Matan is a very strong believer of FOSS and GPL and things like these might have pushed him to extreme measures. I would happily pay 3 euros as a thanks for the application, but there should have been better distribution of the source if it is still GPL (I do not know if there is a link in the app. I have not tried it yet). Although I wouldn't have shared it like Matan did, especially with all this confusion whether it IS GPL or not after all, I did feel a bit like Matan did when I first saw it in OVI store. Of course Nokia might have released it themselves and keep all profit, but if it still is GPL, Matan did have the right to share it, and the original developer who didn't want it to be closed source should be respected too. I am not against demanding to be paid for your work. I am opposed against closed source if it is GPL.

2. Maemo does not have a lot of apps and games because it has a too small user base. Not because of lack of DRM. DRM only guarantees ONE download as seen here (doing a quick search):

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5766...ction.3135-TPB
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5604...mes_Utils__etc
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5300...s__amp__Apps_2
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4857..._App_Mega_Pack

3. I am guessing the fact that Meego was announced just after over two months after the N900 was released didn't help much,

Hopefully QT will bring more apps to Maemo since it is cross platform.
Says you.

And yet OVI is what it is...

I could care less about a license scheme if It doesn't concern me. Unless you either bought the app or contributed code, you are not a party to the terms of the license.

You guys keep shooting yourselves in the foot arguing over the principle instead of the dang principal.

What hurts us, the gentle readers is that all this BS and drama produces nothing and is therfore worthless.

All you principled fellas had a few years to sort this out yet here we are.

Did the fellow who "did what he did to prove a point" produce any of the code that he so generously offered free to everyone?

I believe his motivation may have simply been that he could... and to show others how he didn't think he should pay for someone else's work.

If I shot someone in the head in order to prove the point that guns kill; does that make it right?

And because I chose that method to prove that point wouldn't you think that maybe I had another Agenda?

BTW, after using the app in question and reading what the producer wrote about the code that was contributed by the GPL hold out >> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...arium-pubdevel

None of the features that the GPL hold out seemed to contribute regarding meteors is present in the Stellarium Mobile app I purchased through OVI.

Is it possible that this 400 odd lines of code was removed or replaced and the License statement on the About screen was overlooked and is now simply a bug that will be corrected in a subsequent version?

Would a bug justify this other fellas actions too?

Whatever the outcome is the reality remains, there isn't a whole lot of apps for the N900 in OVI. I for one was hoping QT would begin to change all that...

Sadly this chicken shyt that has now erupted over one of the first quality QT apps available may indicate that I was delusional in hoping so.

SLN member # 009

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I agree with you and disagree at the same time. I personally think Matan's actions are too bold and harsh, but at the same time he's not completely wrong. I don't agree with posting the package, but the source should be available. That I agree with.

If the 400 lines of code were removed after all, wouldn't that just be an insult and a 'f*ck you' to the original developer who made possible this application? It is irrelevant whether he had a big part or a small part in the making of, he still had a part and still has a say. If he wanted this app to remain open sourced, he should be respected more and still have a say in this. Fabien just picked where someone has left off. He shouldn't discredit the previous authors completely. You don't think that these actions might anger serious developers for linux into only releasing closed source to prevent anything similar happening? They came up with the idea and all of them worked on it. So they should be able to decide whether it remain open source or become closed source.

You mock apple so much about the fact that it is closed and now are defending closed source?

So yes, I agree with Matan that the source should be available and disagree with posting the package.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Hi fellows, I am using N900 for some time already and I figure the pre-installed calculator is way not good enough. I would like to seach for some scientific calculator apps for N900. Are there any suggestions? Thanks for all of your advice.
I just tried one out from ovi store: "simple & scientific calculator", which offers quite a lot, and is free. The colors are not chosen well IMO, but it's much better than the built-in one.

I'm actually using galculator through Easy Debian myself - in case you are already into Easy Debian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post

Indeed, maybe it's because I'm a professional dev that things like this really get up my nose. It's getting more and more frequent with more commercial debs etc being posted on these forums. Threads such as the "is piracy ok" show real entitlement issues, I think some people mix up open source with free of expense. And it's not just cost, code projects that myself and others have made and uploaded on various maemo forums often don't get so much of a "thanks" click. When people do acknowledge what you've done it's awesome and it really does encourage you to put in more effort and get more involved! But on other times for example 50 people could take the time to download the package of code, tutorial, art, sounds, etc etc you worked on and not one can find the 1 sec to click 'thanks', Really, little things like this do mean a lot and would help encourage more developers into creating more app projects. Seeing work going unappreciated makes you feel either your work is not up to standard or nobodies interested, and both is kinda discouraging. We have to remember that apps are developed on machines but not by machines - they are coded by real people with real lives, and they take effort, time, and sometimes the developer's own money to produce.

TBH i have one new project that's in release state and ready to upload, I've done my best to leave it so that others can easily continue on it if they wish. After uploading, I'm thinking about giving the community and the N900 a break because I can't reconcile the value I place on code with what the maemo community appears to me at the moment to place on it. It's a moralistic thing that's been bugging me to the point of being fed up. And I may be confusing things - Im not from a open source background and I don't understand it. I really don't understand all the various licenses. I like the idea of open and collaborative projects, I don't like people freely sharing commercial code behind a developer's back. Apart from any monetary loss it's not respectful to the developer to do so, I'm sure it would make a developer think twice about developing again if he found his commercial deb linked on a public forum. From what I can see, open source (or what is passing off as it) is not a philosophy I wanna subscribe to at this time.

Here endif the confused ramblings

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-10-24 at 01:22.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, apps, fart apps, free apps, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, more apps, ovi, ovi store, pay apps, software