Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It seems Nokia never really intended the N810 as a next gen replacement for the N800, but more as a same gen alternative model.
Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
I've been browsing this forums for months (but only registered today) been wanting to buy my first internet tablet N800 of course. I finally decided yesterday to buy it at Buy.com for $240 and then the evil twin brother N810 appeared. Aaaahhh I was so confused, so I changed my mind didnt order the N800. So wanting your advise people, do I have to buy the N810 instead? Thanks...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My advice: evaluate both, buy what fits your wants and needs best.

With the n800 being so cheap, I'd have a hard time recommending an n810 to anyone but travellers and geocachers. (people who'd mate the n800 to a GPS solution anyway)

or maybe a blog/flickr addict who'd get a ton of mileage out of the USB OTG support.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
thanks guys for your opinions/feedbacks. the N800 price and 2x8G storage is too tempting. but then N810s GPS capability and built in keyboard rocks. but who needs GPS anyway? i might just get N800 and buy a BT keyboard then update to OS 2008. case solved...
http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat...emo/index.html

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My advice: evaluate both, buy what fits your wants and needs best.
For a second when I read what you wrote I saw:

"My advice: buy both, evaluate what fits your wants and needs best."

<evil grin> Yes master... I shall obey. (Sadly I probably will anyway.)

Personally I am waiting for a 16Gb or even 32Gb SDHC cards that are less than about $100.00

ANOTHER BUYING POINT: You can now get a 16Gb card for SDHC but you can barely get a 4Gb for mini or micro. (Sure the 16Gb SDHC are $200.00 at the moment.) Since the N810 uses mini cards... be prepared to wait twice as long for cheap memory.

Originally Posted by ferjant View Post
I've been browsing this forums for months (but only registered today) been wanting to buy my first internet tablet N800 of course. I finally decided yesterday to buy it at Buy.com for $240 and then the evil twin brother N810 appeared. Aaaahhh I was so confused, so I changed my mind didnt order the N800. So wanting your advise people, do I have to buy the N810 instead? Thanks...

N810 costs US$479 and mini SD costs more than SDHC memory. If you do not use GPS
you should buy N800 for matter of half price. Use it for a year then buy next generation after N810 . That what I did.

Newly registered here too...

I'm in the same buying quandary. I would probably mate GPS to an N800 but OTOH, built-in with an included car mount is sweet. I don't see using the KB that much. My past experience with a Zaurus SL5500 was that I tended to ssh into it when I needed to type.

Once I have whichever unit, I plan to sell my Treo 700p and replace it with a Razr.

Jeff

Personally, I really want the GPS and the keyboard, but would prefer the full SD(HC) slots, but regardless of the slots think that I'd prefer the 810 for the GPS and keyboard as I said. The only issue is that I'm not sure that I can justify paying double the price just for GPS and a keyboard, so I don't know.

I think with ITOS2008, even N800 might keep selling (hopefully Nokia will sell them both like Apple did with iPhone and iPod touch, only here you have GPS/keyboard vs. lower cost)