Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Once again, I defer to what theflew used as meters, since I was asking him to clarify parallel questions for his data. You know--the context was the conversation that I was having with him. You know what context and thread are, right?
and what was the initial question (by theflew) again? it was all about decision speed.

how does the meters you introduced affect the point you contested in the first place?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-10-19 at 10:47. Reason: additions for clarification

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Nokia got one problem. That problem is software engineering. They lack skilled people and they lack experience. The whole Maemo project have been one huge sand-box experience for Nokia. They had to do it simply to gain experience andknowledge. They are starting to improve now with Symbian3 and 4 and MeeGo. They are still behind Apple and Google, but will catch up very fast now.

The Qt strategy is one part of this, and shows they are on the right track. But things like this take time.

Apple pies and cute warm hearted CEOs means nothing. When the engineers lack the skills, there is only one thing to do: get that skill somehow. Nokia does it the right way, from the ground within the organisation. They will succeed.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Software, software, software. People love the idiot -proof iphone. Maemo is as intuitive if not better, but its the small, unfinished rough edges that need polishing............

if you want to play in the Premier league, there can be no love lost. Nokia makes beautiful phones, but they need to improve their software delivery

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
fanboy fap? fansmith fapsmith :P

The Following User Says Thank You to longcat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Once again, I defer to what theflew used as meters, since I was asking him to clarify parallel questions for his data. You know--the context was the conversation that I was having with him. You know what context and thread are, right?
I didn't state any data points except that decision making of a larger organization will take more time than a smaller one. Look at the patent fight between Nokia and Apple. Nokia's lawsuit goes to the very root of a GSM phone. Apple choose to ignore the little details of licensing from the people who hold the rights, but they got a product out fast.

My whole point was articles like these try to compare companies that have vastly different corporate cultures - some good some bad. What works for one company can't just be replicated in another and expected to work. Apple works because of Steve Jobs. Most companies don't have a SJ running them so the companies are run like "businesses" based more on consensus versus Apple which seems to be run from the top down.

Only time will tell if Nokia and/or Apple is overall successful. I just think people write off $60B companies a little to easily based on the blog of the day.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Nokia got one problem. That problem is software engineering. They lack skilled people and they lack experience. The whole Maemo project have been one huge sand-box experience for Nokia. They had to do it simply to gain experience andknowledge. They are starting to improve now with Symbian3 and 4 and MeeGo. They are still behind Apple and Google, but will catch up very fast now.

The Qt strategy is one part of this, and shows they are on the right track. But things like this take time.

Apple pies and cute warm hearted CEOs means nothing. When the engineers lack the skills, there is only one thing to do: get that skill somehow. Nokia does it the right way, from the ground within the organisation. They will succeed.
I don't agree with this. I think Nokia's software engineers are as good as anyone else. Maemo was a sandbox. Name another company in 2006/2007 that was putting Linux on a phone sized devices (770) - it was ground breaking. The misstep was Nokia should have accelerated the program. Instead it stayed in the sandbox. The N800 was a great devices which now mirrors some of the larger phones that are out now, but did it 2 years ago (screen size, resolution). Then they blundered again when there was no follow-up to the N810 prior to the N900.

My only hope is Nokia is on the edge with the N9 versus matching the competition.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Motorola was experimenting with their linux based platform at 2006/2007, they was trying from "ezx" distribution in 2006 and "motomagx" in 2007.

they were closed, slow, poor documented, discarded fast and violates the gpl, but they were trying.

Last edited by clasificado; 2010-10-19 at 16:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to clasificado For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
If that was true it would come with a complete library of Vogon poetry and the necessary neural inputs required to "enjoy" it.

I suppose Nokia is not that cruel, however
Ever use the BH-600 for a whole day? Do not dimiss the Vogon theory too quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
N-series were made "like Ferraris with a Fiat engine under the hood". sooo true

I really liked the article its kinda long but spot on and very well written, espacilly the part about Apple pie and clock ticking

Anyone knows Stephen Elop's email?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following User Says Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Ultimately, I liked the article and the format, but I would have liked just a very small addition of tangible substance to the article like perhaps some citations or statistics to help bear out some of the points. He did point out that he got a lot of the opinions of former managers and workers, though, so that does count for something. I get the feeling that he was probably bang on.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
fanboy fap, heyheyheygoodby