Active Topics

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i've google and its near impossible to find i give up.
what search terms you used

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
Try the obvious? Can't help you with that mate. Don't want to get banned.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
I know that the reason for this is that when anyone with the skills can hack on a piece of software and "scratch their itches", the small-but-highly-irritating bugs get quickly fixed (e.g. RSS widget using data all the time, email widget doesn't notice that emails are read, phone UI glitches in PR1.2) and simple features get quickly implemented (e.g. ReplayGain in media player, recurring tasks in calendar, info on lock screen, portrait VKB).
Be careful not to mix two concepts here. The RSS feed reader, for example, is in fact free software. People can change it to "scratch their itches" - at least I did. What you'd expect is that Nokia accepts all these patches and uses them for the next releases. There may be good reasons for Nokia not to do just that. But why would it matter? Fork!

(I'm aware you can't fork the phone UI, but you can fork the RSS reader, you can replace the media player, you can write a new mail widget... Those are applications, not the OS, right? You wouldn't judge Microsoft Windows by the quality of MS Paint.)

Originally Posted by cibyr View Post
[edit] Forgot to say: what really hurts, is that the N900 is still the closest thing to my idea of a perfect, open-source phone. Every advantage it had over the competition when I bought it a year ago it still has. It's still got the fastest CPU that Nokia has ever put in a phone, it's still got one of the best hardware keyboards and Maemo is still the least consumer-hostile mobile OS I've ever seen. What other phone can you download a completely unrestricted flashing tool for, straight from the manufacturer? Yet so many people want to make it better, and are continuously frustrated that they can't, and even more frustrated that there's no where else to go.
So what does this tell you? If what Nokia achieves is still (after so many years!) the best you get on the market, they must be doing something right. And if you're still not content, expectations may simply be unrealistic.

You are looking for a leaked pr1.3 which we are told is from week 36.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoothc For This Useful Post:
abimanyug twitter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
removed

Last edited by longcat; 2010-10-19 at 10:03.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Watch out speaking of sacred unreleased mystical firmware,
the Nokian Gods shall smite thee!!

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-10-19 at 10:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
The RSS feed reader, for example, is in fact free software. People can change it to "scratch their itches" - at least I did.
Bug 8002 - which made the RSS reader widget unusable for anyone with a limited data plan - was apparently fixed on the 9th of Feburary 2010, in "osso-rss-feed-reader 1.8.03-3+0m5". The fix was unavailable to end users - even end users like me willing to enable unsupported repositories, install dev tools and build our own packages - until the release of PR 1.2, months later. The only source code I can find for it is on Gitorious, which hasn't been touched since 2009. Not exactly encouraging, is it?

you can replace the media player, you can write a new mail widget... Those are applications, not the OS, right? You wouldn't judge Microsoft Windows by the quality of MS Paint.)
But nobody wants to re-implement an entire media player to fix one bug or add one feature. Sure, there are a few efforts in that direction, but they're not really up to scratch (yet?), are they? I think it's fair to just Microsoft Windows by the quality of Explorer and there are plenty of itchy Maemo components that are about as replaceable as Windows Explorer.

If what Nokia achieves is still (after so many years!) the best you get on the market, they must be doing something right.
That's what's so frustrating: they get so much right, but seem unwilling or unable to learn from their successes.

[edit] Just wanted to add: the existence of multiple 3rd-party Maemo apps with their own, independently developed, portrait on-screen-keyboards speaks volumes about the ability to scratch itches in Maemo.

Last edited by cibyr; 2010-10-19 at 10:02.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cibyr For This Useful Post:
So, has anyone tried the leaked firmware? If there's no worthwhile improvements I won't have to bother reflashing

The Following User Says Thank You to Arif For This Useful Post:

Tags
bigbadidiot, chucknorris, jesus wept, mustread, paradise, umopapisdn