Notices

This is my second N900. Sadly, my first one was stolen about a month ago. It was blocked by password. My first question is:

1. Is there a way the person who stole the device can access the phone even if he does not know the password?

2. Does N900 offer a remote lock protection, like most Symbian S60 have? I searched for it, but couldn't find it. If not, what other way can I have to secure my device remotely?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I'm pretty sure this is possible with SMSCon - if for no other reason than because SMSCon now allows you to define a custom shell script. So if you're paranoid, you can have a script that deletes EVERYTHING it can, including what system files it can get to, and then shuts the N900 down. N900 should then become unbootable - though flashable.

I have no idea what the remote lock on symbian is like, but I'm pretty sure something as simple as remote locking it is possible.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that a person who has physical access to your device will always be capable of getting into your data. (Not necessarily in practice, but in principle.) There was a way to circumvent the lock code posted on this very forum some brief amount of time ago.

The lucky part is the average thief PROBABLY won't know how to do what needs to be done to get around the lock code, but still, it's something.